Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit fallout

• 22-03-2019 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Over the last ten years or so I have managed to accumulate five classic cars in various states of disrepair. One of them is completely restored and runs perfectly and I use it regularly when the sun shines. The other four are in various bits & pieces, one is stored in a shed in work, two are in my mothers garage, and I have one at home (plus the runner). The one that is restored is on ZV plates, all the others are still on UK plates. I’m retiring in 18 months’ time and my intention was always to restore them one at a time when I would then have the time on my hands. I know the best laid plans can go down the toilet and all that, and it’s likely there’s two I’ll never get to, so I could sell them when the time comes, but the others I want to do. I knew I wouldn’t be able to restore them until I retired , but they all came up at the right money, so I pounced on them at the time.
    The problem is that I was hoping to restore them and then register them here, using the , eh. , usual , eh., up-to-date paperwork. I can’t trailer them to the VRT place now as they are non-runners and can’t be registered unless they’re running as far as I understand it, so my question is, what will the position be when Brexit hits, in whatever form and whenever?? If I restore one and present it, will there be VAT & import duty to pay? If I can prove I brought one in from the UK say, five years ago, will they use the old system but charge me the back-dated VRT but no VAT? Are there any official guidelines for my situation? There must be plenty more like me out there with motors in many pieces on the garage floor and still on UK & NI plates.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

so my question is, what will the position be when Brexit hits, in whatever form and whenever??

The position is as yet to be decided and fluid. Therefore we don't know what the future will bring.

We know the position before Brexit. VRT at whatever it is and possibly an opportunity for the Revenue to cash in on some back tax at 0.01% a day or whatever it is.

Worst case scenario would be like importing a vehicle from any other "third country". That is Duty + VAT + VRT.

Other possible outcomes will fall between the two extremes.

Advertisement