Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Don't know if I should go back to college or the trades

• 14-07-2019 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Long story short - 2 years of studying business in college, I hated it.
    Dropped out and started into an industrial electrician apprenticeship.

I left after 4 months.. it was just a lot of pulling cable and screwing down cable tray.
    I wouldn't mind that as an apprentice but the qualified lads said it doesn't get much better than that.
    They just work in rooms with live units, but they're still pulling cable.. and they might gland it.

I helped a neighbour get their car unstuck yesterday, it was lifted off the ground on a metal pipe left by the fire brigade (still attached to the mains).
    With a lot of lifting, hitting and breaking too many hacksaws we got it unstuck.. it had tore the arse out of the underside of the car but it wasn't stuck anymore.
    That felt great, like I had done something right and the result was right there.

Part of me wants to get a degree, but I'd just end up going back to business, changing colleges to avoid the maths and stats crap.
    So I'd start at 2nd year again, have work placement in 3rd year and finished in 3 years.

Part of me wants to go back working with my hands.. but I want to do something challenging, or something that'd at least get challenging when qualified (I expect to do the **** as an apprentice).

I'm also thinking of going to Canada and working for 2 years, probably general labouring or maybe logging, forest firefighting, pipeline, oil rig that sort of craic.

Is it worth going back getting my degree?
    If not what trade should I be getting into?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭corner of hells

MrMiata wrote: »
    Long story short - 2 years of studying business in college, I hated it.
    Dropped out and started into an industrial electrician apprenticeship.

I left after 4 months.. it was just a lot of pulling cable and screwing down cable tray.
    I wouldn't mind that as an apprentice but the qualified lads said it doesn't get much better than that.
    They just work in rooms with live units, but they're still pulling cable.. and they might gland it.

I helped a neighbour get their car unstuck yesterday, it was lifted off the ground on a metal pipe left by the fire brigade (still attached to the mains).
    With a lot of lifting, hitting and breaking too many hacksaws we got it unstuck.. it had tore the arse out of the underside of the car but it wasn't stuck anymore.
    That felt great, like I had done something right and the result was right there.

Part of me wants to get a degree, but I'd just end up going back to business, changing colleges to avoid the maths and stats crap.
    So I'd start at 2nd year again, have work placement in 3rd year and finished in 3 years.

Part of me wants to go back working with my hands.. but I want to do something challenging, or something that'd at least get challenging when qualified (I expect to do the **** as an apprentice).

I'm also thinking of going to Canada and working for 2 years, probably general labouring or maybe logging, forest firefighting, pipeline, oil rig that sort of craic.

Is it worth going back getting my degree?
    If not what trade should I be getting into?

I served an apprenticeship, did a few extra exams on top and then later in life returned to third level education.
    The lads who told you "that it doesn't get much better, misinformed you".
    Once you complete your trade, you can move between jobs , seek better conditions, maybe even work for yourself.
    Try look at the bigger picture, your apprenticeship is only four years after that your experience begins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

I served an apprenticeship, did a few extra exams on top and then later in life returned to third level education.
    The lads who told you "that it doesn't get much better, misinformed you".
    Once you complete your trade, you can move between jobs , seek better conditions, maybe even work for yourself.
    Try look at the bigger picture, your apprenticeship is only four years after that your experience begins.

I took that we was talking about the work they do day to day..
    We were doing a lot of what the qualified fellas were doing but they were allowed to work in rooms with live ring main units and the likes.
    They were glanding cables while we weren't allowed to do that.

My thinking when I left was it's 4 years or 3 in college, I had notions of engineering until I saw all the maths involved.

I don't think I'd go back at electrical but I haven't a clue what else I'd go at..

I'm not expecting much out of after hours but I though it was worth asking all the same.

Long story short - 2 years of business, hated the accounting, economics, maths and stats.. so half the course.
    Left it to start an electrician apprenticeship - wasn't a huge fan of that..

Now I'm 22, with notions of going back to college to finish my business degree (redo 2nd year) in a different college where I can avoid most of the crap I hated..
    The only reason I'm looking at business is because I haven't a clue what else I'd want to do, and I'd finish sooner, work placement in 3rd year too.

Part of me still thinks the trades are for me, a lot of my relatives do.
    I was at a wedding the last day and go f***ed out of it when i said I left the apprenticeship.

I found the electrical work boring.. it was just pulling big cables and screwing down ladder rack.
    I was fine doing that as an apprentice but I was doing it right alongside the qualified lads.
    I probably chose sparky because it seems a bit closer to college, cleaner, arguably harder schoolwise etc.

As an apprentice I was running the equipment stores and tracking down tools, I spent weeks in an office instead of the site.

I'm worried a business degree will land me back here, that I'll be looking at the trades because my degrees not worth a sh*te.

I've always had a notion that I'd like welding..
    I was more interested in their work on site than the electricians.
    I was good/enjoyed Art at school, am good with my hands and fine detail.. all that.

My uncle is a carpenter.. I liked that too, but he's a good distance away and I can imagine it getting boring.. it's just putting together flat packed furniture.

I've a head for business.. I want to be self employed some day, running jobs and signing cheques.. part the reason I went with business but learning off the history of management wasn't particularly difficult..

I don't know, I've work in the morning I should be in bed.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,181 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod NoteMoved from After hours to here. Wasn't sure where to put it.
    Move if ye see fit.
    Follow local rules/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

First thing to check is whether you would be allowed to start your college course again from second year, and whether you would need to pay full fees or would be treated as a first time student. Depending on the answer to that question you might need to wait until officially a mature student to access reduced fees again.
    Also, if you hated business the first time it seems like a mistake to go back to it. Why not start something else that you would enjoy more. Go to a few college open days and see what’s out there. Maybe try an IT as they have lots of practical courses with obvious leads to a career.

• Advertisement

First thing to check is whether you would be allowed to start your college course again from second year, and whether you would need to pay full fees or would be treated as a first time student. Depending on the answer to that question you might need to wait until officially a mature student to access reduced fees again.
    Also, if you hated business the first time it seems like a mistake to go back to it. Why not start something else that you would enjoy more. Go to a few college open days and see what’s out there. Maybe try an IT as they have lots of practical courses with obvious leads to a career.

Sorry I should have said:
    I’ll be changing colleges from an NUI to an IT hence why I won’t have to study all the same modules.
    I’ll be starting again as a first year and I’ll be liable for the full fees ~€3,800.

As a mature student I’d need to be out of formal education for 4+ years and then it’s at their discretion.

I honestly haven’t a clue what I’d enjoy more.. I put down mechanical engineering but now I’m thinking I’d hate the maths.

I saw a career guidance counselor and she recommended social care worker but I can’t see that being for me..
    Thought of nursing too.. not to mention everything under the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You're still young.

I can see your mind is all over the place.

You don't want to do business so don't do it.

Start over.

You have time.

I do think you should get a degree. The way the world is changing, you'll probably be at a huge disadvantage down the road without one. Sure even now you're in a bit of trouble without one.

What did you want to do when you were a kid or teenager?

Any degree will stand to you as it will help you in later life if you want to pursue a Masters degree once you’ve found your niche - ie a lot of masters courses require an undergraduate degree.
    But let’s leave that aside for the moment.
    I’m hearing you around skills, creativity, artistry etc- that’s what I really got from your post. And also you don’t like maths. Fair enough.

So how about researching crafts? Skills that are dying out due to no one moving into those areas, an older or retired workforce but skills still in demand into the future such as:

A thatcher - outdoor work but rewarding

Watch and clock repair (old style)- intricate indoor work but could work in a craft center with other craft professionals

Handmade shoes- always a demand for this

That’s just a few suggestions- look at the UK City and Guilds qualifications- you’ll get loads more ideas there- it will be a combo of study and apprenticeship but you’ll then have a lifelong skill and career

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

+1 for repairing mechanical watches.

A lovely job.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    You're still young.

I can see your mind is all over the place.

You don't want to do business so don't do it.

Start over.

You have time.

I do think you should get a degree. The way the world is changing, you'll probably be at a huge disadvantage down the road without one. Sure even now you're in a bit of trouble without one.

What did you want to do when you were a kid or teenager?

I wanted to be a doctor.
    I never studied, wasn’t particularly good at chemistry or maths.. so it was just a pipe dream.

I’m sick to death of taking time out to decide what I’ll go back at.
    It changes by the bloody minute and I’m none the wiser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

MrMiata wrote: »

?

Have you considered becoming a fire fighter? Its a multifaceted job involving paramedic fire fighting no day is exactly the same. its active you could study on your days off for a degree if you wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Don't over think it. Nowadays it is unlikely that whatever you choose will mean you are stuck in that career for life, you can retrain and move very quickly.

I started in construction, went the college route and into an office for 8 years, didn't click. So decided to do what i liked doing. Left and went back to college at 30, set up my own business for 3 years, moved to product management, then into project management and now again at just past 40 ive move again into another new role.

As long as i'm having fun and find it interesting that's all i care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

MrMiata wrote:
    I’m sick to death of taking time out to decide what I’ll go back at. It changes by the bloody minute and I’m none the wiser

I know this feeling well. I was the exact same at your age (Im not too much older than you but I remember my early 20s being a nighmare for me when it came choosing a path and feeling under pressure from relatives). One day you might be lucky and wake up and it all click together for you, or you might need to actually try first hand many different work experiences. You wont know unless you try. Best of luck to you.

Advertisement