Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stretching for Swimming and muscle cramp on the sole of your foot

• 19-02-2009 10:53am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hi all

I have just started to do alot of swimming, maybe 5 times a week for the last few weeks.
    I'm doing ok I can swim a fair few lengths.

I was wondering do many people stretch before they go? I never see anyone doing it. I tend to just hop in and start off slowly.

Also does anyone else get cramp on the sole of their foot?
    I was wondering could these two be related.

Any opinions would greatly appreicated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

Hi there,
    I swim regularly and I spend about 15 minutes stretching before and after each session. The way I start is:
    Neck - rotate, move back and forward several times slowly
    Shoulders/Arms: Rotate back and forward on their own, then together in same and opposite directions. Stretch shoulders by holding my arm head and pulling on it whilst leaning over that side to increase the stretch. Rotate your arms at your elbows, stretch out the wrists.
    Hips - Rotate in different directions.
    Legs - Hamstring stretch - put both hands against the wall, bend one leg and stretch the other one out, alternate - this is a good one if you get a cramp in the back of your leg. Buddha sit - sit down, feet together, lean on the knees.
    Ankles - rotate on the ball of your foot.
    This is just a basic warm up, you can perfect it yourself. When I'm swimming, when I start I am trying to pick out what feels stiff and I aim to do an excercise or stretch that opens it or loosens better for next time.
    Lastly, foot cramp. Stand close to a wall. Put your toes against the wall, ball of your foot against the floor. Your foot should be arched, you should almost feel the stretch straight away. Then try and lean your knee over your ankle. You normally get the cramp in your foot from kicking off the wall too hard - try tumbleturns if you can.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭swimforever

I'm part of a long-distance swimming email group, and there have been a number of discussions about stretching before and after swimming. The general rule seems to be to do a warm up at the start of your swim session but if you want to stretch, only do it after, when your muscles are warm. There is research that shows that you may actually weaken the muscles by up to 30% by stretching them when they're cold. (Here is the article that talks about this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/3374401/Stretching-before-exercise-can-be-bad-for-you.html) Of course there are probably research studies out there that totally contradict this too.

Speaking from my own experience, I'm swimming 6 days a week at the moment and it's intensive training (I'm training for the Channel this summer). I never stretch before or after swimming, and it doesn't seem to affect me. I have swam 60km some weeks and have not been injured yet (touch wood!). I'm not saying that this means that stretching is never useful, I'm just saying that I'm doing fine without it.

I also do a few weights sessions a week and I do sometimes stretch after those-not on a regular basis but if I've got some free time or if something feels particularly tight.

Just my 2c worth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

What i do is before i go to bed i put one leg on the bed and stretch it out for a minute then i do the other, then off to sleep, the next day i go to work etc and then after work i cycle to swimming which is 7minutes constantly changing gears to meet the terrain etc so thats a good leg warm up, then when changed i stretch my arms then rotate them over my head then cris cross them and then stretch them again then go swimming, after swimming i usually just relax them in the sauna.

Works for me, then again its down to what you do to suit you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I get cramps when my hydration levels are off. A drink before I get in the pool prevents this.

I also don't stretch for swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Stretching is only really necessary if you are doing anaerobic sets. Other wise I'd only stretch if I could feel a cramp coming on. Plenty of water, and a banana for brekkie. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

Stretching is done as part of your overall fitness and to keep all the joints supple. It not going to detrimentally affect your swimming if you don’t stretch, it just may help if you do. Much in the same way as if you eat right it may improve your performance but if you don’t, how much will you actually notice?

The cramps can be due to two major factors (both already mentioned), dehydration or basic lack of use/strength of that particular muscle. The dehydration one is easy; just make sure you are drinking enough before, during and after your sets. Small amounts of salts help the body’s absorption of water. As AngryHippie is rightly doing, bananas are high in potassium which is a salt.

If you have a particular muscle that is always causing you problems make sure to stretch that one before each session but a whole body stretch is not essential, especially when time is an issue.

Gone Fishin has outline the basic stretch for that area. It’s a tough one to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

As already posted, don't 'stretch' before any exercise. Warming up either in or out of the pool is how you start, you should only stretch warm muscles (warm as in active). I usually find my shoulders tighten up between 8-16 lengths - at which point I stop for a short stretch - it usually does the trick. Stretching afterwards is also beneficial.

There were studies published recently that actually found stretching before exercise reduced muscle performance significantly.

To relieve foot cramp you need to try to pull/push your toes back towards your shin while keeping you leg straight - you should feel it pull right through the underside of your foot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

thanks everyone
    much appreicated
    the reason i asked about the stretching is i dont usually have time for it but other than the cramp on the sole of my foot i seem to be ok.
    whereas in other sports, football, rugby and soccer id always stretch for 10mins or so. if i didnt stretch id know about it pretty soon too.
    Interesting point about the hydration, will drink more and see how it goes.
    cheers everyone

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Speaking from my own experience, I'm swimming 6 days a week at the moment and it's intensive training (I'm training for the Channel this summer). I never stretch before or after swimming, and it doesn't seem to affect me. I have swam 60km some weeks and have not been injured yet (touch wood!).

Seems like every Irish person who swims the channel is from Cork! Bet I can guess who your coach is. :p

And yea, I agree with the no stretching before idea. Should never stretch cold muscles. I've been competitively swimming since I was a nipper, foot cramp seems to be an occupational hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭swimforever

dory wrote: »
    Seems like every Irish person who swims the channel is from Cork! Bet I can guess who your coach is. :p

You'd probably be right! And I'm very lucky to have her behind me, she's amazing :)

There are actually quite a few people training in Ireland for it this year though-I know of 8 others besides me. There's 4 of us in the Cork area and 5 in the Dublin area. And possibly more, I don't know. So there will be a big Irish gang over in Dover throughout this summer!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You'd probably be right! And I'm very lucky to have her behind me, she's amazing :)

Indeed she is. I've had a lot of swim coaches over the last 20 years. She is the very best. Best of luck with the swim. It's on my to do list as well but I'm waiting until I move back to Cork so I can try convince a certain trainer to help me!

Advertisement