Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greystones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

A short distance away you have a veritable mansion. BER C3, private, quiet, plenty of space inside and out, as close to amenities as the Marina if you decide to amble by bike as opposed to foot, twice the size of what you're looking at in Marina, posh part of Greystones...

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/poynstown-killincarrig-greystones-co-wicklow-a63-xt02/4213861

Now it might be a bit beyond your budget (although it's been languishing so potential for a silly offer). But underscores the seeming madness of paying through the nose for a comparative sardine can in a high density concrete jungle. Just because its nominally "on the water"

I really think that you are completely missing the point or else you are being deliberately obtuse?
    The whole joy of living in Greystones is that you are living in a seaside town. You can walk to the beach, the pub, the shops, the Dart and even the Happy Pear! The house that you have linked would require getting into your car to do any of those things which would defeat the whole purpose for me! I would love to live in Greystones but would have no interest in Killincarrig, Delgany or Kilcoole!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

C3PO wrote: »

A short distance away you have a veritable mansion. BER C3, private, quiet, plenty of space inside and out, as close to amenities as the Marina if you decide to amble by bike as opposed to foot, twice the size of what you're looking at in Marina, posh part of Greystones...

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/poynstown-killincarrig-greystones-co-wicklow-a63-xt02/4213861

Now it might be a bit beyond your budget (although it's been languishing so potential for a silly offer). But underscores the seeming madness of paying through the nose for a comparative sardine can in a high density concrete jungle. Just because its nominally "on the water"

I really think that you are completely missing the point or else you are being deliberately obtuse?
    The whole joy of living in Greystones is that you are living in a seaside town. You can walk to the beach, the pub, the shops, the Dart and even the Happy Pear! The house that you have linked would require getting into your car to do any of those things which would defeat the whole purpose for me! I would love to live in Greystones but would have no interest in Killincarrig, Delgany or Kilcoole!

You missed the bit where I mentioned a bicycle. For the same amount of calories expended and in the same amount of time and with the same kind of leisurely amble .. you can avail of all amenities.

Indeed, if your preference was the Burnaby pub and Dart .. rather than the Happy Pear, you'd be quicker from Killincarrig on a bike.

Personally, I'd set aside the estate agent-like blurb about living 'in' a seaside townfor a proper gaf which is:

twice the size.

has parking you won't be fighting over and plenty of it

Has a extensive garden (kids anyone?)

Isn't ripe for being ruined by whatever comes down the tracks by virtue of sitting in the middle of a harbour amenity in a location currently being developed all round

Oh, and its insurance premiums are unlikely to rise should any significant sea level rise risk-parameter change occur. Indeed, its stock can be expected to rise.

Obtuse? No. I just hate living in packed environments

C3PO wrote:

You missed the bit where I mentioned a bicycle. For the same amount of calories expended and in the same amount of time and with the same kind of leisurely amble .. you can avail of all amenities.

Indeed, if your preference was the Burnaby pub and Dart .. rather than the Happy Pear (a.k.a poncevillel) you'd be quicker from Killincarrig on a bike.

Personally, I'd set aside the estate agent-like blurb about living 'in' a seaside town for a proper gaf which is:

twice the size. That's 2 times.

has parking you won't be fighting over and plenty of it.

Has a extensive garden (kids anyone?)

Isn't ripe for being ruined by whatever comes down the tracks by virtue of sitting in the middle of a harbour amenity in a location currently being developed all round

Oh, and its insurance premiums are unlikely to rise should any significant sea level rise risk-parameter change occur. Indeed, its stock can be expected to rise.

Remember too, that Greystones is a consumer village - its all about the squillion variety of lattes you can buy, queuing outside the Happy Pear then scrabbling for a wobbly table opposite a bustop. In real world, when you actually need to live you're going to be in your car: up to Tescos and Aldi, into Bray for all the everyday items and services you need.

Obtuse? No. I just hate living in packed environments sold with 'lifestyle' tags that have no bearing on reality.

Edit: Oh and, the Killincarrig house has 'lovely sea views'. Which is more than can be said for the Marina house under discussion

I was skimming down a write up on the latest, greatest iphone. Something like 8 times the price of my smartphone, it was.

What does one get for 8 times the price, I wondered. Turns out, in terms of the essence of what a smart phone offers, it didn't do lots more. Nice features, faster, better camera, nice build. But in essence, a marginal improvement.

Expensive form over function.

The Marina has that same feel. It's close to the sea but so what: you don't get any views (unless you pay for them), it isn't a village, whatever about the name. The "seaside amenity" is limited and made of concrete (compared to say, Bray seafront). It's smart, but like an iphone, the cost paid for marginal improvement is out of sight.

Beautiful house by the way!

You've got my taste sussed out anyway!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

Yep, that house is great - but it doesn't suit my needs as it's just me and a child (Well grown up one) who is on an Erasmus programme at the moment but will live with me again come June for probably another 2-3 years. I want a bit of space but not too much. A major priority is a good energy rating. I live literally across the road from the sea but the house needs serious renovation (to tune of excess 150k). And it has a G ber rating - last gas bill 600e.....Due to circumstances I don't have that kind of cash. I dont want to re-mortgage as if the economy tanks again and I lose work, I could lose my home. If I sell and buy an efficient home for the same money I get for mine, then it's a win win. With Marina Village I get a good house beside the sea, but lose the view (I have a good view). I'm single too, so there's nobody to pitch in if I lost my job which makes me so hesitant to borrow. I agree it's packed down there, narrow roads etc, but I'd be mortgage free and in an efficient house...Not ideal, I know. But I can still be within 5 mins of a swim....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

seasidedub wrote: »
    it's just me and a child (Well grown up one) who is on an Erasmus programme at the moment but will live with me again come June for probably another 2-3 years. I want a bit of space but not too much. A major priority is a good energy rating.
    Why not book one of the apartments then?
    https://www.daft.ie/wicklow/new-homes-for-sale/marina-village-apartments-marina-village-apartments-greystones-wicklow-108213/
    I always thought the houses kind of "fell between two stools". Not quite enough parking space and garden area for a family. Too big inside for a single or a couple. And of course, stuck between the apartment blocks and the railway.
    The whole site is ideal for apartments, shops and restaurants.
    Houses... not so much.

recedite wrote: »
    Why not book one of the apartments then?
    https://www.daft.ie/wicklow/new-homes-for-sale/marina-village-apartments-marina-village-apartments-greystones-wicklow-108213/
    I always thought the houses kind of "fell between two stools". Not quite enough parking space and garden area for a family. Too big inside for a single or a couple. And of course, stuck between the apartment blocks and the railway.
    The whole site is ideal for apartments, shops and restaurants.
    Houses... not so much.

I get your point, but the yearly charges for a 2 bed apartment are in excess of 3000e - that's before you've even paid a bill.......

Yep, that house is great - but it doesn't suit my needs as it's just me and a child (Well grown up one) who is on an Erasmus programme at the moment but will live with me again come June for probably another 2-3 years. I want a bit of space but not too much. A major priority is a good energy rating. I live literally across the road from the sea but the house needs serious renovation (to tune of excess 150k). And it has a G ber rating - last gas bill 600e.....Due to circumstances I don't have that kind of cash. I dont want to re-mortgage as if the economy tanks again and I lose work, I could lose my home. If I sell and buy an efficient home for the same money I get for mine, then it's a win win. With Marina Village I get a good house beside the sea, but lose the view (I have a good view). I'm single too, so there's nobody to pitch in if I lost my job which makes me so hesitant to borrow. I agree it's packed down there, narrow roads etc, but I'd be mortgage free and in an efficient house...Not ideal, I know. But I can still be within 5 mins of a swim....

Fair enough. I understand the dearth of quality houses for your situation. And understand the desire not to hop onto the debt ladder again (having dismounted myself). And understand the attraction of warm and cosy vs period G.

I dunno. I had occasion to be in one of those houses - the one's facing towards the Dart line. Both the house and the area struck me as .. without soul. Probably a new build thing.

Time will tell whether my suspicion comes true: the area becomes a hotspot for amenity based activity and you find yourself in the middle of the general aggro that comes with lots of people competing for a small resource

Best of luck with it in any case.

I totally get you. I think you should go for it, Greystones would be perfect for you!!!

• Advertisement

So, the 127 m2 semi which had a small patio as a garden and no possibility to extend, ever, and is totally overlooked by the la Touche redevelopment went sale agreed for 810k. This must be one of the best prices ever achieved in Greystones for that size/type of house. It was adjacent to the sea, but did not have sea views as per advertisement, trust me - I viewed twice. According to E.A. buyer "really, really wanted it". Wow.

Viewed 2 in Marina Village, and a 3rd coming up. The layout of all of them is odd. But, They are 12 minutes walk from Ladies Cove and 3 minutes walk from the beach which will be accessed via the apartments (won't be closed off etc as is public beach). That kind of beach access is hard to find. I think I'm going to go for whatever has the least weird layout, suck up the building which will go on a while, suck up the no views and enjoy the accessibility and low energy bills. Oh - 700e a year "management fee" yeah you get bins, but come on,it's paved around there, what's to manage???? And according to WW county council property tax about 900e. No stove/open fire due to energy rating (no chimney).

So, the 127 m2 semi which had a small patio as a garden and no possibility to extend, ever, and is totally overlooked by the la Touche redevelopment went sale agreed for 810k. This must be one of the best prices ever achieved in Greystones for that size/type of house. It was adjacent to the sea, but did not have sea views as per advertisement, trust me - I viewed twice. According to E.A. buyer "really, really wanted it". Wow.

Viewed 2 in Marina Village, and a 3rd coming up. The layout of all of them is odd. But, They are 12 minutes walk from Ladies Cove and 3 minutes walk from the beach which will be accessed via the apartments (won't be closed off etc as is public beach). That kind of beach access is hard to find. I think I'm going to go for whatever has the least weird layout, suck up the building which will go on a while, suck up the no views and enjoy the accessibility and low energy bills. Oh - 700e a year "management fee" yeah you get bins, but come on,it's paved around there, what's to manage???? And according to WW county council property tax about 900e. No stove/open fire due to energy rating (no chimney).

Seriously!? Wow! Were these the houses that were around the 500K mark four years ago??

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I live outside Greystones and whilst I would love a place right in town, the reality as antiskeptic says is that an ebike makes for easy access anywhere within 5km.

Greystones is already starting to suffer from traffic issues at times, and with so much development happening I think the future is a pedestrianised main street.

What's the budget and requirement? 800k and small? This has been on sale for ever...

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/coleman-house-killincarrig-manor-the-burnaby-greystones-co-wicklow/4284321

Always a risk though, when you don't own a lot of land round the site.

But if you just want to live near the sea, shop by foot at supervalu and centre yourself in the town itself, I can see the attraction of the Marina.

Lumen wrote: »
    I live outside Greystones and whilst I would love a place right in town, the reality as antiskeptic says is that an ebike makes for easy access anywhere within 5km.

Greystones is already starting to suffer from traffic issues at times, and with so much development happening I think the future is a pedestrianised main street.

What's the budget and requirement? 800k and small? This has been on sale for ever...

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/coleman-house-killincarrig-manor-the-burnaby-greystones-co-wicklow/4284321

Always a risk though, when you don't own a lot of land round the site.

But if you just want to live near the sea, shop by foot at supervalu and centre yourself in the town itself, I can see the attraction of the Marina.

Yes, smallish, but not tiny. The place I bid on that was 126m2 went for 810k which is in my view incredible. Agree location was good, but again - no view, overlooked and no room to extend if one ever wanted to. There is much better value available outside the town including the one you refer to, but I want to be as close to a swim as I am currently (4 minutes walk) and not use the car other than for work and the trek to Lidl....budget is nowhere near 800k!!! Which is why I didn't get the other house, but I could afford Marina Village. It's a bit soulless but that might rectify itself after a while.

The best place I ever lived was over a newsagent in the middle of a town centre snarled with traffic.

Soul is what you bring to it. They're just bricks and mortar!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,729 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Yes, smallish, but not tiny. The place I bid on that was 126m2 went for 810k which is in my view incredible. Agree location was good, but again - no view, overlooked and no room to extend if one ever wanted to. There is much better value available outside the town including the one you refer to, but I want to be as close to a swim as I am currently (4 minutes walk) and not use the car other than for work and the trek to Lidl....budget is nowhere near 800k!!! Which is why I didn't get the other house, but I could afford Marina Village. It's a bit soulless but that might rectify itself after a while.

still determined not to look at any of the older estates? They're all a short walk from the sea (5 mins on a bike from anywhere bar the top of Applewood). No service charges either.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/eden-vale-27-mountainview-park-greystones-co-wicklow/4229357

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/45-hillside-greystones-co-wicklow/4314245

loyatemu wrote: »
    still determined not to look at any of the older estates? They're all a short walk from the sea (5 mins on a bike from anywhere bar the top of Applewood). No service charges either.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/eden-vale-27-mountainview-park-greystones-co-wicklow/4229357

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/45-hillside-greystones-co-wicklow/4314245

Completely get the point - but it doesn't beat 3 minutes walk. Currently I don't even change on the beach after my swim - just wrap a towel round myself and walk across the road home to hit the shower. I know I sound a bit "who does she think she is", but you know how some people love their pint and love to be able to walk to the pub - I love my swim. Other thing is those estates are quite family oriented while the Marina Village is actually a slightly older group as a lot of downsizers went in. Mind you im still curious as to why so many are for sale......

Completely get the point - but it doesn't beat 3 minutes walk. Currently I don't even change on the beach after my swim - just wrap a towel round myself and walk across the road home to hit the shower. I know I sound a bit "who does she think she is", but you know how some people love their pint and love to be able to walk to the pub - I love my swim. Other thing is those estates are quite family oriented while the Marina Village is actually a slightly older group as a lot of downsizers went in. Mind you im still curious as to why so many are for sale......

Fair enough, if you want to live literally on the beach, then you have quite a restricted choice (BTW the manufactured beach beside MV might not be the best for swimming, it's very steep. Most sea swimmers go to the Cove or the South Beach).

Fair enough, if you want to live literally on the beach, then you have quite a restricted choice (BTW the manufactured beach beside MV might not be the best for swimming, it's very steep. Most sea swimmers go to the Cove or the South Beach).

Yeah I saw the plans for it, not great.... ladies cove is 12 minutes walk so grand....

I see there is a diving pedestal now just beyond the steps at the Ladies Cove.
    And the diving platform at the Gentleman's Bathing Area is totally silted up and useless, probably due largely to changes in the currents brought about by said Marina Village and piers.
    But luckily the ladies these days don't mind sharing their cove with men :)

• Advertisement

And the diving platform at the Gentleman's Bathing Area is totally silted up and useless, probably due largely to changes in the currents brought about by said Marina Village and piers.

"Ladies" Cove is a recent affectation - I don't recall anyone calling it that when I was younger, it was always just "The Cove"

"Ladies" Cove is a recent affectation - I don't recall anyone calling it that when I was younger, it was always just "The Cove"

Affectation and Greystones aren't exactly strangers to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Affectation and Greystones aren't exactly strangers to each other.

Go on, elaborate...

Go on, elaborate...
    antiskeptic lives on a hill. That makes it literally impossible not to look down on Greystones.

Lumen wrote: »
    antiskeptic lives on a hill. That makes it literally impossible not to look down on Greystones.

:)

Go on, elaborate...

From the Greystones Guide

"Then again, after gossip and resentment, coffee is pretty much Greystones’ no.1 industry."

Greystones (when I first encountered it 20 odd years ago) was a proper village. Yes, estates had gone up around but you had a sense of village with the shops "designed" to serve local needs.

The attraction of the place was it's slight sleepiness and the country amenity around. That attraction brought in the droves when everything in Dublin priced folk out. It's round II of that.

The sleepiness has gone. They've paved paradise and put up a parking lot. On what was the harbour. And tacked all sorts of harbour references on anything within rocket lauch distance from it.

Coffee shops, expensive eateries, the poncie "Happy Pear" with queues round the block to pay top prices for average food. Heck, it's even got a Donnybrook fair.

Everything that Dalkey has become. Just further along the DART track.

De Cove and De Mens are just the shortened versions of de names.

Coffee shops, expensive eateries, the poncie "Happy Pear" with queues round the block to pay top prices for average food. Heck, it's even got a Donnybrook fair.

People slag Vegward, and rightly so, the twats, but the food in the Happy Pear is tasty enough and they have a good amount of capacity in there, unless other places I prefer to eat like the Three Qs and the Firehouse.

When you look at the dismal offerings of other places in Wicklow, like Enniskerry for instance which has massive potential but where one of the cafes has recently shut down, and the other two are mediocre at best, I don't really see the problem.

Greystones has the Dart, it ought to be busy. I'd rather people were hopping off the Dart from wherever, than clogging up the place with more cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

From the Greystones Guide

"Then again, after gossip and resentment, coffee is pretty much Greystones’ no.1 industry."

Greystones (when I first encountered it 20 odd years ago) was a proper village. Yes, estates had gone up around but you had a sense of village with the shops "designed" to serve local needs.

The attraction of the place was it's slight sleepiness and the country amenity around. That attraction brought in the droves when everything in Dublin priced folk out. It's round II of that.

The sleepiness has gone. They've paved paradise and put up a parking lot. On what was the harbour. And tacked all sorts of harbour references on anything within rocket lauch distance from it.

You really seem to have a major issue with Greystones?

• Advertisement

I can understand long time locals upset with the opening of Greystones to the Great Unwashed. I get it. I'm from a similar village in North Dublin which is overpriced, overcrowded and up it's own bum. It was a simple and lovely place. And then, enter the Dart.......

But this happens everywhere. We see something wonderful in where we live - others want a piece of the same pie.

I sat outside spendloves sipping a flat-white (god I hate myself...) and felt like I was on holiday. And this is what the agents try to sell you - "lifestyle". I want a piece of the same pie....

Advertisement