Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Missing" Person since 1982.

• 22-03-2019 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Posting here in case anyone has any advice or tips.

I'm trying to find out the place and date of the death of a friends father.

He was born in 1919 and went to Liverpool in the 1950's.

The last contact was with his family was in 1982 when he would have been 63.

Anyway the years slipped by and he was never heard from again. We presume he may have died in 1982.

I have contacted UK Pensions office etc and just cant get any information from them due to Confidentiality etc. I've requested from them, person or Dept to whom I should write, but haven't heard anything back.

I'm currently trying to locate Care Homes and RC Churches close to where here lived to see if they have any records, in care or burial.

We tried a search with the Salavation Army but that drew a blank. It may well have been that he used a different name and DOB for Social Welfare/Pensions etc.

The Police were very helpful but their records dont go back to 1982 and he would have had to have broken the law to be known to them. So a blank there also.

His son just wants to put his mind at rest to know how, when and where he died and to erect a headstone, if there is a burial place.

Any experiences or suggestions where to look?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Extremely slight chance he could be still alive.

Have you tried checking with banks for dormant accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Thanks OU812, banks is something I hadn't thought of. I doubt he had an account, but it's def worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

If you know the area he lived in & there's any old pubs/newsagents around, they're worth a visit & there's most likely someone still around who remember him.

Pubs for drinking buddies or landlord & newsagents for smokers, might have had a tab there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭gipi

This site any use?

https://www.archives.com/uk/

Thanks OU812. Indeed I've established contact with a Facebook group in Liverpool I'm trying to get the names of pubs and the like that would have been there in the late 70"s, early 80's. He would have used pubs very often.

Is there a database of death records in the UK that I can access? I presumed that the Salvation Army would have carried that search out. But to be fair to them, he may have used another spelling of his name for state benefits etc. His surname was quite unusual and he shortened it slightly as people always misspelled it.

• Advertisement

gipi wrote: »

Definitely. Many thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Indexes of deaths on www.freebmd.org.uk only go up to 1983.

The UK GRO would have a death registration but your problem here is that you won't necessarily know it's the right person.

Your friend may need to contact the Home Office etc themselves.

There is also the electoral register - current & historic up to relatively recently on www.findmypast.co.uk

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks PinkyPinky. Very helpful.

The BMD website might have possibly given a real clue to the reason for the "disappearance".

I have found only one exact name match, but in a different County. The person was last known to be in Liverpool where he had relations, still living, none of whom know what happened to him.

The exact name match and year he went missing records a death in Croydon, so possibly he went to Croydon, to visit people, or he moved there and died there. It's a possibility but would also explain a lot.

Many thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You can order certs from the GRO website using the index reference from the other site.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Excellent! Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I've used this site before. Worth a shot.

https://m.192.com

Advertisement