Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PC for home recording/music production

Options
  • 12-09-2019 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for a windows based machine to run the aformentioned and also video editing. I won't be gaming. I neded something that runs quiet enough as my mics can pick up a pin dropping. My budget is 600

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£109.00 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler (£19.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£64.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£72.26 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£97.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Silent Low Profile Video Card (£72.98 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: GameMax Whisper MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£38.42 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 400 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£57.12 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £532.72
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-12 18:46 BST+0100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£72.26 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£97.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Silent Low Profile Video Card (£72.98 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 400 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£57.12 @ CCL Computers)

Thanks ....I also need windows 10 ...where would be the best place to purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Have you decided on an audio interface? Whatever you choose, try and pick a motherboard/chipset combo that has a decent DPC latency. If you end up with a troublesome one, you'll be fighting a loosing battle to get low latency audio in and out.

Thanks ....I also need windows 10 ...where would be the best place to purchase?

Get a 16Gb USB stick and download the installer from Microsoft
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Install and activate "later" ;)

rurs wrote: »
    Have you decided on an audio interface? Whatever you choose, try and pick a motherboard/chipset combo that has a decent DPC latency. If you end up with a troublesome one, you'll be fighting a loosing battle to get low latency audio in and out.

Yes i have a focusrite 212 USB audio interface that I'm happy with :)

• Advertisement

PCPartPicker Part List

Thanks I just purchased the goods there now.
    Are you available for help during the build? :D:D:D

Afraid I don't offer that service, sorry.

But there's plenty of guides on the net :)

Afraid I don't offer that service, sorry.

But there's plenty of guides on the net :)

I meant questions on this board as I build 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

rurs wrote: »
    Make sure not to disable virtual memory in Windows 10 even if you have enough memory.
    It seems to be a bug in Windows 10 that it doubles latency when its disabled. I've confirmed it with a few systems. Figured it would be important to point out as latency would be key with audio systems.

deceit wrote: »
    Make sure not to disable virtual memory in Windows 10 even if you have enough memory.
    It seems to be a bug in Windows 10 that it doubles latency when its disabled. I've confirmed it with a few systems. Figured it would be important to point out as latency would be key with audio systems.

Absolutely ...Thanks :)

• Advertisement

Case and PSU arrived today. Fitted supply with fan facing down. Still waiting on CPU and cooler, mobo , graphics card and memory

fZU0DSQ.jpg

[IMG][/img]LOZNtRI.jpg

Quick question,,,Should I put the OS on the nvme ssd?

Quick question,,,Should I put the OS on the nvme ssd?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

If you're doing audio/real-time stuff maybe run this application as a sanity check to make sure no drivers are giving issues.

https://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Windows 8 Compatibility: The DPC latency utility runs on Windows 8 but does not show correct values. The output suggests that the Windows 8 kernel performs badly and introduces a constant latency of one millisecond, which is not the case in practice. DPCs in the Windows 8 kernel behave identical to Windows 7. The utility produces incorrect results because the implementation of kernel timers has changed in Windows 8, which causes a side effect with the measuring algorithm used by the utility. Thesycon is working on a new version of the DPC latency utility and will make it available on this site as soon as it is finished.
    That above tool doesn't work with Windows 8 or later. This the tool you want to use for checking latency on Windows 10.
    https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

By the way what kind of Recording/Music Production software are you using?

It's been about 2 years since I did any music production since (really want to get back to it), but I used to use Cubase 5 along with Asio4All to get audio streams going from inputs and outputs at once.

z0oT wrote: »
    That above tool doesn't work with Windows 8 or later. This the tool you want to use for checking latency on Windows 10.
    https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

By the way what kind of Recording/Music Production software are you using?

It's been about 2 years since I did any music production since (really want to get back to it), but I used to use Cubase 5 along with Asio4All to get audio streams going from inputs and outputs at once.

Hi, I use Reaper and love it. Very cheap but very professional software. The ammount of customisation in it is excellent. I highly recommend it. It doesn't hog all the machine's resources abd ran sweet on my old pentium machine with zero issues. I use a focusrite 212 audio interface also.

Can someone suggest a decent 2.5" internal SSD for this build ...Thanks :_)

Can someone suggest a decent 2.5" internal SSD for this build ...Thanks :_)

Crucial MX500
    Patriot P200
    AData Su800
    Samsung 860 Evo

Mobo, CPU, CPU Cooler and Ram arrived today.
    The CPU fan was a bit finnicky. Please take a look at the orientation of the fan.It can either be installed as i have it or it can be rotated 180 so that the fan faces the top of the case. Which way is best or does it matter. Hopefully it's OK as is?

1z0zPjV.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Mobo, CPU, CPU Cooler and Ram arrived today.
    The CPU fan was a bit finnicky. Please take a look at the orientation of the fan.It can either be installed as i have it or it can be rotated 180 so that the fan faces the top of the case. Which way is best or does it matter. Hopefully it's OK as is?

Probably okay as is but best practice would be to have the airflow facing towards an exhaust fan.

I'm a bit confused about how to connect up the fans. Basically I have 2 (intake and exhaust) fans with female connectors.
    These were connected into the fan header loom. There is a larger connector which seems to run to a high/low switch at the front of the chassis.
    This larger connector i presume just connects into the bequiet power supply?
    And if i do this i presume i don't connect anything to the system fan header on the motherboard? (of which , there is only one)

[IMG][/img]coG66p0.png

The cables highlighted yellow are going to the front and rear fans and have female connectors.
    The connectors marked red are all male.
    I presume i connect the large cable marked BLUE to the power supply?

The cables highlighted yellow are going to the front and rear fans and have female connectors.
    The connectors marked red are all male.
    I presume i connect the large cable marked red to the power supply?

Yeah, that's correct. Molex connector is for powering the inbuilt fan controller. You can also connect fans directly t o motherboard which would give you more control over the fans.

Yeah, that's correct. Molex connector is for powering the inbuilt fan controller. You can also connect fans directly t o motherboard which would give you more control over the fans.

I meant the molex connector marked blue in the pic (editied)
    I think wiring the fans to the motherboard isn't really a possibility as i only have one male molex on the motherboard? New to all this :(

I meant the molex connector marked blue in the pic (editied)
    I think wiring the fans to the motherboard isn't really a possibility as i only have one male molex on the motherboard? New to all this :(

You can plug the molex(highlighted inblue) into your powersupply and power your fans that way or plug your fans directly into fan headers on motherboard.

You can plug the molex(highlighted inblue) into your powersupply and power your fans that way or plug your fans directly into fan headers on motherboard.

Understood but i only have one fan header on the motherboard (male) and i have 2 fans with 2 seperate female molex connectors. :)

Understood but i only have one fan header on the motherboard (male) and i have 2 fans with 2 seperate female molex connectors. :)
    Jaysus! You have me confused now. :)

The fans have a molex connector!! never seen that before! And motherboard only has one fan header, never seen that either. You sure there isn't any more fans headers on motherboard.

• Advertisement

The fans have a molex connector!! never seen that before!

Really ?

And yes there is definitely only one system fan connector on the board. The other is for the CPU cooler which i've connected up already.

Advertisement