Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Longing for just enough snow to build a snowman.. getting too old to put it off much longer! west mayo offshore paradise

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Im getting confused by all the runs, one minute they show us buried and the next they show us dry and under sleet!

Some have been enjoying the rollercoaster, I most certainly have not. Been a nightmare for forecasting in the past month. Really want to get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Some have been enjoying the rollercoaster, I most certainly have not. Been a nightmare for forecasting in the past month. Really want to get off.

Eh, you could just take a break from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Is this a hobby for you? Don't let it rule you. Walk away

(((HUGS)))

Take a break; it has been a long winter... go somewhere... sunny ! Blessings and peace and thankyou for all you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I know!! Emotionally drained :-) and I'm only a spectator! For you and the serious weather heads it must be exhausting!

But as Graces said thank ye all! Wouldn't be anything to watch without ye..

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Yes it has been a pain , but things don’t happen easy around this little island, to get what we want we normally have to wait in vague

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Yes it has been a pain , but things don’t happen easy around this little island, to get what we want we normally have to wait in vague

It's not what I want (I could care less about that), it's at least reasonable confidence in forecasting.

Anyway, getting off topic....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

On topic....

Light graupel shower now in Dublin 16.

Edit: Just light rain now...started as graupel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The snow is coming, everybody remain calm :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The snow is coming, everybody remain calm :D

Yes for the Galtees and Wicklow mountains!

Oh and Mountaintyman in Sligo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭highdef

North Kildare and the 3rd shower of the day has passed over. Latest one was the heaviest....nothing spectacular but it was a mix of sleet and graupel.

In other news, there's more precip moving into western areas than I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

highdef wrote: »
    North Kildare and the 3rd shower of the day has passed over. Latest one was the heaviest....nothing spectacular but it was a mix of sleet and graupel.

In other news, there's more precip moving into western areas than I was expecting.

I’ve noticed that , quite a bit alright

on which positive note I am closing down to try to catch up on last night's missed sleep. I expect to be enabled to build a large SNOWPERSON when it gets light tomorrow

OK?

OK!!!!

Sleep well snow-watchers..! You deserve it..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

As I posted earlier that will weaken as it crosses the country but by first light tomorrow could be some sleet and snow in that for the midlands and east but should be light enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭highdef

As I posted earlier that will weaken as it crosses the country but by first light tomorrow could be some sleet and snow in that for the midlands and east but should be light enough...

Yeah, not expecting any accumulations from it. I'll be up early in the morning so will see anything that is falling from the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Im in the centre of that weather front moving in from the west and there has been barely a dip of rain out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pnpweirdo wrote: »
    Im in the centre of that weather front moving in from the west and there has been barely a dip of rain out of it.

Dirty day in West Clare.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: As suggested updated Thread title to include Thurs 31st .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Well ICON certainly displaying a big wintry / snow event for Thurs on the current run. I'm not saying it is going to happen , just showing what it is modelling atm.

A very deep LP , 974 hPa crossing the country slowly whilst pivoting and carrying plenty of moisture. 850 hPa Temps about -4 or -5C . Low Temps from 1 to 4C generally, falling back to freezing early in the night. If this happen would expect heavy wet snow, sleet in some areas and rain also.

Again just to show what the model is displaying.

ECM 12Z rolling out now.

oGbvmm0.gif

anim_xxp2.gif

anim_jhu2.gif

iconeu_uk1-46-102-0_tnq0.png

anim_ykx1.gif

anim_zjq7.gif

anim_rtw1.gif

iconeu_uk1-41-93-0_oty4.png

iconeu_uk1-41-105-0_azj2.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What is it about the east coast of Meath (right on water) where we always seem to miss the worst of wind and snow? There can be all sorts of stuff going on around us but it’s like there’s some magic coat around our area!

I suppose I shouldn’t complain but just curious!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like Thursday will be rain or sleet for most of Meath and Dublin. I'd say it will be very similar to the event on 11th December 2017. Best chances of lying snow would be about 40-50km inland from the Irish Sea. Thursday is still a while away so hopefully more upgrades before then.

Drumpot wrote: »
    What is it about the east coast of Meath (right on water) where we always seem to miss the worst of wind and snow? There can be all sorts of stuff going on around us but it’s like there’s some magic coat around our area!

I suppose I shouldn’t complain but just curious!

Onshore winds bringing in relatively milder air from the sea (sea is warmer than land in Winter) making it too mild for snow to fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

We’re all gonner die

The ICON suggesting such scenes is certainly increasing my confidence on a significant portion of the country seeing snow on Thursday. If only those charts were +24 hours!

An easterly wind too, keeping the wind offshore blessed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'm sorry to be one of "those" but could someone simplify it for me regarding potential snow in Clare in the next few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

“Extremely” cold according to met eireann with disruptive snow

I'm sorry to be one of "those" but could someone simplify it for me regarding potential snow in Clare in the next few days?

Not really, we're still trying to figure it out ourselves!

A part which is very important is where in Clare you are, as the weather can be simultaneously completely different in Kilrush or Ennistymon as it is in Killaloe or Lisseycasey (a notorious spot for having different weather to nearby areas).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Andrew00 wrote: »

"Extremely cold" would mean bitter easterlies with sub zero daytime max temps
    The upcoming cold spell is mainly from the Northwest with an Atlantic influence.
    Wednesday night there looks to be a severe frost with lows of -4 to -6 C

• Advertisement

Andrew00 wrote: »

Mod Note: Where is Met Eireann saying Extremely cold with disruptive snow.

Advertisement