Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need career advice.

• 22-04-2018 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Okay, so i'm feeling pretty conflicted right now. I'm caught between two passions and depending on which one i choose, it'll really affect my life because they are both completely different and contrast one another.

I want to study English and marketing and then work in marketing until i finish writing a novel and hopefully get it published, because i want a stable job whilst i write. But, I also want to study makeup artistry too, work at a makeup counter for a few years and eventually move onto working in theatre productions OR in tv/advertising doing makeup.

Everyday I change my mind and get even more confused but i'll need to reach a decision soon... On the one hand, with going to university and getting a bachelors degree, i'll have decent money and be able to travel (which I really want to do, and eventually plan on moving to america) or I could do the makeup, which will have bad money and I might be stuck at a counter for the rest of my life and never get to travel.

I'm also concerned that with the makeup I won't be able to afford living in dublin. I'll only be earning 1400-1500 per month after taxes at the beginning and the pay doesnt improve much afterward.

Advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Get your degree, study the make up in the summer break (and work on makeup counter in holidays too). Then when you graduate you’ll have both under your belt and can decide which to take forward at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 twiz

They don't have to be mutually exclusive - as mentioned above, you could always do both. If I were you, I'd prioritise the degree first and work around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Get your degree, study the make up in the summer break (and work on makeup counter in holidays too). Then when you graduate you’ll have both under your belt and can decide which to take forward at that point.

Exactly this.

1. Priority has to be the degree. Without one, your life will always be more difficult.

2. You can work part-time in BT or whatever at a makeup counter. You could also start your own YouTube makeup channel. You have options here.

So basically, do all of them at the same time.

Advertisement