Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How rare is it to see a badger?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

About 30 years ago, I used to see them quite frequently at night. They would come and eat food from the cats dish outside the kitchen window. Haven`t seen them sinse.
    They have seen you though. Just sayin'.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Esel wrote: »
    As the badgers don't change their 'clock', traffic volume around dawn/dusk will be different after we change. This could affect the number of road deaths.

It wouldn't make that much of a difference to see an actual rise in road casualties. Srameen has already given a good explanation to why there are more Badgers killed on the roads this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Had a pleasure of watching a set in county Limerick last year on some scouting Ireland land, early morning.

Genuinely the most majestic creatures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I know a particular location which a came upon by chance. Was out fishing one day in a real off the beaten track, where I seldom see another fisherman, and I sort of have the river to myself. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever met another person in all the times I've fished there. Anyway, one morning whilst sitting quietly, as you do, out pops a badger from a set on the far bank of the river. First time I've ever seen one in daylight. Watched him for best part of twenty minutes.

Since then, I've seen badgers during the daylight in the same location, a couple more times, over a number of years, but never anywhere else. Why this particular location, i dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

We have them in the Garden (lots of forestry, wild land around) and have captured them on trail Cam - one used to come right up to the house - they bolt if they hear the dogs barking - they are fast! We had the same one for years and he was looking a bit beat up and gnarly (haven't seen him this year at all :( )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Funny I saw this thread as I saw my first "in the wild" one last week. It was in the neighbour's front garden directly across facing ours. She does leave food out the front for her cats so it's not uncommon to see one of the local foxes having a munch but I was taken aback to see this black/white striped "fox" - took a second to twig what it was. He had a good look at me while I stood there but he sprinted off a soon as I made a move. Now where we are is a small Essex town surrounded by countryside but I'd say we're the guts of a mile (in the middle of housing estate) from said countryside so I'm not sure how frequently I may see my new friend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I saw one in Thomond Park last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Back in the 90s we had one living in our garden in Shankill.
    We were right beside Dart line so it may have lived in the ditch there, hell there could have been a few of them but Ö only remember seeing one. During the nights we used to hear it rummaging around looking for food I guess (before wheelie bins) we just used to have black sacks in the yard waiting for the binmen every Tuesday. Period of time where I used to be the delegate to have to clean up after the badger :(

I remember one morning instead of telling me to clean up the bins, my old man asked me to go out to the garden and get his shoe. ???? What???? Turns out he heard badger at the bins during the night, so he focked his shoe out the window to chase it away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    I've never actually seen one in the wild, apparently there vicious?
    More likely to see a fox or Pine Martin

Apparently if they bite you they will not let go, kinda lock jaw. They wait to hear a snap of breaking bone. You are supposed to snap a branch or twig to get them to release. Apparently anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Seve OB wrote: »
    Apparently if they bite you they will not let go, kinda lock jaw. They wait to hear a snap of breaking bone. You are supposed to snap a branch or twig to get them to release. Apparently anyway.

Urban myth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Seve OB wrote: »

Though that was Beaver's

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

whelzer wrote: »
    I see them regularly enough in the phoenix park, best was summer 2017 - at dusk, a whole family scuttled past me and ran alongside the fence of the zoo for 20-30 meters before going into the zoo. I was (am still!) gobsmacked...
    Fair play to them. It's bloody expensive to bring the family to the zoo these days.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They probably had a staff pass. :pac:

I saw quite a few dead ones along various roads in the West (I even got out of the car to see if some of them were still alive :(), but I'll never forget the one time I was driving along a boreen at dusk and a big fat one crossed the road. It made me very happy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Though that was Beaver's

No I think it is red haired children that do that

As for Badgers, the male can get thrown out when old and that is when they can become a little cranky and when you are likely to find them living close to humans and even visible during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I've heard they are common enough but I've never seen a live bader . Clare's a badger-baiting tourism hotspot , apparently , so maybe that's why.

I've been told there's a set or a number of them in an oakwood I know. I'm dying to sleep there overnight and see if I can see them . Next best thing to foxes and hares.

hope it's ok to post this for the other badger lovers.
    hiro-hirorwar-american-badgers-look-like-they-re-about-to-34042067.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

I've heard they are common enough but I've never seen a live bader . Clare's a badger-baiting tourism hotspot , apparently , so maybe that's why.

The main killer of badgers is the Dept. of Agriculture. The Dept. kills them to stop the spread of TB which could also be achieved by vaccinating cattle. We'd see a lot more badgers otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

has it ever been proven that badger's urine contains TB?

fryup wrote: »
    has it ever been proven that badger's urine contains TB?

some studies suggest infected faeces and urine in pasture carries TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

hope it's ok to post this for the other badger lovers.
    hiro-hirorwar-american-badgers-look-like-they-re-about-to-34042067.png
    I saw an Irish one once, in a garden near Herbert Park, but it was closer to the US photo than the European one - definitely more brown than black.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,246 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Common enough,

Look for paths about a foot wide, bit less, setts in sloped areas in wooded area.

Best chance is late evening on summer evening, seeing the young at play.

Staying up all night is your only chance otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I see them almost weekly at night. Had one come at me once but totally by accident. He was running wildly & blindly...

An old forester told me they used to carry sticks they could snap if badger caught their ankle as they wouldn't let go until they heard bone snap...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I saw 2 badgers fighting one night. They were locked into each other and screeching like mad (I reckon the banshee noise came from badgers).

I live in rural Galway and see them fairly regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Saw one about a year ago at Killiney dart station, very scary actually,

Just on the European and American Badgers ; a number of years ago the Irish Times produced a beautiful, glossy, colour wall chart of Irish Mammals and included a copy with every paper. It was a wonderful educational tool, except that they had a lovely picture of an American Badger. An embarrassing and expensive error.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

pburns wrote: »
    I see them almost weekly at night. Had one come at me once but totally by accident. He was running wildly & blindly...

An old forester told me they used to carry sticks they could snap if badger caught their ankle as they wouldn't let go until they heard bone snap...

There seems to have been many stories of Badgers not letting go until they hear a bone break, the most popular one I heard from old fellas when I was growing up was put coal cinders in your boots and when the badger hears them being crushed he'll then let go of his bite.

Imagine walking around the countryside with cinders in your wellies on the off chance a badger jumps out and bites your ankle. Jesus fellas must have been fairly paranoid.

Another one I remember was a badgers jaw can't be dislocated because of it's unique construction.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Saw a badger strike a dog once, years ago, blew his lower jaw off.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Charming.

New Home wrote: »
    Charming.

Certainly not without its down side.

Lots of talk g about whether they will keep going till they snap a leg I do not know that but they are tough creatures and to not be interfered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

some studies suggest infected faeces and urine in pasture carries TB.

from badgers alone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I saw an Irish one once, in a garden near Herbert Park, but it was closer to the US photo than the European one - definitely more brown than black.
    Just on the European and American Badgers ; a number of years ago the Irish Times produced a beautiful, glossy, colour wall chart of Irish Mammals and included a copy with every paper. It was a wonderful educational tool, except that they had a lovely picture of an American Badger. An embarrassing and expensive error.

I was thinking it's a shame about the American badger in this . Those pull out posters are nice and it sounds lovely apart from that .

We have the same species as the UK, is that right ?

You could never have had Wind in the Willows with American animals ....
    There seems to have been many stories of Badgers not letting go until they hear a bone break, the most popular one I heard from old fellas when I was growing up was put coal cinders in your boots and when the badger hears them being crushed he'll then let go of his bite.

Imagine walking around the countryside with cinders in your wellies on the off chance a badger jumps out and bites your ankle. Jesus fellas must have been fairly paranoid.

I had a good cackle at this...wished I hadn't read beyond your comment , though .

Advertisement