Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Soap!

• 22-07-2020 11:39am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I switched to just using bar soap instead of shower gel a while ago, I find it lasts a lot longer, has less packaging, nicer scents and in general is better value for money. I'm just about to run out of my stash (usually stock up on nice ones on holidays :( ), anybody have any favourites? Irish would be nice, but not a deal breaker. I'm aware of the Handmade Soap Company and like their products.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'd probably go for Lush or Voya (a friend swears by their products!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Pears

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Great idea for a thread, I really want to make the switch too, makes so much sense when you compare the environmental cost!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I did actually have the Voya one before now that you mention it, it is fabulous.
    GingerLily wrote: »
    Great idea for a thread, I really want to make the switch too, makes so much sense when you compare the environmental cost!

Yeah I can't believe how long a bar lasts me! A lot of them come in paper packaging too so easily recyclable.

I saw a good tip recently, you can get these soap bags for exfoliating and they're ideal for using up the last of your slivers of soap, just pop them in and scrub away. Those last little bits always seem so hard to use :)

https://www.evergreen.ie/hydrophil-soap-pouch?gclid=CjwKCAjwx9_4BRAHEiwApAt0zsDLC1lbTs0ZjKzTeXjLJ-b4sTbgH9V9eY2pX9W_fuL0LhAWLjfSexoCIjAQAvD_BwE

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Not Irish of course, but I love Sanctuary stuff, and they do a great salt scrub bar for about €8. It's a great alternative to body scrubs if you want to be all exfoliated and soft!
    How 'scrubby' depends on how much welly you give it, so it's not like washing with a brillo pad or anything :pac: and like most soaps, it lasts FOREVER.

cJHBOaU.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

Airmid Natural Irish Skincare & Natural Soap Shop In Kilfenora do fab soaps.
    Also The Moher Soap Company is another good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Also transitioning from shower gels to bar soap! I got a lovely Sandalwood soap as part of a gift ages ago and used it recently. I loved the scent of it and felt that it made a great difference to my skin but I don't know where it was from and of course I threw out the wrapper!! Any recommendations for a good one?

Posy wrote: »
    Not Irish of course, but I love Sanctuary stuff, and they do a great salt scrub bar for about €8. It's a great alternative to body scrubs if you want to be all exfoliated and soft!
    How 'scrubby' depends on how much welly you give it, so it's not like washing with a brillo pad or anything :pac: and like most soaps, it lasts FOREVER.

cJHBOaU.jpg?1

Will definitely look at this, I love the smell of Sanctuary. I had a Kiehl's exfoliation soap that I opened last week as I just finished off a tub of exfoliator and unfortunately it broke me out in hives, I NEVER have skin reactions to stuff so it was surprising! And I was saving up my fancy Kiehl's :pac:

Carodh wrote: »
    Airmid Natural Irish Skincare & Natural Soap Shop In Kilfenora do fab soaps.
    Also The Moher Soap Company is another good one.

That Airmid stuff looks lovely, thanks for the rec!

Also transitioning from shower gels to bar soap! I got a lovely Sandalwood soap as part of a gift ages ago and used it recently. I loved the scent of it and felt that it made a great difference to my skin but I don't know where it was from and of course I threw out the wrapper!! Any recommendations for a good one?

I had a gorgeous sandalwood soap that someone got me in India! It smelled amazing. Maybe try Indian supermarkets, they often have beauty sections. Must check out my local shop. That might seem like a random suggestion but I know the one I had was cheap and cheerful, not a gift or souvenir type thing, could the local version of Palmolive!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

You'll have enough soap to last a lifetime with all these recommendations, Twee. :D

Ooh me too. I love old fashioned soap bars these days, only issue is the residue all over the shower.
    I like Imperial Lather for retro / nostalgia feel, Roger & Gallet Bois d'Orange (or anything really) for amazing scent and being really soft and Pears glycerine soap which is gentle and lasts forever...

Must try Voya, rest of their products are pretty good.

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    You'll have enough soap to last a lifetime with all these recommendations, Twee. :D

I need the exfoliation one AND a regular one :pac: They're different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I love Willow Cottage for soap, and their Hand sanitiser smells like cinnamon and oranges :)

http://https://www.willowcottage.ie/willowcottageonlineshop/cat_848857-Soap.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I swear by real Marseille soap.
    Made with only vegetable oil (including olive oil), soda and salt.
    Only four Companies make it. You can get it online.
    https://www.savon-de-marseille-traditionnel.fr/Unis-autour-de-la-Savonnerie-Marseillaise_a20.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I love the Castile soaps from Burren Perfumery but they are bottled. I just checked their website and they do bar soap versions too! The scents are incredible, and 100% Irish made. My favorite is the Atlantic Coast one.

https://burrenperfumery.com/collections/handmade-bar-soaps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

What about Green Angel - I've not tried their soap but I love the other products from their range. They're Irish and organic.

This looks delightful.

https://www.greenangel.com/product/green-angel-irish-seaweed-soap-with-lavender-essential-oil/

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

There is an Irish company in Donegal that makes beautiful handmade cold-pressed soaps. I think they are vegan too. It's called Kilo Soap Co.

https://www.facebook.com/kilosoapco

https://www.etsy.com/shop/kilosoapco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I use Janni bars they are an Irish company

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

Kilo Soap Co that I mentioned before has just released a whole load of new soaps.

You would not think you would want to eat soap, but looking through them I'm getting hungry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/kilosoapco

l3RXSneCk3ymy1YDSZeZEUwvK0hG2CsKfIrvRAfOVGWhscp8L46mgeg3VKdCHLGy9npDcHN8brXYI74_z_WJjQuEndjm0yO8cEuUhc0-jp_zWGVYtGTBtYhOQBqsPEvSq-6LVcb-u5KnDKkbUrIvpEz8JXF2re-keMyJUa-H5Rp0WcZVq1QGhUXtzuGdkxhDiyfPhf07KJBcbywjehUYJyL4rcztk3_cMjnkattM6bhgvsF4q0-uTqM01HBOPqPJhGj8uqyVg2htYdp9OJDxU6_cw26BQ7_pa0OsVck5N4iwzjlquWf114p1V9KPo27Q4RwwAyQt6cMySAQBY00Oi0ohpkbCVX3DGwqMahaEW90FbgdWSFCo45qzEQ3y1rTnPfLFbz69epk_dGn50t3TwrjG3xVyCZhu_-64G2SFRJnzWzTbkQX7L-k_G9H66f6mP7Sy4AVQ6uC-cW07F2X7o9NPP0crUWO8AAt8irMuEnVOr740BI3hrgB7-GviWyIBOzz9qSLx5JXAgzrdi3jmZRrjS3J9aHYSVOQqQ8ZJuYsEcmy5kMtwGLChTW6VXYf3xi12rON1p8m_FKpXHf7bdRb0VrHw4WGN-sDdgJwqdg0OJ1TnJ1UQWv-b6Gfm7XlkPUEpwUn66421Z_Rob7nSWZG8_QQutqPdQ3K1ZrPQ3lW2obJcxZQ3GK0D6-81kA=w1318-h605-no?authuser=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1 zhang.lin11

Bar soap is much more practical than shower gel!

I really love everything from Lush and Soapland, their bars are the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

TkMaxx is my go to shop for bar soaps. Lots of brands and often there are soaps in the clearance section. My fav brands are Castlebel (Portuguese), Nesti Dante ( Italian) or anything that's triple milled. I have a huge stash as they take so long to use up & the smells are so tempting that I can't seem to leave TK Maxx without a bar

• Advertisement

I got a fab bar in TK Maxx a while ago but it's HUGE! It still looks new and I use it every day :eek: It's a lovely soap so I don't really mind but I'll be watching out for more regular sized ones when this one is gone eventually so I can mix up my scents.

Advertisement