Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seen & Found

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Any idea if this is a reproduction?
    Found in the shed of our new (200 year old) house.

Attachment not found.

Definitely not a thousand years old but beautifully carved and it should be put somewhere safe for now. I would be inclined to run it by the National Museum and follow their recommendations for further action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Ms2011

slowburner wrote: »
    Any idea if this is a reproduction?
    Found in the shed of our new (200 year old) house.

Attachment not found.

Definitely not a thousand years old but beautifully carved and it should be put somewhere safe for now. I would be inclined to run it by the National Museum and follow their recommendations for further action.

I have emailed them along with a local museum but I won't hold my breath waiting for them to get back to me, they're not known for their speed in that regard!!!

Some have said the head might be the face of Crom Dubh stolen from a wall on 1993, anyone know much about this??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Some have said the head might be the face of Crom Dubh stolen from a wall on 1993, anyone know much about this??
    It ain’t that either!

slowburner wrote: »
    It ain’t that either!

Well at least I don't have stolen property!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Saw a lovely one of these on sale in the Fairyhouse market for €50 about 20 years ago from a traveller's stall. It looked genuine.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Looks a bit like the head in this article. Note: they only used the image as a general one to show the head of NMI with an exhibit. Nothing in my he article about the exhibit itself.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/laundry-legacy-artistic-response-to-magdalenes-37939894.html

County museum has been out to inspect the heads. They seemed interested in them, took pics, measurments etc.
    I think the next step is for them to get in touch with the National Museum to see if they want to inspect them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Cool! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Kamili

County museum has been out to inspect the heads. They seemed interested in them, took pics, measurments etc.
    I think the next step is for them to get in touch with the National Museum to see if they want to inspect them.

oh brill, keep us updated thats really interesting. Fair play to you!

• Advertisement

Kamili wrote: »

oh brill, keep us updated thats really interesting. Fair play to you!

The National Museum have sent me out a ‘report a discovery form’ which I posted back today.
    They will want to do a site visit but I'm not sure when.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Kamili

The very best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

The National Museum have sent me out a ‘report a discovery form’ which I posted back today.
    They will want to do a site visit but I'm not sure when.

Very similar to a carving of a monks head on the side of a monastery founded by colmcille here.
    Not sure how old the one here is but I'll try get a pic and date.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ardrageen

2cr7vgz.jpg

Any thoughts on what this might be? It is the size of a 10 cent coin and weighs about 4.5 grams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Ardrageen wrote: »
    2cr7vgz.jpg

Any thoughts on what this might be? It is the size of a 10 cent coin and weighs about 4.5 grams.

Looks like a spindle whorl.

Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mocmo

A spindle whorl would have a hole all the way through it, but it could be an unfinished example. Any more photos showing different views? I'd also post in the geology forum, it might be part of a fossil.

mocmo wrote:
    A spindle whorl would have a hole all the way through it, but it could be an unfinished example. Any more photos showing different views? I'd also post in the geology forum, it might be part of a fossil.

Looks like the centre bit is full of some sort of concretion.. that'd be one hell of a fossil!

Well I'm no geologist but the partial band of parallel lines around the hollow remind me of shell fossils (ammonite?) and natural forms often do a great job of looking man made. More photos of the opposite side and profile would be useful.

Looks like the centre bit is full of some sort of concretion.. that'd be one hell of a fossil!

Sorry just re reading your comment, do you mean that the centre has different material stuck in it? If so, then yes most likely a whorl. I was looking at it as all being the same piece of stone if you get me!

• Advertisement

Side view. I took this one under a microscope.

8x80v5.jpg

Underside
    eq5lxv.jpg

Ardrageen wrote: »
    Side view. I took this one under a microscope.

8x80v5.jpg

Underside
    eq5lxv.jpg

Okay its not a spindle whorl!

looks almost like the broken neck of a penny ink jar but it probably isnt so i'll back out now :)

Hmmmm, I think it might be natural, definitely worth showing the geologists.

Thanks for your help. I will try the Geologists. I really thought the markings on the front must be man made but nature is funny.

I do find fossils on a daily basis here in the bedrock but this was in the soil so I was unsure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Patty Hearst

Hi guys

Long shot but wondering if this was anything, like an axe head or something?

I've no experience in archaeology but thought it looked like a tool.

Found it at the edge of a rocky beach so obviously its probably one of the million other sea worn rocks on the beach!

The area is rich in neolithic sites and middens etc

Where I found it, it seemed like someone else had been inspecting it and discarded it.

Screen-Shot-2019-04-30-at-17-48-52.png

IMG-20190430-173524.jpg

IMG-20190430-173458.jpg

Hi guys

Long shot but wondering if this was anything, like an axe head or something?

I've no experience in archaeology but thought it looked like a tool.

Found it at the edge of a rocky beach so obviously its probably one of the million other sea worn rocks on the beach!

The area is rich in neolithic sites and middens etc

Where I found it, it seemed like someone else had been inspecting it and discarded it.

Screen-Shot-2019-04-30-at-17-48-52.png

IMG-20190430-173524.jpg

IMG-20190430-173458.jpg

This is a real head scratcher!
    It could just be a rolled beach cobble that happens to be the same shape as a polished stone adze. An axe is shaped on both the upper and lower sides of the cutting edge. This appears to be (possibly) shaped on just one side which would make it an adze. The overall shape is close to being right but the sides don’t seem quite right to my eye. If it was an unfinished adze or axe rough-out, knapping scars would be expected and they are not evident. The petrology looks not quite right either but that might not be a decisive factor.
    The overall size is more or less right for a stone adze.
    Typically, axes and adzes are highest in the centre and rounded down to the sides. This is not visible in the photos. It might be present but it’s not possible to judge.
    A photo end on to the possible cutting edge would show this. If you put it on a flat surface, can you rock it from side to side?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Hi guys found this along high water mark yesterday on a sheltered spot along the Shannon near Killimer. It was close to where a bit of erosion was taking place from the land bank. Was picking stones with the young fella for skimming when I spotted it. Different shape and type stone to the usual on the shore and feels heavier than its size. Anyway wondering if ye think that it might be an axe head or just natural ?

Approx 14cm in length
    8.5cm at widest point
    3cm in depth

Indentation on underside.

87cMR8s.jpg?1

L3O482Y.jpg?1

L2sV2TN.jpg

SRaadDq.jpg

cIxtUrN.jpg

2l31GfB.jpg

Hi guys found this along high water mark yesterday on a sheltered spot along the Shannon near Killimer. It was close to where a bit of erosion was taking place from the land bank. Was picking stones with the young fella for skimming when I spotted it. Different shape and type stone to the usual on the shore and feels heavier than its size. Anyway wondering if ye think that it might be an axe head or just natural ?

Approx 14cm in length
    8.5cm at widest point
    3cm in depth

Indentation on underside.
    Most likely a natural water-rolled cobble. The concave surface on the 'underside' is the key diagnostic feature. Polished stone axes should have an equal amount of curvature on both long surfaces, or a flat underside in the case of an adze. The blunt, square-across 'butt' supports this opinion.
    That said, it looks as though it could possibly have been in contact with high temperatures at some time. There is a reddish tinge that could be a result of brief contact with fire. Were there other red tinged stones in that area?
    It's not inconceivable that this cobble was picked up at random and used as an coarse stone tool, but without modification. If there are other stones near where this was found that exhibit fire reddening, then there is a greater chance that it is an arbitrary coarse stone tool. Context is everything!
    Great photos btw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thanks slowburner.

Had a brief look around when I was there and couldn't see any more stone of the same colour or texture, mostly limestone on the shore. Not from the area but on my next visit I will take a closer look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HoteiMarkii

I spotted this enclosure on satellite imagery recently:

46872024025_aa70697558_c.jpg

46872035175_041500a027_c.jpg

It doesn't appear on the National Monuments Service SMR database. Measuring approximately 50 metres in diameter, it sits on undulating tillage near Knavinstown, in south Kildare. There may be another large circular enclosure approximately 100 metres southwest of this enclosure (you can just about see it in the bottom right hand corner of the second image above). There are other smaller circular features dotted around this area too. I've sent a Monuments Report Form to the NMS.

Intriguingly enough, there may be some association with this newly discovered enclosure and the Hill of Uisneach. The red line in the first image above is aligned to the Hill of Uisneach and marks the direction of the summer solstice sunset.

I discovered a previously unrecorded enclosure not far from this one last year. KD022-122 lies one kilometre east of the above enclosure, and it's an enclosure I observed the Summer solstice sunset from last year. See post #175 here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057041465&page=12

Advertisement