Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Puzzling the death of an abandoned baby

• 10-01-2020 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

A friend came across this when looking up records for the Flanagan surname. The name of the baby caught her eye.

The baby appears to have been abandoned at Bridewell Garda Station, and died at about 3 weeks. The death was certified at St James and registered in Dublin South in 1948.

The puzzle is how/why was the baby named Oliver Flanagan.

27 Feb 1948 St James Hosp
    Oliver Flanagan, late Garda Barracks Bridewell
    M
    Bachelor
    3 wks
    Abandoned Infant
    Prematurely? (or permanently?) Certified
    R Mens? occupier St James Hosp
    28 Feb 1948
    DB Sullivan [registrar]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Wonder was the baby alive and baptised after he was found at the barracks. And for some reason named after the fresh young TD from Laois? OJ would have been 27yo at the time.

The name is too much to be just a coincidence I think.

From Wikipedia:
    "He [Oliver J. Flanagan] was first elected to Dáil Éireann as an Independent TD for the Laois–Offaly constituency at the 1943 general election — the third youngest person ever to have been elected to the Dáil at that time."

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭kildarejohn

leck wrote: »
    Bachelor
    3 wks
    Abandoned Infant
    Prematurely? (or permanently?) Certified

I think the "cause of death" should be read as "Prematurity, Certified"

I found a burial in 1948 at Glasnevin that is probably the same child -- although the death cert says 3 wks and the cemetery record says 3 mths.

Wonder was there any protocol following at that time for naming abandoned children?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Often named after the street they were found on.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I thought maybe Oliver as it might be feast day - and then stuck Flanagan on as last name as he was so topical at the time. But feast day of St Oliver (Oliver Plunkett) is July 11.

I wonder were there any guidelines for naming abandoned children?

Coincidentally, today's Irish Times has an article on abandoned babies - https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/ireland-s-abandoned-babies-stories-of-unimaginable-fear-1.4134033

• Advertisement
Advertisement