Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Winter 2020/Spring 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Mammatus display earlier in the day in Dublin 13 and slight hints of shelf cloud this eve ahead of the hail shower near Howth.

kYjBUNK.jpg

eT3YxfD.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great shots sryanbruen .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big showers rolling in here near Tralee, I see some recent activity up along the coast, bit of CAPE available for a time in the early hours.

Tomorrow again small amount of CAPE available earlier in the day that might give a few sporadic strikes and tomorrow night into Sat will be interesting to see if there is a bit of increased activity with the passage of an upper trough and upper cold pool . Increasingly wintry and hail showers tomorrow night into Sat it would seem.

snRWWY9.png

ldJ2Z0B.gif

UUxIjJF.gif

2VPi3gC.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Thunder just outside Castlebar currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Incredibly dark here in Achill now with thunder rumbling in the distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭sunbeam

And now here comes the hail...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hail and thunder in Co Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Yellow wind warning for kerry this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Rumbles in north east Galway. No sparks. Nice dark grey clouds tho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some terrific flashes of lightning here.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Some terrific flashes of lightning here.

Where might one find these flashes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Jez why can't they post their location

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭lolie

1 flash of lightning and crack of thunder over Ballyjamesduff just after 6 oclock.
    Lots of rain mixed with hail this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭lolie

2 more bright flashes and big cracks of thunder at 7.30 on the Westmeath/Cavan border.
    Dirty cold evening out there, heavy rain mixed with sleety hail.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is this what you mean?

https://www.blitzortung.org/en/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Big strike just north of me now, lots of hail.

600FT ASL - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

Very loud thunder right after the strike, scared the bejesus out of the sheep !!

600FT ASL - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

EDIT: Strange that the lightning in the mountains is not registering on the lightning mapping sites ?

Having had the house struck twice in the last 10 years I am a bit OTT about lightning.

Looking at the video frame by frame the strike appears to have been within the "horseshoe" of mountains here. I have seen the same area get struck many times over the years, Frames 3 and 4 appear to show a streamer or the remnants of the strike itself (top right). It appears to be coming from the peak of the ridge (see reference picture from the same camera earlier today).

I hope this is of interest to some, just scares the pants off me.

frame1.png
    frame2.png
    frame3.png
    frame4.png
    reference.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Having had the house struck twice in the last 10 years I am a bit OTT about lightning.

Looking at the video frame by frame the strike appears to have been within the "horseshoe" of mountains here. I have seen the same area get struck many times over the years, Frames 3 and 4 appear to show a streamer or the remnants of the strike itself (top right). It appears to be coming from the peak of the ridge (see reference picture from the same camera earlier today).

I hope this is of interest to some, just scares the pants off me.

frame1.png
    frame2.png
    frame3.png
    frame4.png
    reference.png

Could there be a tower or something around there?

spookwoman wrote: »
    Could there be a tower or something around there?

No tower anywhere near.

It seems my side of the ridge, just maybe 50-100m down from the top (I overlaid the reference and frame 3). I will have a good look tomorrow, see how close I can get (provided there is no lightning around).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I've had 4 flashes since yesterday in West Clare, none of which have shown on lightning radars.

Could really do with one in the western region!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I've had 4 flashes since yesterday in West Clare, none of which have shown on lightning radars.

Could really do with one in the western region!

There's no such thing as a lightning radar, like a precipitation radar. The ADT lightning network is an array of antennae dotted around the world, hundreds or thousands of km apart. Valentia has one such antenna.They're still able to detect and locate strikes by triangulation with a high level of accuracy, though many still go undetected, regardless of location.

Fig-1-The-locations-of-ATDnet-sensors-that-contribute-to-the-operations-network-red.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Recent sferics in Limerick/Tipperary

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    No tower anywhere near.

It seems my side of the ridge, just maybe 50-100m down from the top (I overlaid the reference and frame 3). I will have a good look tomorrow, see how close I can get (provided there is no lightning around).

Looks like that was the strike picked up below by the ATD network.

Wild night last night up here near Tralee, sounded worse that the night with the Orange warning, shower after shower of hail and strong gusts with it ( up round 80 km/h ). Very wintry this morning with hail, sleet and snow also but turned out to be a fine bright and breezy afternoon.

x0LM9Sf.png

bJU07OO.jpg

C7DaH3D.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This shows why you shouldn't shelter under a single tree in a thunderstorm. Unfortunately one died, three injured. Viewer discretion advised.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=IeFx_1615643477

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Viewer discretion advised.

*goes full screen*

Damn!

Looks like that was the strike picked up below by the ATD network.

Wild night last night up here near Tralee, sounded worse that the night with the Orange warning, shower after shower of hail and strong gusts with it ( up round 80 km/h ). Very wintry this morning with hail, sleet and snow also but turned out to be a fine bright and breezy afternoon.

Hi Metorite, thanks for the information.

I have checked the cctv computer and the time of the strike is bang on to the second (21:23:53), however the location on the map is about 2 - 3km off from strike here.

My experience of the lightening networks is that they are often accurate, the times we have been hit in the past they were pretty much spot on.

I was outside at the time walking between the workshop and the house (to isolate my renewable s systems) when it hit and there was immediate sound, but the thunder then continued on for a long time and it did peak twice. I think the strike on the map is accurate and the first strike triggered another (unrecorded) strike at my location. Looking at the light in frames 1 and 2 backs this up. My camera is looking north, the strike on the map is off to the west/north west. In frame 1 the light does appear to be from the W/NW, but in frame2 the light is supplemented with light from the north, consistent with the strike it captured.

The network might well have captured the data for both strikes, but as they were so close consolidated as one.

Thanks my thinking anyway, sound plausible ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

On the topics of strikes not appearing to be detected, we had two last Thursday afternoon here in Donabate around 17:15 and checks afterwards showed neither appearing on Met.ie or the usual lightning maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Good ongoing live stream here that is keeping a watch on those big storms breaking out across the southern US states at the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9gE73dwnJk

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement