Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gigabyte Motherboard Fire

• 13-09-2019 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

So my motherboard caught fire last week.
    C9386wK.jpg

One day after using the PC for like 10 mins it suddenly turned off and then I saw smoke coming out. I quickly unplugged it and could see a flame coming from the top left corner of the motherboard. The fire originated from under the VRM heatsink. Images here: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZUGnceu

Would anybody here know any PC repair shops in Dublin that would test to see if my CPU is fried?
    Or does anybody here have an AM3+ motherboard that could test an FX8320?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TBH I'd take it as a sign to replace the CPU/motherboard with something better.

Even the lowly Ryzen 1200 from 2017 will beat an FX8320 at anything.

Trying to fix an FX8320 system is wasted money.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ACLFC7

Yeah, I've been looking at a Ryzen 5 2600 build.
    It's tempting but if it was just the motherboard, I could buy a used one for like €50 and keep my system for another year.

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    It's tempting but if it was just the motherboard, I could buy a used one for like €50 and keep my system for another year.

The Ryzen 2600 draws 76W at full load.
    The FX-8320 draws 73W at IDLE.

Wasted money! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    If going with same mobo, new and it was rev2 that was shipped to me in Jan for £48.56 at the time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CX4MUCC/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

^delete that :);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

only mentioned that not worth pay 50 for second hand.
    I had to get it as mine went belly up and i was just not ready for full kit upgrade. hopefully 3700x/x570 before 2020

Advertisement