Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

30 CASES, God those were the days!!!
    I just drank 30 cases of beer so it was relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

bpb101 wrote: »
    One of you iphone and the other is android?
    Im iPhone and havent got the covid one, but have for other things

Maybe they were annoying people, but id would have liken to keep them.

Both iPhone. Only difference is I’m on iOS 14, could be that?

Although I’m getting other RTÉ notifications so not sure. Depending on their vendor, they pay for notifications sent, so maybe they’re sending them to a subset now. Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ok so you guys think a large proportion of our cases are false even though the assays and methods havent changed and are detecting the same virus, the same way it has from the start with over a 99% rate of detecting the virus when it is present.

It's the second wave though. Whole economies and societies are being closed down based on these test results. The decision to close societies is based on the assumption that those cases are infectious and a real threat to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

BOOO !! Has the sky fallen down yet ?

Can people please give Hego a like for his joke. He's put a lot of effort into it.

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Are we all dead yet ?
    BOOO!!!!
    BOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    Has the sky fallen down yet ?

• Advertisement

It's the second wave though. Whole economies and societies are being closed down based on these test results. The decision to close societies is based on the assumption that those cases are infectious and a real threat to others.

So you did mean to post that tweet.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    So you did mean to post that tweet.

Not allowed to question if a case is a case. We need to find the real cases. There's obviously a problem with testing given hses disclosure tonight and problems all over the world or do we just ignore the problem. Covid is 100 per cent real and has caused alot of suffering.Testing is now a problem. Does this offend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Ok so you guys think a large proportion of our cases are false even though the assays and methods havent changed and are detecting the same virus, the same way it has from the start with over a 99% rate of detecting the virus when it is present.

Assuming that for every 125 tests, you will have 1 false positive (as some are saying)
    It means New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Lativa, Lithuania, Taiwan, Malayasia & Thailand, all of their positive cases are in fact false positives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I think it’s wrong too. Based on this explanation using 80% sensitivity and 99.9% specificity as an example and an actual positivity rate of 0.1%

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-many-covid-diagnoses-are-false-positives-

What the 99% sensitivity is is not what you think it is. Looks like people think it is the positive predictive value. It's not.

A serious amount of misinformation flying around regarding this. It's not easy to grasp and I count myself when saying this. I doubt this will make any difference to people with entrenched opinions.

I honestly don't know if it's a problem. It might well be.
    They need to clarify it.

527148.jpg

527149.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Why did the CDC remove their comment that the virus is airborne?

• Advertisement

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Eh did you mean to post that here ?

Didn't realise your a mod now. You seem to be suggesting conspiracy theories etc. I'm reflecting the growing frustrations and limitations people are having with testing at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/government-will-spend-9bn-on-covid-19-fight-next-year-39554685.html

"The Government will spend €9bn next year fighting Covid-19, Public Expenditure Minister Michael McGrath has revealed." my god.

Now maybe stupid old douglashyde has got the maths wrong, but: we're seeing virtually no deaths / slight increases in hospital admissions and most importantly an advanced mean age of death (83) and 98% comorbidity with COVID 19. We have livelihoods massively impacted, other health conditions neglected... life taken out of life.

Then, we as a country are committing 9BN to combat this virus.

I remember sitting with my wife in St Vincents (about 2016) with what was thought was an mild aneurism or tumor on the brain for a scan for 48 hours - turns out it was an atypical migraine.... Every year we go through the same-old winter of under funded health care with little money/effort to fix the problem..... We need serious capital investment across this country in general.

The level of bureaucracy, status quo and lack of critical thinking from what is suppose to be the 'the middle' parties is amazing.

Maybe the masses will need to feel it first hand before they question the obvious.... I'm not worried about about CV19, I'm worried about what comes next because of the induced lunacy.

Is there any update to be had in regards to Louth, Donegal and Waterford?

Are we expecting level 3 imposed soon, or is it more likely they will let the 3 week dublin restrictions run their course before closing anywhere else down?

I doubt this will make any difference to people with entrenched opinions.
    You said false negatives would outweigh false positives because of the differing rates. This would be true if there were similar numbers of both positives and negatives in the population, but there aren't.
    You also have to take into account the number of positives and negatives that actually exist.

It's like if I drop a beach ball off a roof in Leitrim vs. dropping a table tennis ball off a roof in central London. Sure, the beach ball would be more likely to catch someone a smack if there were the same number of pedestrians wandering about, but because there are a gazillion pedestrians for the table tennis ball to hit, it's more likely to hit someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

With all due respect, how do you know the NVRL haven’t changed testing methods since March?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Ficheall wrote: »
    You said false negatives would outweigh false positives because of the differing rates. This would be true if there were similar numbers of both positives and negatives in the population, but there aren't.
    You also have to take into account the number of positives and negatives that actually exist.

It's like if I drop a beach ball off a roof in Leitrim vs. dropping a table tennis ball off a roof in central London. Sure, the beach ball would be more likely to catch someone a smack if there were the same number of pedestrians wandering about, but because there are a gazillion pedestrians for the table tennis ball to hit, it's more likely to hit someone.

Yeah I see your point. You are right. I did a bit a research and I'm still a bit confused. I would hope that people getting sent for testing have a higher probability of having covid as in they had a close contact or symptoms etc. I guess it comes down to the probability of someone having covid getting sent for a test. I posted the formula and a visualisation to help. I also said it could well be an issue and the government need to clarify.

This is not my area of expertise so I'll not get involved if that's ok.

I'll follow my own advice and say "I don't know".

Fair play if you do know. I'll let other's like yourself keep me informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Not allowed to question if a case is a case. We need to find the real cases. There's obviously a problem with testing given hses disclosure tonight and problems all over the world or do we just ignore the problem. Covid is 100 per cent real and has caused alot of suffering.Testing is now a problem. Does this offend?

Its a problem for sure but it doesn't change the fact that ICUs and hospitals are getting busier with covid patients. Its better than false negatives at least.

Of course you are allowed question anything .

But in questioning one needs to make sure that the information you are using to question is reliable , factual and not biased .

The tweet I was asking about was the link you posted to a person called Andrew Bostom .

Do you know anything about him or do you just like what he has to say ?

Didn't realise your a mod now. You seem to be suggesting conspiracy theories etc. I'm reflecting the growing frustrations and limitations people are having with testing at present.

Why would you say that ? All I wondered was why you were posting a tweet from an American guy who , by the way , appears to be an anti mask and Covid conspiracy theorists , without saying anything about it . Why would that be modding ?
    I never thought it was about conspiracy theories till you posted it , just thought you made a mistake and hit on the wrong link .
    Now I know it is , and am not interested . Goodnight .

She was on BBC Question time last week as well.

And didn't come across well at all, a telecoms billionaire on the same panel had her flustered and stuttering.

• Advertisement

Yeah I see your point. You are right. I did a bit a research and I'm still a bit confused. I would hope that people getting sent for testing have a higher probability of having covid as in they had a close contact or symptoms etc. I guess it comes down to the probability of someone having covid getting sent for a test. I posted the formula and a visualisation to help.

Fair play if you do know. I'll let other's like yourself keep me informed.
    I know nothing about the medicine aspect of it, just the general maths of it. And you are correct - people being sent for testing do have a higher chance than random selection, but the number of negative cases being referred (for now!) still far outweigh the positives.

This is not my area of expertise so I'll not get involved if that's ok.

I'll follow my own advice and say "I don't know".
    This is not at all in the spirit of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Really am baffled by the attitude you’ve grown in the last few weeks on here. Informative posting and really decent analysis of numbers has turned into absolute showmanship and downright rudeness to anyone who may have a different view.

You’re telling posters to ignore people or “not bother” interacting because their views might be different or they hold them strongly. Sarcastically talking about degrees in testing after that poster said we’re not all equal in terms of knowledge, who was standing up for someone who does PCR testing as part of their job, and has been an absolute wealth of knowledge for those of us that don’t know about PCR testing.

Plenty of assumed information, anecdotal information, second hand information - don’t get me wrong here, all valuable in their own right - posted by you here over the last couple of months. And yet, when anyone else does similar, you jump down their throats for doing the exact same.

You can’t even wonder aloud here anymore about something unlikely but plausible without fear of being labelled a doom monger.

Tonight you posted a link that was disputed by many, right or wrong, and you’ve fought and fought it, even when the expert weighs in you just dismiss it as “ah sure neither of us know what we’re talking about”.

It’d be great to just have a discussion here tbh without all the extra attitude and snide comments.
    Hit the nail on the head. Who in their right mind posts sh*t from david quinn and believes it. As for someone unqualified telling someone who's job it is run tests how to do their job is pure and utter arrogance and really showing their colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Why did the CDC remove their comment that the virus is airborne?

There has been some trouble with the CDC being influenced by Trump this may or may not be his work.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

<link dump removed>

Mod: @Woody79 - if you just dump links without adding so much as your own point of view, I'll delete them.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

she was all rte could afford, probably just off the boat from India with fake papers

Mod: Thread doesn't need this. Seeing as you are already in breach of threadban, take two weeks away from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hey Boards is broke we went over 10,000 posts :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hey Boards is broke we went over 10,000 posts :)

Beasty be like

tenor.gif?itemid=16492842

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

We're using such a high PCR cycle I'm fairly certain the chances of false negatives are quite low.

Well I'm fairly certain you are full of shit.

false negatives are more common as they mostly down to mis-sampling or sampling too early into infection. Nothing to do with the test itself...more to do with the Patient circumstances such as their stage of infection, their presentation of the virus (how much of virus is in the bodies test site ie throat, nose etc) and how effective the HCP collected the sample using the swab. All the test does is detect whether RNA is present or not on the swab.

What? I know how PCR works. Read the tweets by De Gascun.

Really have you become some sort of expert in the last week? I remember schooling you on it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114615229&postcount=2009

Are you familiar with using the assay that the NVRL uses? If not then we're just as clueless as each other, to be fair.

They use Cobas SARS-CoV-2, its a child of the SARS1 LC and Taqman assy from back in 2002/2003.

I wouldnt say Martina is clueless at all, it seems she works mostly in SWA and although she says she does a little NAT she would know hell of a lot more than you.

You might be good a googling crap on the net and posting it here as if you are some sort expert or something, but when it comes to testing you don't fool me... im just shaking my head and laughing. What a Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Sorry I forgot you showed us your degree in COVID-19 testing...

A large part of my job involves RT-PCR assays in a clinical setting. I literally do it every day. While you appear to have read up on how RT-PCR works. It's admirable you want to learn, but you don't know everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

To the experts here (please excuse my limited knowledge).

How accurate are those rapid tests compared to alternatives?

Should they be deployed in the airports and as part of serial testing in certain sectors?

Is 180 euros a reasonable cost for a private test and certificate in respect to travel?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement