Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-12-2018, 14:21   #1
pinkypinky

Christmas genealogy

No, this is not a thread about fanciful biblical genealogies...

As Christmas is usually a time when family gathers together, what genealogy goals do you have this year?

It's always a good way to get older family members talking about the past.

Or maybe you'll be collecting their used glasses for DNA samples!

I always update the (few) interested family members on any progress I've made during the year.

Also don't forget to review any commercial Christmas offers - there's usually good deals to be had.
Advertisement
13-12-2018, 14:46   #2
Wyldwood

Unfortunately, I am the older generation now

But I would love the opportunity to sit down and chat to some of those gone before, sadly I had no interest when the chance was there.

I will be conferring with those of my relations who are also interested in the family history, however.
(2) thanks from:
15-12-2018, 19:07   #3
Jellybaby1

I'd just like to know how to enthuse my younger generation about their family history. When I do start telling them about their great grandparents they feign interest but I can tell they're just pretending in order to humour mammy!
Thanks from:
15-12-2018, 20:40   #4
spurious
Category Moderator

I only recently found a surviving sibling of my ggggrandmother so that will be the big news.

Sadly it seems the male line died out with World War One and from what I can see the female line did not marry but I have hopes there may be another missing sibling waiting for me to find him/her.

Have bought some DNA kits and will be getting second cousins to take them. Hopefully they don't come back as half mince pie.
Thanks from:
15-12-2018, 22:17   #5
pinkypinky

I am already half mince pie this December.
Advertisement
15-12-2018, 22:59   #6
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
I am already half mince pie this December.
15-12-2018, 23:22   #7
pinkypinky

As in, I've eaten so many that my DNA has surely mutated to be 50% mince pie.
16-12-2018, 00:25   #8
Hermy

Of course.

I thought maybe it was rhyming slang for something else.
16-12-2018, 02:06   #9
Markcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
I'd just like to know how to enthuse my younger generation about their family history. When I do start telling them about their great grandparents they feign interest but I can tell they're just pretending in order to humour mammy!
Write it all down, and if you can include captioned photos all the better....
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-12-2018, 08:29   #10
spurious
Category Moderator

That reminds me, grab the oldest family member you can and get them to identify people in photos. Write the info on the back, or put it in the file name.
16-12-2018, 14:49   #11
tabbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
I only recently found a surviving sibling of my ggggrandmother.
Surviving?

Are you serious? or did a few "g"s get in there?

Any siblings of my ggggrandparents would be 200 years old by now.
Thanks from:
16-12-2018, 15:21   #12
OU812

I'm after uncovering (through DNA) a whole new line of family I didn't know existed so I'll be spending a lot of Xmas on that.

Got a match on my dad's DNA & tried contacting the person. Turns out their (half) niece was managing the DNA for them trying to trace any family as he found out in his 70s that the man he though was his father wasn't. He's a first cousin of my dad so it's got to be one of his uncles is the father. Both were married at the time so some shenanigans were going on. Through the person who contacted me, I was able to find out the wife & children of one of these uncles emigrated to the US in the 50s. All dead now but I have found their children who have the same surname as me & have sent them a FB message this morning.

Fingers crossed &'ll be able to get some gaps filled in through them - not too hopeful but there's a possibility of maybe a photo or documents
16-12-2018, 15:26   #13
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldwood
I will be conferring with those of my relations who are also interested in the family history, however.

Make a cassette tape or whatever modern version they have nowadays. Record whatever you want. Funny stories about your parents or grandparents help bring them to life for the younger generation. Making a recording means the younger ones might listen to it in years to come
Thanks from:
16-12-2018, 17:12   #14
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbey View Post
Surviving?
Perhaps a sibling that survived to adulthood?
16-12-2018, 18:53   #15
spurious
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
Perhaps a sibling that survived to adulthood?
Yes that's what I meant. Those that had survived into their teens had been whisked away by TB in the 1850s, but lo and behold one guy survived to marry in 1870 and give me another group to follow. However, it looks like they may have died out, thanks to World War One, infant mortality and daughters who did not marry.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion