Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looks like lyca are getting ready for an Irish launch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

war10ck wrote: »
    bought a simpack today with 5euro credit pre-loaded on it.called my relatives in canada and the 1cent per minute promise works.havent tried the data yet...

Where did you buy the SIM pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 war10ck

Oracle wrote: »
    Where did you buy the SIM pack?

They have a small both inside an Asian Shop in Fonthill Retail Park near Liffey Valley.I'll PM you the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Check your local shop people!

They were visiting shops this week delivering the sim packs. (They did me anyway!) I put one into a spare mobile I have and checked it.

As per rules on shilling, I will not say what shop I am but they should now be easily available.

Have not tried the data yet.

war10ck wrote: »
    They have a small both inside an Asian Shop in Fonthill Retail Park near Liffey Valley.I'll PM you the name.

Thanks for that War10ck. This is what Lycamobile do in the UK too, they sell SIMs and credit in small, local, high street newsagents and mini-markets. It's a good strategy, a win-win for both.

P.S. The home page now says the SIMs are available from Spar, Eurospar and Mace (bottom right): http://www.lycamobile.ie/

Oracle wrote: »
    Thanks for that War10ck. This is what Lycamobile do in the UK too, they sell SIMs and credit in small, local, high street newsagents and mini-markets. It's a good strategy, a win-win for both.

P.S. The home page now says the SIMs are available from Spar, Eurospar and Mace (bottom right): http://www.lycamobile.ie/

Ah that's good news...just called a friend in the U.S awhile ago and again 1 cent a minute works ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

The sims can also be gotten on some of the streets in city centre, got mine from one of the streets of o'connel.

Still data not working.. How are you guys finding call quality?
    Called UK and it was fine but called US and it was horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Must pick one up and stick it in the X10 to test out.

vicM wrote: »
    The sims can also be gotten on some of the streets in city centre, got mine from one of the streets of o'connel.

Still data not working.. How are you guys finding call quality?
    Called UK and it was fine but called US and it was horrible

I called U.S and Canada without problems.Try to hang-up if quality is bad then dial again....I hope their call rates won't change:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Applied for another one. They say I will have it within 7 days. Seeing as I've been waiting 26 days for the original one I'm not holding out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Picked up a €5 sim pack with €5 credit on it today as I was passing Heuston.

Had to call support (audio quality was awful) to get the details for data.
    So here it is for anyone who is googling:

APN: data.lycamobile.ie
    username: lmie
    password: plus

Careful your phone doesn't auto correct lmie to lime!

Free unlimited data between now and the end of the month (I've seen 3GB previously on their site). The agent had no idea about prices after that.

Here is me transcribing their T&C from their brochure
    1c/min to call over 50 international destinations: The new promotional rates are valid from 01/06/2012 until 30/06/2012....
    Unlimited Free internet offer is valid from 1st June to 30th June 2012.You will need to top-up your Lycamobile SIM at least once to activate your Unlimited free internet.

Every time you top-up with a €05 voucher online during June 2012, you will be credited with an additional €05. Offer valid only on the first 2 online top ups during June 2012, and extra credit is valid only for 30 days from the top-up.

So it's not like the Tesco double credit thing, because it only applies online, for the first 2 topups and only during June.

I'd love to hear about other peoples speeds. I have about 500ms ping and 0.4mbit down in the city. It's not very speedy.

• Advertisement

Interesting aside ..... "Lycamobile is Tories' top corporate donor - but pays no corporation tax"

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

So after the end of this month what will their rates be? :rolleyes: Roll on Sunday :D

By the way, still waiting for the SIM to arrive in the post, NOT impressed :(
    Might just purchase one somewhere in Dublin city center tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭marrm

If you google lycamobile scam you'll get a lot of interesting info.

Bought a €5 Lycamobile sim card yesterday (30 June).

Salesguy told me: 1c calls. unlimited data. double your money on top-up. :o

What he did not tell me: Offers expire 1 July. Need to do a top-up to get internet access. :mad:

Tried to call their "Customer Service" three times- 322 from mobile or 4372322 from landline- got music for 5-10 minutes, then a hang-up - each time. Some service!

Either it's a rip-off or they are a bunch of incompetent ******s.

They will not tell you what their "standard call rates" are at the end of the offer period. :mad:

Their unlimited data services does not work on my Nokia N8. :mad: :mad:

BEWARE!

Offers have now been extended to 31st July :rolleyes: :D

marrm wrote: »
    If you google lycamobile scam you'll get a lot of interesting info.

Bought a €5 Lycamobile sim card yesterday (30 June).

Salesguy told me: 1c calls. unlimited data. double your money on top-up. :o

What he did not tell me: Offers expire 1 July. Need to do a top-up to get internet access. :mad:

Tried to call their "Customer Service" three times- 322 from mobile or 4372322 from landline- got music for 5-10 minutes, then a hang-up - each time. Some service!

Either it's a rip-off or they are a bunch of incompetent ******s.

They will not tell you what their "standard call rates" are at the end of the offer period. :mad:

Their unlimited data services does not work on my Nokia N8. :mad: :mad:

BEWARE!

The €5 SIM is pre-topped up and the data should work if you enter the APN details I posted above.

The rest of what you said is probably true, he also didn't mention that the double topup ONLY works for the first 2 topups you make... only online, and only during june (and probably july).

Is it just me or does credit expire after 3 months? My topped up sim credit expires in sept anyway

Not just you breathn, after making a call I also get a September expiry date displayed.

Is it possible (like on a Tesco SIM, *100*9#) to display the Bonus Credit expiry date?

Also, as all credit is displayed as one value (unlike Tesco), does the bonus credit get used first, even when dialing international numbers, or is it used on national numbers only?

Cannot find answers to this on their website :rolleyes:

Lycramobile it's not really a launch, it's a web site announcing a possible service, if you can find a SIM. Even then you have to phone them, and stay on hold for ages to activate it. I'm still waiting on the SIM I ordered 2 weeks ago ..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Today I got the Lyca Mobile SIM card I ordered online 3 weeks ago. Topped up by €5 online, got double credit immediately and everything is working as expected.

Full report to follow in a month or two when I'll have extensive experience. So far things look promising.

Picked up a free SIM a few days ago (small shop on Talbot St.), topped up Eur5 online, so got Eur10 credit. All good so far, as calls and texts work fine, both national and international.

Unlike the Tesco Mobile SIM, the free Lyca credit can also be used on international calls, so that's a real bonus. Would like to be able to see the Bonus Credit expiry date onscreen, does anyone here know what number, if any, to type in for that? :)

Haven't tried using data yet, might do in the next few days, and if so will report back here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kirra

I got new lyca mobile, internet worked for 5 mins and then no more. Is it still working for you , please let us know

• Advertisement

kirra wrote: »
    I got new lyca mobile, internet worked for 5 mins and then no more. Is it still working for you , please let us know

Still working here on an iPhone. What phone do you have, did you recheck your settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kirra

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    Still working here on an iPhone. What phone do you have, did you recheck your settings?
    I am using Samsung Galaxy S1 , it worked after some time . But , it only works with username: lmau and data roaming switched on which drains battery!

kirra wrote: »
    I am using Samsung Galaxy S1 , it worked after some time . But , it only works with username: lmau and data roaming switched on which drains battery!

I don't understand why data roaming would drain battery? It's never done so on the iPhone I have, doesn't make a difference whether I turn data roaming on or off.

Lyca Mobile is working brilliantly for me. On my iPhone, I am achieving speeds of around 3 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up, as tested by the Speedtest.net app.

For anyone having trouble setting this up, here are the settings you need to use with your phone:

APN: data.lycamobile.ie
    Username: lmie
    Password: plus

Tried to top up online using my O2 Money card but failed.Called helpdesk,agent advised IE instead of FFox but still hopeless.Anyone experienced same thing?

Lycamobile have reduced their Internet offer to just 50 MB per month. Even if you top up by €50 every month, you still only get 50 MB.

This makes their offer much less interesting, as it was the main differentiator from other networks. If you own a basic featurephone, it's fine, but for smart phone users (iPhone, Android, etc), that makes things rather limited.

This was one of my worries, as every price they have seems to be on a time limited offer, you never know how much your service will cost from one month to another.

50MB per month followed by 15c per MB. That's €150 per GB.

We decided to use Tesco Mobile for international calls because those are guaranteed until the end of the year.

Lycamobile still offer great international rates, but the fact that they have limited the internet to just 50 MB per month is very disappointing.

It would have been better to introduce some fair use conditions, or keep the "all you can eat"-type offer for users who top up by a bigger amount each month. As it is, there is little reason to switch from Tescomobile to Lycamobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

Did anyone else get a text saying they are offering unlimited data now?

Also I think there 35e all in offer is quite good if you take into account you just need to top up by 20e then when you have the bonus credit opt into the deal, effectively making it only 20e :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭icylava

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    Lycamobile have reduced their Internet offer to just 50 MB per month. Even if you top up by €50 every month, you still only get 50 MB.

This makes their offer much less interesting, as it was the main differentiator from other networks. If you own a basic featurephone, it's fine, but for smart phone users (iPhone, Android, etc), that makes things rather limited.

Where did you see that the data bundle has been reduced to 50MB? I just got the lycamobile sim working on my phone and the Internet is working brilliantly....I was thinking tethering with my laptop.....

Their website still says unlimited data on any top-up till 31st, Oct....

Advertisement