Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What big companies do you think will not still be here in a decade 's time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

EIR will survive, I don't know why but it's seems no matter how badly they treat their customers they still keep them.

It will survive in some form I would say but I think at this stage anyone under the 50 knows not to touch them with a barge pole unless you literally have no other options. They still have hundreds of thousands of customers stuck with them from the Telecom Eireann days but they are dying out. They need to fundamentally change their woeful customer service if they are to survive into the future. Plus they tend to be the dearest of all operators, that will have to change too as Sky/Virgin roll out to more locations.

Tesco.....though they'll likely merge with another UK based retailer

How do you see Tesco merging? I know they have had their troubles in the past with things like their move into Asian markets which didnt go well, the horsemeat scandal, etc but they got a new CEO a few years back and he turned things around financially from what Ive read. They're also very well positioned for the growth of online deliveries which Covid has accelerated, I know a few shoppers who are doing Tesco deliveries only now since the virus hit whereas before they were shopping across 2 or 3 supermarkets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All the companies who do Internet of Shíte Things

It's a security disaster waiting to happen. All that home automation kit is well dodgy.

Netgear. They won't patch old kit. This means that every ISP who rebadges their kit now owns any security issues with kit they don't replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

Apple and Facebook basically have nothing in common other than they're in the IT sector. Apple's a hardware company that makes money out of selling deluxe hardware mostly and services associated with it. They're also much, much older dating back to the 1976. I could see them shrinking from their current peak, but I don't think they'll disappear anytime soon.

Facebook's basically a data-mining advertising company that's making its money out of your information and is increasingly coming under a lot of regulatory scrutiny and political focus due to the kind of stuff it hosting. I could definitely see Facebook being at the very least broken up.

Google may also be split up due to anti-trust issues. It's just far too dominant to be ignored anymore.

I could see Twitter disappearing as it has limited revenue possibilities.

What a biased post. Tim Cook also just grilled by American lawmakers. Just yesterday :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Yurt! wrote: »
    Big autoamakers are like oil tankers, they turn very slowly. But when the big Japanese, German and Korean auto makers go all-in on electric vehicles, they'll sink Tesla pretty handy. Tesla will be just a badge and people won't care they were first movers. Too much industry expertise in the big automakers.

Why would you buy German, no engineer but aren't electric vehicles actually simpler than ICE vehicles in terms of engineering.
    My bet is German car manufacturing will be a shadow of itself in a decade and you will be buying a car made in Asia somewhere that's running US designed software.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why would you buy German, no engineer but aren't electric vehicles actually simpler than ICE vehicles in terms of engineering.
    My bet is German car manufacturing will be a shadow of itself in a decade and you will be buying a car made in Asia somewhere that's running US designed software.

Diesel was German engineering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

denartha wrote: »
    Personally i think Facebooks days, in it's current form are numbered. Few of my friends still use it. Obviously with a personal fortune of about 65 billion, Zuckerberg has enough money to keep it going past the next ice age, but I still think its reached its peak and the decline has started.

Alot of desktop computer manufacturers are going to close. Who wants a desktop when you can get a laptop with the same specs for similar money?

I also wonder about the future of tablets. My phone does everything a tablet can but on a smaller screen, but, it's more comfortable to hold, more comfortable to type on, fits in my pocket. Pair my phone to some VR glasses that look and feel like regular sunglasses and I could get a cinema screen movie experience via my phone.

A time I’d check Facebook hourly every day. Now about twice to three times every day. I’m just bored of it, the number of adds, attention seeking fûckwits and general fûcknuttery is just a major turnoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

There’s more to a car than a drivetrain. Tesla are pretty notorious for poor build quality, very basic cabin for the price, and lots of general quality control issues and trouble with scaling up their manufacturing output. The big manufacturers will blow them away in this area once they catch up on the EV tech, which is already beginning to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Supervalu

Musgrave Group who own them are huge ,they will still be around but Supervalu cannot compete with Lidl/Aldi and are clearly struggling if you just base it off what you can see with your own eyes, shops are no where near as busy as other Supermarkets

da_miser wrote: »
    Supervalu

Musgrave Group who own them are huge ,they will still be around but Supervalu cannot compete with Lidl/Aldi and are clearly struggling if you just base it off what you can see with your own eyes, shops are no where near as busy as other Supermarkets
    You would think, but somehow they're not far behind Dunnes for the highest market-share in retail-groceries.

Dunnes|22.2%
    SuperValu|21.4%
    Tesco|21.4%
    Aldi|12.5%
    Lidl| 11.9%
    Other outlets|10.6%

I'd imagine the recession will cause them some serious problems, but Tesco, although identical, is not an Irish store and would seem to be the weaker chain, in the event of a downturn

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭md23040

I hope in less than 10 years that Rupert Murdochs Insidious and torrid media empire fiully disintegrates especially Fox News.

• Advertisement

da_miser wrote: »
    Supervalu

They are a franchise so not all the same but the good ones are by far the best food shops in Ireland and massively popular. My local one is massive, has some of the best produce you can get including an amazing bakery and it is always packed. I buy a few bits in aldi but we do our main shop in SV as it’s just far ahead.

It will be gone nowhere in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

They are a franchise so not all the same but the good ones are by far the best food shops in Ireland and massively popular. My local one is massive, has some of the best produce you can get including an amazing bakery and it is always packed. I buy a few bits in aldi but we do our main shop in SV as it’s just far ahead.

It will be gone nowhere in 10 years.

Nailed it as usual, Nox. You might have the folks who think buying half gone off tomatoes in Aldi for 49 cent is a good idea, but you’ll always have the market for people who want to pay a little extra for quality produce. That’s the market that SuperValu cater for.

I know you’re a Galway man and that SuperValu sounds like McInerney's in Loughrea. Absolutely brilliant shop. I’d still give Pat Loughnane my trade if I was in the place and looking to buy a good steak though.

I predict Cadbury (subsidiary of Mondelez) will continue their current strategy of trying to keep the price low by reducing the quality of their products by increasing the quantity of vegetable oils. They know nobody prefers the way the products taste now but because they are owned by a big heartless US corporation they simply lack that ability to care about what actual human beings actually want. They will suffer lower sales as people become ever more disinclined to eat junk food, which they will try to fight by making 'healthier' products, but as the whole point of confectionery is to taste nice, this will be just as ridiculous as 'lucozade zero''. Actually, I predict obesity levels to plummet this decade as the children who grew up in the image-concerned social media laden world of the 2010s enter into adulthood, government and other efforts to tackle obesity come to fruition and the novelty of eating junk food simply passes. Even now, footage of the 2000s looks like a landscape of untoned, puffy bloated people versus now, and teenage obesity was much more prevalent then, with kids now tending to be tall and thin. I think this trend will be more gradual in the US than Europe though. So I believe a company which currently produce junk food which doesn't lend itself to making healthier versions of its current products, but which isn't found in America might be a good shout (pizza shops which aren't Dominos, donut shops..).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I don’t think anyone is arguing that working on a laptop on the kitchen table is suitable long term, in my home office I have a sit/stand desk, quality large monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse with I just need to make one connection to via usb-c to my MacBook and I have power, hdmi and multiple usbs incl my backup hdd. Laptop also acts as a second screen. I have a similar setup at work so if I’m at home or at work all I need is my MacBook but I can also work anywhere else too, meeting, trips etc or bring the laptop down in the evening for browsing and personal stuff on the couch.

I’d argue it’s a better setup than having a desktop.

It sounds like a good enough setup. But take a look at how much room your macbook is taking up on the desk. Wouldn't it be a lot tidier (spacious) if that was a tower under the desk? Also, do you really need a second screen if you have a large 4K monitor (i.e. 4 screens in 1)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that desktops will replace laptops - I'm just saying that laptops won't replace desktops (which people have been saying for the past 20 years). There will be people who will get by with just a laptop. Others will have a desktop and laptop, others again will have just a desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

dotsman wrote: »
    It sounds like a good enough setup. But take a look at how much room your macbook is taking up on the desk. Wouldn't it be a lot tidier (spacious) if that was a tower under the desk? Also, do you really need a second screen if you have a large 4K monitor (i.e. 4 screens in 1)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that desktops will replace laptops - I'm just saying that laptops won't replace desktops (which people have been saying for the past 20 years). There will be people who will get by with just a laptop. Others will have a desktop and laptop, others again will have just a desktop.

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

kowloon wrote: »
    Is the Gateway factory still empty? I haven't been past it in a while. Is the Dell factory still in Limerick?

The one in clonshaugh has Dunnes online operation in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Newspapers. How are they even sold right now?

Wombatman wrote: »
    Especially the likes of the tabloids, rags the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

what?

A 4k monitor is the same as 4 HD monitors (2 across, 2 down), but without any gap/bezel. From a work perspective, it's extremely handy/productive when working with multiple windows/tabs open. At other times, using the entire screen real estate for a single window (document/spreadsheet/IDE etc) is amazing. Once you go 4K, everything else just seems tiny and restrictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Tesla's charging network is light years ahead of anything else. If they're forced to open that up to all EVs then I can't see them staying on top, but if not they have something the rest are sorely lacking in. It might even be they switch their focus to charging, open the network up and make their money that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Tesla's charging network is light years ahead of anything else. If they're forced to open that up to all EVs then I can't see them staying on top, but if not they have something the rest are sorely lacking in. It might even be they switch their focus to charging, open the network up and make their money that way.

forced to by who? they aren't a public utility.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Penneys.

The days of fast disposable fashion are well numbered. The environmental impact is unjustifiable.

Doubt it. People still need to clothes and with mass redundancies and economic uncertainly on the horizon they are well placed. I see them growing if anything.

Where are people going to go...Ralph Lauren?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Wombatman wrote: »

I rarley see anyone under the age of 60 clutching a newspaper.

I have four desktop PCs: 2008; 2016; 2020; and another being built.
    My laptop is in a cupboard in the kitchen, and has been for a few years.

I use FOUR pc laptops

Mac mini i7 2019 although working has very u certain future.

No way to record live stereo music because my webcam hasn't got stereo and no 3.5 mm jack for recording syero on the thing.

A 4k monitor is the same as 4 HD monitors (2 across, 2 down), but without any gap/bezel. From a work perspective, it's extremely handy/productive when working with multiple windows/tabs open. At other times, using the entire screen real estate for a single window (document/spreadsheet/IDE etc) is amazing. Once you go 4K, everything else just seems tiny and restrictive.

I like to have two screens even with a 4k one as I tend to devote one to personal email, youtube/Spotify, whatsapp web, any sport i'd be keeping an eye on etc (this would be the laptop) and then the main screen would be for work though I do drag across windows for work too at times as I like to open documents in the full window even on a large screen especially for things like CAD.

They won't be forced to open up, but there's nothing stopping others from building charging networks, and as EVs become more common and the charging tech becomes more standardised the network will likely largely grow organically as they're built by independent third parties just like petrol forecourts.

Aside from that though, new EVs are approaching the kind of range that 90% of drivers will never need to charge them away from home.

Having 4 times the pixels isn't the same as having 4 times the space, unless your 4k monitor is also a massive 42" screen or something like that. You can fit four times as much information on screen, sure, but in reality you're just going to be increasing the font size or you'll really need to squint.

Most normal monitors are higher than 1080p anyway, they're somewhere in the middle - mine are both 1440p which is 2K

Having multiple screens creates natural separation between workspaces, simple things like double clicking a title bar to fill an app to the screen it is on become more complicated if you're just working with one very large screen. I don't think I could go back to working on one screen, on the odd occasion I need to it feels very restrictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

kowloon wrote: »
    Is the Gateway factory still empty? I haven't been past it in a while. Is the Dell factory still in Limerick?

It's now an Amazon Data Centre , one of quite a few in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

The title is a little ambiguous , not be here as in Ireland , or not exist ?

Anyway , having done some old fashioned shopping last weekend ( Currys and Halfords ) the experience showed me that bricks/mortar out of town shops like that are a thing of the past .

• Advertisement

Davidth88 wrote: »
    It's now an Amazon Data Centre , one of quite a few in Dublin

It's not, it's Dunnes online store warehouse, there is also Easons replenishment warehouse in a part of it.

Advertisement