Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parks Family of Stranorlar - Help needed!

• 05-04-2015 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for help in tracking down some of my long lost relatives who were still present in Stranorlar in the 1950s. Some of them would have been quite well known as they worked on the railway. Robert who was 12 back at the time of the 1911 census was my grandfather but I have no information of what became of his siblings or their descendants. Thanks in advance for any information. :)
    Parks%2Bfamily%2Bin%2BStranorlar.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭210

I wonder as this seems a pretty unusual name if there would be many people with this surname currently around Stranorlar /Ballyofey. I wonder if you could identify some current Parks in the area (Possibly even in the same townland) if you might be able to spark a bit of interest that might turn up a link. Anyone out there with a current phone book ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Meant to reply to this earlier. Yes, there was a Ross Parks who lived on Main St., Stranorlar.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Chances are someone at the railway museum in Donegal town could help. Give them a shout @ http://www.donegalrailway.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There are Parks living in Convoy (10km from Ballybofey/Stranorlar)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RooMcGoo

...but I have no information of what became of his siblings or their descendants.

Hi there! My Grandad was William Parks Jr - happy to fill you in on our family. He had six children and I’m daughter of their fourth daughter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 romanoffmaine

I am a a great grandson of William Parks from Balleybofey-Stranorlrar who immigrated to the USA (Portland, Maine) in the 1860's. Does anyone have any information about his relatives in Balleybofey-Stranorlar still around today? Many thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

You could try contacting the Finn Valley Voice http://www.finnvalleyvoice.com/
    They have a good circulation in the area and frequently publish articles on local history so some of their readers who aren't online might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 romanoffmaine

RooMcGoo wrote: »
    ...but I have no information of what became of his siblings or their descendants.

Hi there! My Grandad was William Parks Jr - happy to fill you in on our family. He had six children and I’m daughter of their fourth daughter!
    William James Parks (born 1825, d. 1879) was born in Co. Donegal, came to New York in 1847, then to Portland, ME. He married Catherine Cunningham. It is believed that he was born and lived near Ballybofey. Any idea if there are still Parkes in Ballybofey-Stranorlar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Have you tried irishgenealogy.ie ?

You might get some information there from the records there which might help you.

Happy researching!!!

Advertisement