Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Was colonising Ireland worth it?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

As for an Irish ‘style’ if wealth had remained in the country, the ‘native’ Irish had wealth for the last 50 years and considerable wealth during the Celtic Tiger. Just look at the total crap that was erected – Hawkins House, ESB offices in Fitzwilliam Sq, Lr. Mount St in Dublin, City Quay, and drive any road in rural Ireland and you will see a choice of enough McMansions, bungalow bliss, ghost estates, faux Georgian porticos to make you want to puke. It is very hard to list more than a few decent buildings that can be attributed to Irish architects in recent decades (not entirely their fault, they need patrons/commissions.)

This point does not hold. Ugly architecture in the 21st cen is a global phenomenon. You can't compare architecture of the last 40 years to earlier time periods. Its very hard to hard to estimate how architecture would have developed as the foreign presence began here 900 years ago. Ireland is too close to Britain to ignore its artistic influence but hypothetically it could have been quite different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

robp wrote: »
    This point does not hold. Ugly architecture in the 21st cen is a global phenomenon. You can't compare architecture of the last 40 years to earlier time periods. Its very hard to hard to estimate how architecture would have developed as the foreign presence began here 900 years ago. Ireland is too close to Britain to ignore artistic influence but it hypothetically could have been quiet different.

If you believe that my point does not hold you’ve done nothing to refute it.

‘Ugly’, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Prince Charles used strong words (".....monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much-loved and elegant friend”) on the proposed extension for the National Gallery, (proposals by Rogers and by Ahrends, Burton and Koralek.) Architects will dismiss what he would want - e.g. something like the Sainsbury wing - as ‘pastiche’ and prefer something totally contrasting. Either can be beautiful – think of the works of Gehry, for example. It is hard to put Cleary’s Alto Vetro building in that category, even though it won several awards here.

There are accepted norms of ‘ugly’ and I still maintain that much of Ireland’s recent architecture is considerably worse than elsewhere else in the world. Taking the UK as an example, if you accept the works for e.g. Quinlan Terry as ‘modern’ and even include them with those of Rogers and other ‘modernists’, you have buildings that are interesting and beautiful in their own way. Look at their recent building awards. Now look at the Irish prizewinners from last year. I contend that aesthetically very few of the Irish buildings actually jump off the page as beautiful or exciting.

In this country over the last few decades we have produced (and given planning permission to) thousands of badly built/designed boxes that purport to be living spaces (think Zoe Developments’ apartments on the Quays); we have ugly ‘villages’ of empty holiday homes huddled together on flood plains or on the fringes of villages with no services; we have badly designed, pretentious dross in every rural area. If you do not accept my point, log onto myhome or daft, search Cavan or Leitrim (or any rural county) using 450k as a minimum price and you will see the s#ite that was built by Irish people with no aesthetic sense. You will not find that type of development or housing stock in such quantity elsewhere in Europe. It is just as easy to build a nice house as an ugly pretentious pile, the money is the same. Most of the 'quality' built heritage we have is inherited, not home produced - and please don't quote Scott & Busarus, or Tallon's few buildings, or Stephenson. How many firms like Heneghan Peng are out there? And it should be obvious why do the good ones have to do their work abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Regarding Cavan & Leitrim, I hope you meant to type 45 thousand euro, not 450 thousand!
    You could buy half a village down here for that type of coin...............!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I think we underestimate how much soft power we have as a result of independence though.

I've found that when you say you're Irish in a lot of former British colonies (the ones that didn't like being colonies) or in countries that don't like the English that much (France being the main one) … you're suddenly much more popular :)

I actually think Ireland could make more of the old colonial connection because we're kinda Britain's bad-ass neighbour that can provide a link to Western Europe and the EU without the historical imperial master baggage the UK has.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

If you believe that my point does not hold you’ve done nothing to refute it.
    Well the point is completely flawed, it doesnt make sense to use the current state of Irish architecture to make a guess at what some alternate history would be like, as the current state of Irish architecture is not independent of our actual history.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 348 ✭✭Khomeini

For the resources of people it benefited the coloniser greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Khomeini wrote: »
    For the resources of people it benefited the coloniser greatly.

Which begs the question 'what the English ever do for us"

:D and before I get slated I refer humously to Monty Pythons 'Life of Brian'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

gozunda wrote: »
    Which begs the question 'what the English ever do for us"

:D and before I get slated I refer humously to Monty Pythons 'Life of Brian'

I refer the honourable gentleman to the post I made some moments (!) ago.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Well the point is completely flawed, it doesnt make sense to use the current state of Irish architecture to make a guess at what some alternate history would be like, as the current state of Irish architecture is not independent of our actual history.

You misunderstand me. I am not using the current state of Irish architecture to make a guess at what some alternate history would be like. We were discussing classical buildings and architecture through a colonial era and I outlined my views on the comparative development of architecture and ‘Big Houses’ in this former colony and England. The point I was answering was one made by Reekwind
    Reekwind wrote: »
    And who's to say that Ireland couldn't have developed her own style or imported it ...? Arguably Ireland would be better provisioned with classical buildings ...... if more wealth had remained in the country...
    and also touched on by Manach.
    Manach wrote: »
    On the infrastructure argument - it could be countered that a non-Colonised Ireland would have developed the existing trading links to Europe and would have acted as a spur to a more sea-based economy, similar to the Hansetic League. For example Galway had strong ties to Spain and without the restrictive non-compete laws passed by London, could have grew to continental levels of trade.
    There is no argument that Ireland could have developed its economy to a far greater extent had trade not been curtailed by writs from English Kings/Parliaments, but even the Navigation Acts in the latter half of the 1600’s did not subsequently curtail the exchange of ideas – political, religious and cultural.
    For centuries smuggling and people trade went on with several places on the Continent - in addition to Manach’s mention of Galway one could add Youghal / Nantes and Dingle / Santiago /Oporto as other examples of places where there was a strong connection with Mainland Europe.
    Those routes were open to travel officially or unofficially, the officer class Catholic Irish served in foreign armies in Spain, France, Austria, Poland and several other smaller states and did return home; similarly the Irish Colleges (St. Omer, Paris, Rome, Louvain, Salamanca, etc.) had their intake of Irish students who also returned.
    The ability to travel, albeit less restrictive, was the same in England, where it was confined to the upper classes; they were the only ones who travelled and largely to the same places as the Irish. That position pertained up to about 50 years ago.

Simply put, regardless of being colonised, we had in Ireland Irish people who were exposed to foreign travel and design education / opportunities. An 'own-brand' Irish architectural design failed for two reasons. Firstly, too few opened their eyes, learned design and took opportunities (exceptions being Irish silverwork and lace (Galway, Kenmare and Youghal – all seaports).
    Secondly, as I said earlier, we did not have the money and peaceful environment in which to execute larger scale projects. Those are the reasons why we do not have any ‘Irish’ architecture, bar a few round towers and some arguably 'Irish' Hiberno-Roman churches.

Then, in the decades after Independence we got the money, freedom from civil strife but we did not spend it on design, we spent it on bling and dross. Even the stone-faced cottages much loved by an Taisce and Planners have no place in Irish vernacular architecture. (If stone was used it was lime mortared and whitewashed.)

Architecturally Ireland is almost dead and the best of the young ones have left to work overseas. Generally the average Irish person would not know good design unless it was based on price (dear=good). Look at the crappy replacement windows used in every main street and suburb in Ireland. Look at the shopfronts. Look at the disorder in signage. Look at the visual impact effect the Dublin Corpo would have created with road traffic signs (until mercifully stopped by ministerial order.) That shows you the cultural aesthetic of the average Irish person. And explains why we still do not have anything remotely like style.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Was it worth it?

It probably seemed like a good idea at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Was it worth it?

It probably seemed like a good idea at the time.

That's about it. It was done originally at a time when invading your neighbours to extend your kingdom was the done thing.

After that, every "invasion" as it were was not done on a whim, there was a reason (not claiming it to be good or bad). The most decisive I guess was Cromwell, who didn't just get out of bed the wrong side and take it out on Ireland, he was, as he saw it, protecting the new republic of England from royalist forces and took it upon himself to ensure that threat never arose again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

That's about it. It was done originally at a time when invading your neighbours to extend your kingdom was the done thing.

After that, every "invasion" as it were was not done on a whim, there was a reason (not claiming it to be good or bad). The most decisive I guess was Cromwell, who didn't just get out of bed the wrong side and take it out on Ireland, he was, as he saw it, protecting the new republic of England from royalist forces and took it upon himself to ensure that threat never arose again.

How ironic that the most ruthless suppression occurred because we were anti-republican!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Jawgap wrote: »
    I refer the honourable gentleman to the post I made some moments (!) ago.....

Well done on the multi media input...my connection must be a bit behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Don't forget the roads......

We weren't doing too bad on that even back in the Iron age ;). As for bridges there's the prime example of the Clonmacnoise wooden bridge from the 12th century.

Of course the argument that we wouldn't have any "classical architecture" is abit tedious. Kievan Rus wasn't invaded by the Normans let somehow there are plenty of classical architecture in modern St. Peterberg. Such styles are international, and spread due to style/fashion. One could see in the 12th century how church architecture in Ireland was already been influenced by France and Germany (Romanesque -- foundation of Cistercian monasteries such as Mellifont).

Even during the high medieval period alot of the major friaries were commissioned by Gaelic lords and were built in relevant European styles (Gothic etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

dubhthach wrote: »
    We weren't doing too bad on that even back in the Iron age ;). As for bridges there's the prime example of the Clonmacnoise wooden bridge from the 12th century.

ehhhh.......it was joke :confused:

ehhhh.......it was joke :confused:

I know thence the ;)

The second paragraph was more directed at the thread in general.

What people seem to have failed to mention on the thread is what drove Henry II. For him conquest/colonisation was worth the effort in the 1170's for the simple reason that he needed land/titles for his sons. Up until this point John his youngest son was going to inherit nothing. The spilt in the 1160's looked like the following:

England & Normandy, Anjou and Maine-- Henry the Young King
    Aquitaine -- Richard (the Lionheart)
    Brittany -- Geoffrey

John was left with nothing, this is why of course after the potential threat of Strongbow been declared a "King" (of Leinster), Henry rolled into Ireland and proceeded to have John declared "Lord of Ireland". Supposedly he had a crown made and had petitioned the Pope to make John "King of Ireland". Of course the deaths of "Henry the young King" and Geoffrey ended up upsetting the arithmetic and John was recalled from Ireland.

The rest of course is history, would have been an interesting alternative though that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

We did have classical architecture in Ireland but the apogee of classical architecture was the Georgian period where Anglo Irish classical architecture mirrored England as you would expect. A Gaelic aristocracy would have done the same.

As for since independence we were

1) too poor
    2) came out of poverty as the brutalists got into swing everywhere.

It's not just us. Looked at bombed English cities and new towns. Compare to Bath.

And so fashionable was anti-Georgian sentiment that even Bath was under threat in the 70's

http://www.persephonebooks.co.uk/the-sack-of-bath.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I really didn't expect the level of Architecture discussion. I'm ok with it though.

Advertisement