Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bobby Sands - see Mod Note in OP.

• 05-05-2020 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭

Start of our darkest period in modern Irish history, 5/5/81
    Bobby Sands
    I was living in Derry at the time, attended Kevin Lynch's and Patsy O'Hara's funerals etc,
    awful awful awful time

Mod Note:
    As per History charter, any posts that are derogatory to other posters are contra-forum rules. Please keep on topic and interact in a civil manner, especially with those of different viewpoints.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Bobby Sands
    I was living in Derry at the time, attended Kevin Lynch's and Patsy O'Hara's funerals etc,
    awful awful awful time

Why did you attend their funerals? Did you know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This is Ireland, Bill. You don't have to know someobody to attend their funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

BloodyBill wrote: »

I was living there and as a committed republican at the time showed my respects to those who made the ultimate sacrifice,
    And yes I was a neighbour of one,and a family friend of another, that really doesn't matter either way, you're just being a gombeen man, I shouldn't really answer someone who's just being ignorant and looking for a reaction ( Troll)
    As an ordinary Irishman living amongst the carnange of the 6 counties at the time I was showing my respect for all concerned by attending end of, won't reply again.

A rare photo of bobby sands was shared recently of his time between prison sentenaces

Is it true the brits,couldnt find a pic of him not smiling/happy for propaganda purposes??
    (Or is that just a myth)

Peregrinus wrote: »
    This is Ireland, Bill. You don't have to know someobody to attend their funeral.

This explains a lot,one of his posts I copied and pasted,

Where does it all stop. I think it's a terrible idea to commemorate. The Kilmichael ambush is on the back and that was a piece of carnage that is still fought over by historians today. Theres Protestants in west Cork with a completely different set of memories and beliefs to the Republican ones. Are we going to commemorate their missing family members from 1920to23

• Advertisement

A rare photo of bobby sands was shared recently of his time between prison sentenaces

Is it true the brits,couldnt find a pic of him not smiling/happy for propaganda purposes??
    (Or is that just a myth)

Don't honestly know TBH, having spent 20 yrs in Derry as a republican it wouldn't surprise me

BloodyBill wrote: »

Read some of your previous posts,you're anti republican very biased ,anti Crosbarry/ kilmichael/ 1981hunher strike commerations , embarrassed by your Irish roots living in Devon?
    Those who died/ served their time for Irish freedom deserve to be remembered despite shauneens like yourself,
    Kilmichael etc happened and you reap the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

Had one or two of his poetry books, I think he wrote them in cigarette paper and they were able to smuggle it out

Very dark and very depressing but no surprise

Most southerners have no idea nor knowledge of life up north in the Troubles, it might has well have been in China

But, honestly speaking I don't care.

The Hunger Strikers should be remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Where does it all stop. I think it's a terrible idea to commemorate. The Kilmichael ambush is on the back and that was a piece of carnage that is still fought over by historians today. Theres Protestants in west Cork with a completely different set of memories and beliefs to the Republican ones. Are we going to commemorate their missing family members from 1920to23
    Commemorating does not equal celebrating. All people's stories and perspectives should be captured and respected. Yes the ambushes were murderous bloodbaths, as were the atrocities inflicted by the tans/auxiliaries. The stories of the protestant communities in West Cork and other places have been largely forgotten but all the more reason for people to talk about what happened and raise more questions. Nothing is achieved by trying to forget these things happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I for one will commemorate the Kilmichael ambush on 28/11/2020. The Tans got what they deserved.

• Advertisement

I for one will commemorate the Kilmichael ambush on 28/11/2020. The Tans got what they deserved.

Same as,my grandfather spent his time in Brixton same time as Mcswiney I'm proud not ashamed of mine,our heritage,yes of course atrocities were committed by all sides , but you can't dig a ditch without getting the shovel dirty, dirty-jobs had to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'm very proud of my heritage but credit where it's due you have to hand it to the Rangers fans for the chant they would sing at the Old Firm games at the time.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Should this not be in the Terrorism forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Never!

(all we want is dialogue).

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Define terrorist- Michael Collins- Che-Tom Barry-
    Raf Bomber Harris
    Franco
    Eamonn De Valera. Etc rtc

I'm very proud of my heritage but credit where it's due you have to hand it to the Rangers fans for the chant they would sing at the Old Firm games at the time.

I respect all war dead be in Irish republican or British war dead,
    But what I can't understand is Irishmen ( plastic paddies mostly) who are ashamed of how we became what we are,it wasn't around a table in Dublin castle, but in ditches and country roads, street corners awaiting the enemy from Cork to Donegal and Dublin to Galway

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Read some of your previous posts,you're anti republican very biased ,anti Crosbarry/ kilmichael/ 1981hunher strike commerations , embarrassed by your Irish roots living in Devon?
    Those who died/ served their time for Irish freedom deserve to be remembered despite shauneens like yourself,

The likes of Bobby Sands had no mandate to kill anyone and should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as the men and women of the war of independence. And before you ask, I am a Republic, one that respects the decisions of the Irish people and one that signed up in 1981 to defend the Irish State against terrorists.

You brainwashed brand of republicanism is not the only flavour in town.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    The likes of Bobby Sands had no mandate to kill anyone and should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as the men and women of the war of independence. And before you ask, I am a Republic, one that respects the decisions of the Irish people and one that signed up in 1981 to defend the Irish State against terrorists.

You brainwashed brand of republicanism is not the only flavour in town.

After 50 years of being treated like third class citizens NoI Catholics asked for equal rights. The British backed Protestant / Loyalist RUC attacked this peaceful request for rights.

No human being with any dignity would stand back and let this happen.

Meanwhile, the 26 counties stood by and watched.

So, before we start branding people let's get some context first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

In the context of British oppression, contemporary and historic, it's difficult to imagine how the War of Independence could have been fought by the IRA with any more restraint and decency than it was. Just compare it with similar national liberation struggles in history and their all-too-common atrocities.

In the same vein the restraint shown by the nascent Irish State in overturning the old economic and social order and the enormous privileges of the Anglo-Irish ascendency was remarkable, so much so that many Republicans felt betrayed and saw it as little more than changing the colour of the post boxes from red to green. Again compare this to other post-colonial states and their (often disastrous) appropriations of property and wealth to amend the vast inequalities remaining from colonialism. It's sad that despite this a small but vocal group of hypocrites are given platforms to slander the founders of this state as vengeful sectarians.

The British public, to their credit, also had an aversion to the repressive methods employed in their name in Ireland. For instance Churchill's opponents in subsequent elections raised his responsibility for the Black and Tans to erode his support and in response his wife circulated pamphlets crediting him for the Anglo-Irish Treaty. This was when he was campaigning as a Conservative candidate for an English electorate.

I think a lot of people particularly down here miss the significance of historical events in the rise of Republicanism on the island

1916 was the result of the Fenians who in turn were greatly influenced by the The Great Hunger ( a man made event by London)

70s Republicanism in the NoI was a result of partition ( again a man made event by London)

I'm not blaming sides on what has happened here but trying to connect dots to understand people's actions

We have a shared history regardless of flag colour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

AH - It certainly doesn't belong in here.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    In the context of British oppression, contemporary and historic, it's difficult to imagine how the War of Independence could have been fought by the IRA with any more restraint and decency than it was. Just compare it with similar national liberation struggles in history and their all-too-common atrocities.

In the same vein the restraint shown by the nascent Irish State in overturning the old economic and social order and the enormous privileges of the Anglo-Irish ascendency was remarkable, so much so that many Republicans felt betrayed and saw it as little more than changing the colour of the post boxes from red to green. Again compare this to other post-colonial states and their (often disastrous) appropriations of property and wealth to amend the vast inequalities remaining from colonialism. It's sad that despite this a small but vocal group of hypocrites are given platforms to slander the founders of this state as vengeful sectarians.

The British public, to their credit, also had an aversion to the repressive methods employed in their name in Ireland. For instance Churchill's opponents in subsequent elections raised his responsibility for the Black and Tans to erode his support and in response his wife circulated pamphlets crediting him for the Anglo-Irish Treaty. This was when he was campaigning as a Conservative candidate for an English electorate.

Great post

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I Think your looking for the phrase that starts with west and ends with brit..:D

antgal23 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people particularly down here miss the significance of historical events in the rise of Republicanism on the island

1916 was the result of the Fenians who in turn were greatly influenced by the The Great Hunger ( a man made event by London)

70s Republicanism in the NoI was a result of partition ( again a man made event by London)

I'm not blaming sides on what has happened here but trying to connect dots to understand people's actions

We have a shared history regardless of flag colour

My best friend in Cork is C of
    Ireland
    Without dissenters/ Presbyterians we'd have had no 1798 rebellion, (maybe no fenians who knows)
    My youngest is called after Kevin Barry, Bobby ( Sands) and Francis ( Hughes,)
    A name i hope will always remind him and those who meet and greet him remember who he's called after.
    Hes Kevin Barry Bobby Francis D***"*
    So it's not a Catholic v Protestant thing at all but the writing is on the wall reference UI, it's coming

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Little known fact, Bobby Sands wrote back home in Derry.

It makes me proud we had men like him to stand against British Imperialism.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

I recently saw a video of his granddaughter singing in a pub. How time flies that he would have been a grandparent at this stage. Is an interesting documentary about him prior to the troubles and the soccer team he played on which had a mixture of Catholics and Protestants. When the troubles came there was an inevitable split

That doc is on YouTube and is called old scores

I recently saw a video of his granddaughter singing in a pub. How time flies that he would have been a grandparent at this stage. Is an interesting documentary about him prior to the troubles and the soccer team he played on which had a mixture of Catholics and Protestants. When the troubles came there was an inevitable split

That doc is on YouTube and is called old scores

Saw that she sang "Grace" if I remember correctly
    I never met a Protestant from Derry until I started travelling to Romania in the 90s there we worked in orphanages/ aids clinics etc drank and ate together, good for both sides of the divide, until then the only Protestant id met were cops raiding, or screws whilst visiting tbe H blocks, and Maghaberry prison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Class of 82

not yet wrote: »
    Little known fact, Bobby Sands wrote back home in Derry.

It makes me proud we had men like him to stand against British Imperialism.

I thought that was a well known fact. Anyone who is a fan of Christy would/should know where the song came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Bobby Sands
    awful awful awful time

I worked with Kevin Lynch's nephew for years. I'm from the north with a protestant father and catholic mother. No religion in our house.
    He took a fair while to warm to me but we became great pals. He would have given me the shirt from his back. We never discussed politics (I've no interest) but we had loads of shared interests.

Hopefully the peace becomes stronger in the north and the youth will drive the hatred away for ever.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    I worked with Kevin Lynch's nephew for years. I'm from the north with a protestant father and catholic mother. No religion in our house.
    He took a fair while to warm to me but we became great pals. He would have given me the shirt from his back. We never discussed politics (I've no interest) but we had loads of shared interests.

Hopefully the peace becomes stronger in the north and the youth will drive the hatred away for ever.

Any normal person be they orange or green background just don't care, it was relevant in the past but thank God it's nearly gone,
    You're a Dungiven man I take it? Sur, went to Romania with a few lads and one lady from there ( they've a pub in the town)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement