Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

small claims court- owed money

• 28-06-2011 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭

Can anybody give me some information about the small claims court.....my housemates owe me over €100 in bill money that was outstanding and I had to pay for them. I'm sick of hassling them about it, I just want my money back and don't want to let them away with it........somebody suggested the small claims court to me but I really am clueless when it comes to legal things. Is this something that could be handled by the small claims court? How do I go about applying, fees etc? We were in a house-share together, I was just a tenant not the landlord btw.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I think the small claims only deals with public complaints about business ie not civil matters that you would appear to have

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Is there any authority within the legal system that covers small claims like this then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

Is there any way of getting money owed back if the owing party has to go to court over an offence?
    The judge will impose a fine and I am afraid I will never see my repayments then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

What are the bills for? Might be easier just to say that someone needs to take over paying them or you're cancelling. Then, when someone else is looking for money, you can deduct the money that you're owed from your contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Is there any authority within the legal system that covers small claims like this then?

Link
    Civil business
    The civil jurisdiction of the District Court in contract and most other matters is where the claim or award does not exceed €15,000.

No offence to you OP, but I think that you could well be wasting your own time and money in suing somebody for €100. I think that the court fees on the proceedings may be €25, before this would go anywhere.

Perhaps you might be better off looking for a way to cut your losses now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I thought the Small Claims Court didn't deal with debts? Wouldn't this be classed as a debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I thought the Small Claims Court didn't deal with debts? Wouldn't this be classed as a debt?

Correct.

Advertisement