Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Luke Kelly statue vandalised

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

What do people expect?

The native population can't help themselves. Of course it is going to get destroyed.

Now, if they wanted to reduce crime in the city (and the welfare bill), they could deploy snipers in the vicinity and use the statue as bait. Basically one big mouse trap for scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If they want to reduce crime and the corporate welfare bill, set up snipers outside the HQs of banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

imagine what they would do to a statue of someone like Bono, if they can do that to one of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Outrageous!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

People from places like Sherrif Street, Ballymun, Ballyfermot love to go on about how ‘salt of the earth’ they are, and how much pride they have in their communities. The reality is they don’t give a shïte about anyone only themselves, and let their packs of semi-feral kids roam about all night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The entire area should be crop dusted with aersolised contraceptives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I've spent a fair bit around that area of late, well up until covid, and they really are a breed unto themselves. Litter everywhere, roaring and shouting constantly, open drug dealing... My partner's flat looks onto the Sheriff St estate and there have been street parties since the restrictions, constant gangs of kids going around, everything just going on as normal.
    I don't care if it's snobbish or unfair but they should not be given social housing in the city centre if it's at the determent of the lives of normal people in the area. That whole estate should be leveled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/statue-of-singer-luke-kelly-may-be-moved-from-dublins-docklands-after-it-was-vandalised-for-fourth-time-39141086.html

“This isn’t people from Sheriff Street that are doing this. You should be completely ashamed of yourselves,” said Anthony Flynn of Inner City Helping Homeless.

Who are these sinister elements traveling to Sheriff Street during a pandemic lockdown with the sole intention of drawing glasses on the Luke Kelly Statue?
    Trinity Students, Kerry GAA Ultras smarting at their persistent All-Ireland defeats, the Alt-Right?

Mr Flynn of course is the man who presented Margaret Cash to the nation as a homeless Martyr so you can trust his words as the absolute truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The entire area should be crop dusted with aersolised contraceptives.

Nothing a good dose of napalm and Agent Orange wouldn't sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

The monument’s goofy as hell, it’s literally crying out to be defaced don’t act like it wouldn’t happen around yours ways. I know if they put one similar of Phil Lynott or Conor mac G in the local parks somebody would have their fun with it. And that’s all that matters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Nothing a good dose of napalm and Agent Orange wouldn't sort.
    Even a place like that has maybe 5% ****heads. Most people don't cause trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭selectamatic

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/statue-of-singer-luke-kelly-may-be-moved-from-dublins-docklands-after-it-was-vandalised-for-fourth-time-39141086.html

“This isn’t people from Sheriff Street that are doing this. You should be completely ashamed of yourselves,” said Anthony Flynn of Inner City Helping Homeless.

Who are these sinister elements traveling to Sheriff Street during a pandemic lockdown with the sole intention of drawing glasses on the Luke Kelly Statue?
    Trinity Students, Kerry GAA Ultras smarting at their persistent All-Ireland defeats, the Alt-Right?

The Amish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Very sad to see the blatant disrespect to such an Irish icon. It's a sad reflection of our society that some people have such a lack of respect. Ultimately the sanctions for anti social behaviour in Ireland are not sufficient to provide an incentive for people to show respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

kravmaga wrote: »
    And guess what folks the street art piece/ bust / sculpture of Luke Kelly The Dubliners has just been vandalised again with red spray paint as sunglasses.

This is the 4th time its been vandalised since it was officially unveiled to the public in Jan 2019.

Vera Klute has done some good work in the past but I really don't like this sculpture of Luke Kelly.

Is it time for D.C.C. to face up to the reality that the sculpture should be moved to their Head office or a Museum instead of its current location.

I have driven past it on my way to work and there does not seem to be any CCTV cameras covering the area where the statute is located.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0420/1132529-luke-kelly-statue/

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/luke-kelly-statue-guild-street-18116060

https://president.ie/en/diary/details/president-and-sabina-unveil-a-sculpture-of-the-late-luke-kelly-by-vera-klute

They installed CCTV after the first attack. It's pointing at it 24/7

The statue should be moved. If the community can't appreciate nice things then it shouldn't get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

In life he would have had roadies and bouncers to protect him from the riff raft attending his gigs, as well as the supporting band. I think if you also had head statues for all of these then Luke would be better protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

People from places like Sherrif Street, Ballymun, Ballyfermot love to go on about how ‘salt of the earth’ they are, and how much pride they have in their communities. The reality is they don’t give a shïte about anyone only themselves, and let their packs of semi-feral kids roam about all night.

You just have to see the state of the streets, with litter and graffiti everywhere to know that the people there have no pride in their community.

In life he would have had roadies and bouncers to protect him from the riff raft attending his gigs, as well as the supporting band. I think if you also had head statues for all of these then Luke would be better protected.

It really is prone. The danger is it could become more of a monument to defacement it’s not like some kid havin a few cans down on the lock isn’t going to get happy with a spraycan once in a while. Tarnishing an entire community..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They installed CCTV after the first attack. It's pointing at it 24/7

The statue should be moved. If the community can't appreciate nice things then it shouldn't get them.

Cctv only works to deter normal people, not feral teens or ballbags.

At least the hair went untouched. Would be hard pressed gettin whatever out of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Bobblehats wrote: »
    It really is prone. The danger is it could become more of a monument to defacement it’s not like some kid havin a few cans down on the lock isn’t going to get happy with a spraycan once in a while. Tarnishing an entire community..

D1 is the most littered area in Ireland, simply down to the locals putting their rubbish out on the streets and not giving a sh*t about anything.
    Funny how the marvelous Easter Island statue in Clontarf has never been vandalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

art is very subjective:

o-RESTORATION-570.jpg?4

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I seriously thought that statue was Phil Lynott, no bull.

tumblr_mt1enggbjB1r37rfro3_400.jpg

shutterstock_1413065888-2-696x503.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I think it's time for internment, I was talking to an old Kerry man today and he had the right Idea.

No doubt if I shared it, the headbanger SJW lefties would be reporting the post.

You know the colorful fillers in society, always cranky and tired.

SJW's the other scourge of society besides the scumbag White collar criminals and the other components who disregard the civility of society...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Vandalisation aside, it is the most hideous looking statue I've ever seen. Best just to remove the monstrosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Luke Kelly was white, and ginger, statue looks like a black guy with a Afro. I don't get it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Zebra3 wrote: »
    If they want to reduce crime and the corporate welfare bill, set up snipers outside the HQs of banks.

Genius.
    Please tell us more about jailing bankers haven't heard about that ad nausiem since 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Its quite a good likeness actually. Shame its in a place where it can't be left alone.

NWS_2014-01-31_OPI_014_30491256_I4.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

It's awful looking. It reminds me of an ISIS video. Luke Kelly is immortalised in his music. Why do we have to make statues of everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Funny how the marvelous Easter Island statue in Clontarf has never been vandalised.

It had graffiti on it when I passed it last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 PointHop123

The obvious solution is to raise the plinth to about 2.5 meters and ti surround it with metal bars.

The third defacement of the statue was in March about 6 weeks ago - the culprit was seen on a bike in a hoodie and cycled off towards East Wall - is that as horrible a neighnourhood as Sheriff Street?

Advertisement