Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

site_owner wrote: »
    It absolutely has been edited to leave it open to interpretation, cutting out the green cyclist light, the stopped cars, the 3 that probably ran the amber/red, the cyclists on the other side who went on green too and then playing it in weird low-res/low frame rate slowmo

3 vehicles broke the light and the truck was a long time behind. Cyclists saved by the braking technology.

The comments on that daily mail link. Jaysus :eek: some people have some serious issues out there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Moflojo wrote: »
    Has the video been cropped to intentionally create ambiguity? The black SUV on the left stopped a few seconds before the cyclists moved off. The white van and car probably broke a fresh red light. The truck driver has blown through a full red there for sure. The driver should be tracked down, charged with dangerous driving, and his license should be suspended for a long time.

Also looks to me like he was travelling faster than the cars that went through before, like he was accelerating to get through before the light was "too red" if you know what i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

Mondays are always the worst. Whether it's hangovers or what, I don't know. One crazy manouver I saw today was a parent and two small children on scooters crossing the road at a junction where there was no pedestrian lights. They were about a third of the way across and a car turning right, which by law (never mind basic courtesy) should have stopped to let them cross, just kept going.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Had 2 heros zip past me, too fast and too close coming into Baldoyle village (after the roundabout before the church) this morning. Naturally the lights at the church were red so they were running to a standstill.

All I could do then was ensure I held the lane safely upto the cyclelane much to their annoyance. Effin clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Type 17 wrote: »
    Actually, credit to the frankly brilliant emergency stop technology that is fitted to modern tractor units these days - here's a now-famous incident from Norway.

I'd imagine that the video above would not be fit for public viewing (and would be Police evidence) if the truck driver was driving something older.

That video is just scary, how silly kids are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Seen a guy coming up the N11 on the far cycle lane. He must have thought that all the lights were red, anyway, spins on through, not a care in the world. Anyone knowing the lights know that the junction he is crossing is about to go green (and does so before he is even on it). Thankfully everyone was being nice for a change but talk about bloody oblivious. He stops on the far side to use the pedestrian crossing and doesn't even notice all the traffic that was waiting for him to cross. One of the reasons I am against a yield on red rule, some people are just to f*£king stupid to be let out on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

That video is just scary, how silly kids are.

Hey, let's create an environment that is fundamentally dangerous, in the name of "progress", and let's also condition society to blame the most vulnerable people for not interacting safely with the death machines that we have incorporated into their daily lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Hey, let's create an environment that is fundamentally dangerous, in the name of "progress", and let's also condition society to blame the most vulnerable people for not interacting safely with the death machines that we have incorporated into their daily lives.

To be fair that video does look like the kids are being stupid, they run blindly out from behind their bus, all the other kids go down the grass verge. Some of the kids who tried to cross the road double back and go that way after the truck stops, I would guess that perhaps there's a pedestrian tunnel that leads them under the road. I certainly don't agree with victim blaming and the truck looks to be moving at a fair pace but if he's going within the speed limit and there's not supposed to be pedestrians crossing the road there you could hardly say he's at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    To be fair that video does look like the kids are being stupid, they run blindly out from behind their bus, all the other kids go down the grass verge. Some of the kids who tried to cross the road double back and go that way after the truck stops, I would guess that perhaps there's a pedestrian tunnel that leads them under the road. I certainly don't agree with victim blaming and the truck looks to be moving at a fair pace but if he's going within the speed limit and there's not supposed to be pedestrians crossing the road there you could hardly say he's at fault.

There is a strong argument that the driver should have anticipated passengers alighting from the bus.

In the US for example, all traffic in both directions is supposed to stop when a school bus is stopping to collect or drop off children. This is specifically to minimise the risk for children crossing the road to get on or off the bus.

We have been conditioned, in less than a century, to accept high speed motor traffic as the absolute norm on our roads and as a result we frequently see comments, like the one from average runner, which thoughtlessly blame the most vulnerable people without questioning if the fundamentally dangerous environment really needs to be that way in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

There is a strong argument that the driver should have anticipated passengers alighting from the bus.

In the US for example, all traffic in both directions is supposed to stop when a school bus is stopping to collect or drop off children. This is specifically to minimise the risk for children crossing the road to get on or off the bus.

We have been conditioned, in less than a century, to accept high speed motor traffic as the absolute norm on our roads and as a result we frequently see comments, like the one from average runner, which thoughtlessly blame the most vulnerable people without questioning if the fundamentally dangerous environment really needs to be that way in the first place.

Yeah I did think the truck should have been going slower as that would be common sense but as I know nothing of the road laws in Norway, nor the layout of the road for both traffic & pedestrians so it's hard to blame the truck, you can only really commend the quick reactions of the driver & the braking technology which prevented a catastrophic incident. The only party clearly in the wrong are the kids running blindly into the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Danjamin1 wrote: »

Come on now - they are young kids - they look under 10. That is perfectly within the realms of how you might expect an 8 or 9 year old to behave. If a reindeer ran out on the road, would you be saying 'well the deer was clearly the party in the wrong here'.....

Of course it would be stupid if adults did it. But they are not adults, and to state the obvious you cant judge them by what would be expected of an adult, you judge them by what would be expected of an 8 year old, and that is certainly within what should be expected from 8 year olds. Some 8-10 year olds will be sensible, some wont.

I had a similar thing last year walking back from Croke Park along Clonliffe Road; closed to traffic and the kids were playing tag as we walked along. Crossed the busy junction at Drumcondra Road and then walking along Iona Road - one of the kids suddenly started the tag game again, the other kid sprinted out on the road to be avoid being tagged. Thats what kids do!!

Absolutely no way should they be getting off there, unsupervised.

As a corrolary in Dublin, and of relevance to the discussion, one thing that really alarms me is the amount of young teenagers I see cycling. The roads are not fit for purpose for children to cycle on them. You cant assume a 13 year old will know the rules of the road or will be able to look out for danger, especially when they are going around in groups of 3 or 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    As a corrolary in Dublin, and of relevance to the discussion, one thing that really alarms me is the amount of young teenagers I see cycling. The roads are not fit for purpose for children to cycle on them. You cant assume a 13 year old will know the rules of the road or will be able to look out for danger, especially when they are going around in groups of 3 or 4.

Completely disagree with this - we need more young kids cycling.

You're right, you can't assume a 13 year old will know the rules of the road, that's a big part of the reason grown, competent adults are tested and licensed to be allowed to drive on the road; they have the responsibility to be aware of the dangers to vulnerable road users. The more vulnerable road users there are on the roads the more drivers will be forced to accept their responsibility to drive safely.

A 13 year old is perfectly entitled to use the road, a driver of a 2 tonne car is only "licenced" to use it. We need to start attributing responsibility for road safety to those actually responsible for the danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

benjamin d wrote: »
    Completely disagree with this - we need more young kids cycling.

You're right, you can't assume a 13 year old will know the rules of the road, that's a big part of the reason grown, competent adults are tested and licensed to be allowed to drive on the road; they have the responsibility to be aware of the dangers to vulnerable road users. The more vulnerable road users are on the roads the more drivers will be forced to accept their responsibility to drive safely.

A 13 year old is perfectly entitled to use the road, a driver of a 2 tonne car is only "licenced" to use it. We need to start attributing responsibility for road safety to those actually responsible for the danger.

Hang on - at what point did I say we dont need more kids cycling? I never said that so I dont know why are disagreeing with something I didnt say.

What I did say is that Irish roads are not safe for young teenagers to cycle on.

Its all well and good to say, well its up to drivers to drive safely and give them extra due care and attention.

Nice sentiment, but it wont happen.

Look at the video that was just posted, and the response - the kids were being stupid. And thats coming from people who are cyclists......

My message to any 12 year old out there would be - if you are going to cycle, then stay on the footpath. If its a housing estate fine, but do you really want a 12 or 13 year old - if it was your kid - cycling along any of the main roads between Dublin City centre and its suburbs? Or along busy country roads with no bike lane?

Incidentally, what would change my mind on this is if speed limits were drastically reduced - for example roads like Drumcondra Road - I think it should be no more that 30km per hour.

Hang on - at what point did I say we dont need more kids cycling? I never said that so I dont know why are disagreeing with something I didnt say.

What I did say is that Irish roads are not safe for young teenagers to cycle on.

Its all well and good to say, well its up to drivers to drive safely and give them extra due care and attention.

Nice sentiment, but it wont happen.

Look at the video that was just posted, and the response - the kids were being stupid. And thats coming from people who are cyclists......

My message to any 12 year old out there would be - if you are going to cycle, then stay on the footpath. If its a housing estate fine, but do you really want a 12 or 13 year old - if it was your kid - cycling along any of the main roads between Dublin City centre and its suburbs? Or along busy country roads with no bike lane?

Incidentally, what would change my mind on this is if speed limits were drastically reduced - for example roads like Drumcondra Road - I think it should be no more that 30km per hour.

Yes, kids are stupid, and lots of adults are too. It's the way people are. The responsibility to be aware of this should be on the people hurtling around in huge metal boxes.
    Cyclists should be on the road, not the footpath. Drivers should be acutely aware of other road users at all times.
    Cycling is safe on the whole, and is much more beneficial to kids than being ferried around in an SUV all the time. So yes, I would want my kids cycling as the norm. I also want drivers to be aware that they are the danger and responsible for keeping those kids safe. Yes, speed limits within town/city boundaries should be 30km/h

Yes, kids are stupid, and lots of adults are too. It's the way people are. The responsibility to be aware of this should be on the people hurtling around in huge metal boxes.
    Cyclists should be on the road, not the footpath. Drivers should be acutely aware of other road users at all times.
    Cycling is safe on the whole, and is much more beneficial to kids than being ferried around in an SUV all the time. So yes, I would want my kids cycling as the norm. I also want drivers to be aware that they are the danger and responsible for keeping those kids safe. Yes, speed limits within town/city boundaries should be 30km/h

Actually I blame the bus driver, council(whatever the authority is here) and the parents also. Surely the bus driver should only open the door when it's safe on both sides of the road, or is the stop in an unsafe location? Surely the council should have a safe crossing there if its an official bus stop?

Parents should be teaching the kids the rules of the road also. Kids will be kids but it seems an unsafe location in fairness.

Just blaming the truck driver is a cop out.

Actually I blame the bus driver, council(whatever the authority is here) and the parents also. Surely the bus driver should only open the door when it's safe on both sides of the road, or is the stop in an unsafe location? Surely the council should have a safe crossing there if its an official bus stop?

Parents should be teaching the kids the rules of the road also. Kids will be kids but it seems an unsafe location in fairness.

Just blaming the truck driver is a cop out.

I wasn't referring to the truck incident at all in my posts, but the general comment that kids shouldn't be on the road. I agree with you that the bus stop shouldn't be there or at least should be better designed in that case.

I wasn't referring to the truck incident at all in my posts, but the general comment that kids shouldn't be on the road. I agree with you that the bus stop shouldn't be there or at least should be better designed in that case.

I wasn't actually directing it at you, i just hit reply.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why are the roads not fit for purpose for kids/teenagers to cycle on them?
    Is it their cycling abilities or is it because of other road users?

Should we ban all non-car traffic for safety reasons because car traffic is too dangerous as a result of poor compliance and enforcement of the road traffic acts?

The roads are perfectly suitable for kids to cycle on, in fact my experience has been that children and teenagers seem to have a good bit more cop than older cyclists and motorists.

CramCycle wrote: »
    The roads are perfectly suitable for kids to cycle on, in fact my experience has been that children and teenagers seem to have a good bit more cop than older cyclists and motorists.

Problem is that kids pick up these bad habits from older cyclists and motorists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Problem is that drivers pick up these bad habits, surely?

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Problem is that drivers pick up these bad habits, surely?

Cyclists don't have bad habits ?

Cyclists don't have bad habits ?
    Of course some do, as do some drivers, the real danger to young cyclists though surely is heavily skewed towards one group than the other.

My own experience with children has been if they are taught correctly, they are more likely to correct an adult rather than copy them.

Of course some do, as do some drivers, the real danger to young cyclists though surely is heavily skewed towards one group than the other.

My own experience with children has been if they are taught correctly, they are more likely to correct an adult rather than copy them.

It was just the previous post directed at motorists.

I totally agree if kids are thought correctly but the problem is, they are getting thought by alot of parents that don't respect the rules!

In Lucan last Wednesday night, driving down a road that is quiet dark, adult on his bike on the road going against traffic with no lights and in dark clothes. Right behind him was the kid doing the same thing!!!!!!!!! Its so annoying seeing things like that!. There was a footpath if they wanted to use it!

Motorists are as bad as are other users, ie walkers and runners!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

It's true, the world is full of stupid people. Very irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

better take the lane so no one tries to squeeze past me with the cars turning right up ahead. the lane is empty behind me so they'll use all that lovely space, right??

"professional driver" - not seen on camera, the middle finger in the side mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Seen a guy coming up the N11 on the far cycle lane. He must have thought that all the lights were red, anyway, spins on through, not a care in the world. Anyone knowing the lights know that the junction he is crossing is about to go green (and does so before he is even on it). Thankfully everyone was being nice for a change but talk about bloody oblivious. He stops on the far side to use the pedestrian crossing and doesn't even notice all the traffic that was waiting for him to cross. One of the reasons I am against a yield on red rule, some people are just to f*£king stupid to be let out on their own.

Would a yield on red rule not make the stupid people safer in this case? i.e. increase the number of situations drivers are to assume pedestrians etc. (beyond the obvious "everywhere")

Would a yield on red rule not make the stupid people safer in this case? i.e. increase the number of situations drivers are to assume pedestrians etc. (beyond the obvious "everywhere")

Stupid people will always find another way to be stupid, you can't prevent it and shouldn't wrap the world up in cotton wool for stupid people.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Well that's a ridiculous attitude.
    Better infrastructure equals better outcomes in every city worldwide.

• Advertisement

The problem is though that several people feel they are safe going through reds as it is (and they are often wrong), this would effectively be giving them permission to do so. Until proper infrastructure is in place to deal with such a measure, then no. Put up red light cameras and looping CCTV on every red light, then I'd think it was an OK idea.

I think we are a nation of cheeky sh1ts and your just inviting people to behave worse. Maybe when people start following the rules all the time, options like this can be put on the table but at the minute, I think it is a non runner.

I also don't see the issue with just stopping, it adds very little onto most journeys, % wise maybe alot on short journeys but time wise, not really (in my opinion).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement