Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Career choices for a 20 year old

• 23-11-2018 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all ,

I'm 20 , did the leaving when I was 18 and haven't been able to decide what career path to go down. I know there's no rush as you can just do a run of the mill job for a few years but I'd like to get into something skilled and well paid eventually and of course something I enjoy.
    I'm a keen car enthusiast but have decided against a career related to cars despite having an interest in it for a few years. I'm starting a basic enough job soon but I don't see that as long term. I wouldn't consider going to college as , even though I'm bright , I wouldn't be interested in having my head stuck in the books for 4 years.
    Anyone have any advice that has been in a similar situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

All I'll say is, while you're not keen on college now, you'll end up having to do it (or an apprenticeship) eventually if you want anything beyond basic/min wage work. No way to avoid the head in the books and I wish I had done it years ago, it's no easier at 30 I can tell ya. Plenty of hands on diploma/ordinary degree programs that might suit better than a 4 year degree too. Dont rule it out altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Philipki

engiweirdo wrote: »
    All I'll say is, while you're not keen on college now, you'll end up having to do it (or an apprenticeship) eventually if you want anything beyond basic/min wage work. No way to avoid the head in the books and I wish I had done it years ago, it's no easier at 30 I can tell ya. Plenty of hands on diploma/ordinary degree programs that might suit better than a 4 year degree too. Dont rule it out altogether.

Cheers for your advice. Those are my thoughts exactly - you have to do some sort of training if you want to avoid those badly paid jobs. I've looked at apprenticeships and there's none of them that really appeal to me anymore. Gonna work away in a normal min wage job for a while and see if I think of any other careers that might appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You have time. There's no hurry. But you must get a qualification - whether that be an apprenticeship or degree.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Philipki

Got a job working in horse stables recently and absolutely love it. I'd say there could be a career for me in it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

That's fantastic.

Have a look at this: https://www.irishhorsegateway.ie/education/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

What about an insurance apprenticeship?

Same as a trade in that you work at it while studying. I know a few guys doing it and they really like it. At the end of it you have a degree qualification and loads of different experience.

Insurance is MASSIVE in terms of scope of potential jobs, from sales to underwriting to broking to compliance, there are huge amount of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's good to hear. It's good you've identified that 4 years with your head in the books isn't for you. A lot of people make the mistake of going to college because they feel that's just what you have to do. Then they waste four years and come out with a mediocre result in a pointless degree at the end.

As per OMM's link, if you're enjoying the work in the stables, then a practical qualification in that industry may be the way to go. Business or veterinary may not be your bag, but farriering or breeding might offer the right mix of practical work to appeal to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭granturismo

Philipki wrote: »
    Got a job working in horse stables recently and absolutely love it. I'd say there could be a career for me in it yet!

Which sector are you working in and what is your job title?

A career involves job progression, so what job do you hope have in 20 years?

Family links will get you far in the thoroughbred industry. You will need qualifications for riding schools and money if you want to set up on your own later. Unless you have experience, family and money there will be limited progress from a minimum wage job in a showjumping yard.

Look around people who started where you are and where they ended up after 10-20 years.

Advertisement