Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limekiln Road Dublin 12 - any opinions?

• 02-06-2015 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hello,
    Interested in opinions on Limekiln Road.
    Viewed a property there that may tick a few boxes but I was initially looking a bit closer to city centre.
    transport wise I see dublin bus lines 15A and 9 not too far but that seems to be pretty much it.
    Is the park safe?
    Any comments or advice will be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Miamiheat wrote: »
    Hello,
    Interested in opinions on Limekiln Road.
    Viewed a property there that may tick a few boxes but I was initially looking a bit closer to city centre.
    transport wise I see dublin bus lines 15A and 9 not too far but that seems to be pretty much it.
    Is the park safe?
    Any comments or advice will be welcome.

There is a boys national school and girls national school within walking distance. The area is settled but I wouldn't pay anything near the asking prices to live in greenhills even though I am sure estate agents label it as Terenure.

We used to go to dog training classes in Tymon on a Sunday and it seemed grand but I haven't ventured in it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Park is very safe.
    A lot cheaper on limekiln than is it 1/2 mile nearer Terenure or Templeogue.
    Easy/fast access to m50 via greenhills Rd and Fashion city.

Quite area overall, never any big traffic there.

Boys schools there is closing AFAIK and merging with another local.

Park is very safe.

There was a few bungalows there recently up for sale all labelled terenure and they were €350k-€475k!! If you look on myhome and search walkinstown the two storey limekiln ones are much less than €350k.

We have been looking to buy in Terenure and got a phone call off the estate agent who was selling the €475k (was orginally €500k). I said to her we would not be viewing it as we want to buy in Terenure for school catchment etc. She then admitted that it wasn't really in Terenure!!

OP there are a few 2 storey terraced houses on "whitehall road west" in perrystown that have been up for sale for ages that you could check out too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

Thanks you both for the information.
    It is a little further from the city centre (where i work) than i initially intended. Still debating it.
    I haven't seen any shops nearby.
    I do like the quiet and the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Park is very safe.

Which school is closing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Limekiln Rd is actually quite long. Comparing the Terenure end and the Greenhills end, one seems quite far from the city centre, the other is quite close, relatively speaking.

As others have said, for the location you will not beat Limekiln in terms of value. Half a kilometre down the road will cost you another €200k. Relatively speaking it is very close to the city centre - you'd cycle in around 15/20 minutes, and you could walk all the way in, in an hour or less.

Had a look at one there myself back in March;
    http://www.daft.ie/sales/8-limekiln-road-terenure-dublin/1037571

Absolutely massive south facing rear Garden. House itself needed gutting, but the amount of potential there was enormous. In the end we didn't even bother offering because it's in the catchment area for St. Paul's, and schools are one of our main factors.

The €475k one mentioned above showed what could be done with these houses - their asking was way too high, but at the same time it's a stunning property.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mortimer33

Which school is closing?

St Peters BNS will be moved to the same grounds as St Pauls GNS. I don't think the school is closing though.. Perhaps they will merge in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Shops nearby:

SuperValu in Orwell (take a right at T-junction/lights), also hardware, chinese, butchers,fruit/veg shop etc.
    Lidl on Greenhills Rd
    Ashleaf shopping centre/Dunnes anchor
    Rathfarnham sc/Tesco etc
    Aldi on long mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

Shops nearby:

SuperValu in Orwell (take a right at T-junction/lights), also hardware, chinese, butchers,fruit/veg shop etc.
    Lidl on Greenhills Rd
    Ashleaf shopping centre/Dunnes anchor
    Rathfarnham sc/Tesco etc
    Aldi on long mile.

Thanks for the tips. I got sale agreed on another property but I viewed that one today and its a good plan B for me if things dont work out. Thanks again for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,357 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

seamus wrote: »
    Limekiln Rd is actually quite long. Comparing the Terenure end and the Greenhills end, one seems quite far from the city centre, the other is quite close, relatively speaking.

As others have said, for the location you will not beat Limekiln in terms of value. Half a kilometre down the road will cost you another €200k. Relatively speaking it is very close to the city centre - you'd cycle in around 15/20 minutes, and you could walk all the way in, in an hour or less.

Had a look at one there myself back in March;
    http://www.daft.ie/sales/8-limekiln-road-terenure-dublin/1037571

Absolutely massive south facing rear Garden. House itself needed gutting, but the amount of potential there was enormous. In the end we didn't even bother offering because it's in the catchment area for St. Paul's, and schools are one of our main factors.

The €475k one mentioned above showed what could be done with these houses - their asking was way too high, but at the same time it's a stunning property.

Would you not buy somewhere that is better value and then send your child to somewhere like Coláiste Éanna in Ballyroan it suppose to be a very good school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mariaalice wrote: »
    Would you not buy somewhere that better value and then send your child to somewhere like Coláiste Éanna in Ballyroan it suppose to be a very good school.
    This point was made to us by plenty of people - buy somewhere cheaper and you could even afford a private school with the savings. There are plenty of good ones close to Limekiln. While it was certainly a plan B, the ideal was buying somewhere within walking/cycling distance of the school(s) we wanted.

Getting in the car everyone morning to drive the kids to school for 20 years is not on our bucket list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

mortimer33 wrote: »
    St Peters BNS will be moved to the same grounds as St Pauls GNS. I don't think the school is closing though.. Perhaps they will merge in the future?
    The three primary schools (St. Paul’s Senior Girls’, St. Paul’s Junior Girls’ and St. Peter’s Boys’) are merging to co-ed in Sept & will be located in the two existing St Pauls' buildings. They'll be called Holy Spirit Junior Primary School & Holy Spirit Senior Primary School (the signs outside have already changed to the new names). As far as I know the secondary St Pauls will remain for girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,357 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

This point was made to us by plenty of people - buy somewhere cheaper and you could even afford a private school with the savings. There are plenty of good ones close to Limekiln. While it was certainly a plan B, the ideal was buying somewhere within walking/cycling distance of the school(s) we wanted.

Getting in the car everyone morning to drive the kids to school for 20 years is not on our bucket list :)

That a brilliant post you have no idea how much easier your life is if you can sa from the age of 8/9 off you go walk to school, I was in one situation where I had to drive them to school and one where they could walk and it really does lessen your stress and improve you life not having to drive children to school.

Terenure college junior school is closing so I am guessing there is no future in horizons junior school.
    Also demand is still very high to get into certain fee paying schools.

Advertisement