Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Faulty GPU and Brexit

• 07-01-2021 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all. Need some advice.

I purchased a graphics card from a UK website in November and it has suddenly stopped working. (Tried everything, card is faulty)

The UK company usually would arrange a DPD pickup to collect the card and inspect it for RMA. But because of Brexit they have just emailed me after a substantial delay and game of email tennis, to inform me they wont be arranging anymore collections from Ireland and I've to arrange my own courier to transport the item at my own expense.

The item costs over 1500 can a courier cover insurance costs of that item? And will I have to pay customs or charges to send this item back? I'm very confused by the current situation and have been told my couple of mates to do a chargeback and send them the card as I'll probably get charged again for them to re-send the item if fixed.

Cheers!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You will generally need to pay for insurance for that value. If items are marked as return for repair / returned repaired goods on the way back they should be customs-free but you will likely find it impossible to argue on a charge if its not marked properly when they send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Try contact the GPU manufacturer first before returning. It’s normally a lot faster to get a repair/replacement than returning to a retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Try contact the GPU manufacturer first before returning. It’s normally a lot faster to get a repair/replacement than returning to a retailer.

Tried that. They told me to deal with seller.

Turning into a nightmare. Having difficulty even getting a courier to ship it to the UK and then sorting insurance, etc and then the company trying to figure out returns or even source a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

Is it Scan by any chance?

UPS Standard is €27 to the UK insured to a value of €1500. There is an option "sending to be repaired" for the reason for shipping.

VG31 wrote: »
    Is it Scan by any chance?

UPS Standard is €27 to the UK insured to a value of €1500. There is an option "sending to be repaired" for the reason for shipping.

Cheers, I'll try that thanks. It's actually to Cclonline. 27E isnt too bad. Will sort in the morning. Just need to sort a box for it now! :D

• Advertisement

Think this company is run by monkeys.
    I emailed them couriers that ship still to the UK with quotes..... They've sent me back the default email looking for courier quotes...... Twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

Think this company is run by monkeys.
    I emailed them couriers that ship still to the UK with quotes..... They've sent me back the default email looking for courier quotes...... Twice.

I returned something to them recently (before Brexit) and I had to organise the return myself also. I didn't sent them the quote before I sent it. I just sent them the UPS receipt after I returned it and they refunded the shipping cost without any hassle.

VG31 wrote: »
    I returned something to them recently (before Brexit) and I had to organise the return myself also. I didn't sent them the quote before I sent it. I just sent them the UPS receipt after I returned it and they refunded the shipping cost without any hassle.

Good to know. Cheers.

Update.

FedEx were trying to charge me an extra 180 euro, so that was scrapped.

UPS delivered it for 50euro. Done and sorted.

But got an email today, looking for an invoice, after they delivered it? What's going on there?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Currently its an import from the UK and liable to VAT and charges. You need an invoice from the supplier to say its a return after repair under warranty, and that the invoice value is 0.00. See if that works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Update.

FedEx were trying to charge me an extra 180 euro, so that was scrapped.

UPS delivered it for 50euro. Done and sorted.

But got an email today, looking for an invoice, after they delivered it? What's going on there?

FedEx - express air service. Time guaranteed delivery and usually next day.

Ups (former nightline service) offer a "saver" rate and ship via road/ferry and don't have a delivery day guarantee. Usually 2-3 days for the UK.

Probably got flagged. Just send copy of November invoice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

UPS offered a cheaper road freight service since Moses wore short pants, ever before they bought Nightline.

Just an update folks.

Got the card sent back with Via UPS.

Card was determined to be faulty. Send to factory for repair.

CCL will not return the card as they no longer trade with Ireland (say they will sell the card at a far higher price than I paid for it)

Getting full refund this week from them.

Cheers for all the help! :D

Advertisement