Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets talk about... Betelgeuse

• 20-01-2020 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭

Just thought I would start a Boardsie thread about the recent dimming of Betelgeuse. Just to see what us amateurs think :)

We probably all know its a variable star, but this recent dimming seems to be different.

Throw in the supposed detection of Gravitational Waves from that area and the sky, and well, we are all living in hope to see a supernova.

What do we all think? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Briefing paper (New York Times) .....

Just a Fainting Spell? Or Is Betelgeuse About to Blow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

I didn't know about the GW detection in the vicinity. Nothing to do with Betelgeuse though ... unless the supernova had already gone off. Am I right in thinking that GWs are not guaranteed from a supernova? ... depends on the asymmetry of the kick during core collapse? That universetoday article says the SN won't happen for an estimated 100ky, but that's wrong afaik. It's estimated to happen within 100ky, which is a different thing. It's simply a measure of uncertainty. I'm certain it's going to happen in my lifetime, with a level of misplaced confidence which is the reason I don't gamble. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Ive been following since the news broke last year, and am just curious wondering what the rest of the amateur community think of it.

Im more with ps200306 in hoping beyond hope it happens in the next few decades, ideally tomorrow :D:D

Bar SN1987a, which I followed at the time when I was 11, we are overdue a visible one on this side of the galaxy!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

I do not think the dimming is a precursor to a supernova. I hope I am wrong though!

I do think the dimming is very interesting however and should be studied to learn more about the evolution of stars of this size.

It is amazing how noticeable the dimming was to the naked eye. I would not normally notice or follow variable stars but the night I first saw Orion in December after Betelgeuse had dimmed I was amazed.

The gravitational waves detection is also very interesting. I cannot wait to learn where they came from. If it is still possible to find the source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

It is around 640 ly away. So it could have blown 600 years ago and we wouldn't know for another 40 years or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭legrand

GWs travel at or close to speed of light. Not heard that these were detected - however one would assume unrelated to Betelgeuse if that is still visible/intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

This is from recent imaging of Betelgeuse by ESO - it shows reduction in brightness and apparent change in shape!

eso2003c.jpg

https://www.eso.org/public/news/eso2003/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

It really does change the nightscape, when the previously bright star is now the same as the other stars in the asterism of Orion.
    Definitely pretty cool to see, I suspect it'll be talked about for a fair while, no matter what happens.

My suspicion is that there's another bit of dimming to go, but not much more than e.g. another 0.3 mag.

At least it's fairly easy to get a pic of the relative brightnesses of the stars, it'd make an interesting project for kids to compare to next winter if the same camera could be used again.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭legrand

this seems to be a reasonable explanation to what might be going on (I'm no expert)..

https://youtu.be/TKO-ktyPS-k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

And the dimming has stopped, and now the star is beginning to brighten again:
    http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=13512
    A more reader-friendly post here: https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/fall-rise-betelgeuse/

Make sure to go and get your photos of a dim Betelgeuse before it fully returns to normal..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Does it normally have that sort of blob happening?

Betelgeuse-e1579522912348.jpg?w=670

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I also wonder if the lighter carbon pollution levels are making night time observing in anyway clearer for observation purposes?

Advertisement