Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Sorry to hear that.... very disappointing. I've only ever tried the specials of the day there - never ate from the main menu (which in fairness, seems quite boring.. fish, steak, more fish & steak with fish).

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

My favourite restaurant is the Venue in Strandhill. Going there tonight YUM!
    Their garlic cheese potatoes are fab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Silver33 wrote: »

Where is that in Strandhill? Do they have food everyday?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

Mrs T - they are up the top of Strandhill next door to Kellys bar.
    Yes they are open every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Mrs.T wrote: »
    Where is that in Strandhill? Do they have food everyday?

I told you about that, but of course not over the boards so you didn't hear me? I've heard that the fish is really good there

• Advertisement

I told you about that, but of course not over the boards so you didn't hear me? I've heard that the fish is really good there

You thought you told me...same old, same old.....

So, ehm, when are we going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carebare

Silver33 wrote: »

Try their chicken wings-they are to DIE for!! And a huge portion, you can get them as either starter or main course :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Their chicken burgers venue style are scrumptious:D:D

And I agree on the Garlic+Cheese Potatoes and Chicken Wings...top notch!

You thought you told me...same old, same old.....

So, ehm, when are we going?

when ever you ask me out on that date!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Casey ca

Hi all,

Looking for advice...... need a good restaurant in Sligo. Orgainising my sisters hen, so they need to be willing to accommodate 20 women!

Any suggestions?

would you also mind suggesting some pubs?

:pac:

• Advertisement

When we ate in Kudos in Clarion Hotel, there seemed to be a lot of hen parties. They have a big room that had a big hen party going on when we were there.
    Sorry, can't help you with pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Casey ca wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for advice...... need a good restaurant in Sligo. Orgainising my sisters hen, so they need to be willing to accommodate 20 women!

Any suggestions?

McHughs is always full with hen parties on a Saturday night

Casey ca wrote: »
    Hi all,

Any suggestions?

Foodwise, depends what you're after really... Lemongrass do large groups if you book early. It's Asian food, so it mightn't suit everyone. Mardees on Castle Street is a safe enough bet and reasonably priced.

Pubwise, most hen parties tend to go to places like The Belfry, Fiddlers or McHughs... thery're really the only pubs large enough for big groups. And the night clubs are Toffs and Velvet Room (only open on Saturday nights). I don't like either of them (chart music all night), but Velvet's the better of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Foodwise, depends what you're after really... Lemongrass do large groups if you book early. It's Asian food, so it mightn't suit everyone. Mardees on Castle Street is a safe enough bet and reasonably priced.

Pubwise, most hen parties tend to go to places like The Belfry, Fiddlers or McHughs... thery're really the only pubs large enough for big groups. And the night clubs are Toffs and Velvet Room (only open on Saturday nights). I don't like either of them (chart music all night), but Velvet's the better of the two.

I would second this (but wouldn't go near Fiddlers tbh!).
    You could also try Coach Lane for Grub.

Gillie wrote: »
    I would second this (but wouldn't go near Fiddlers tbh!).
    You could also try Coach Lane for Grub.

Personally I wouldn't go near Fiddlers, McHughs OR the Belfry.. there's too many hen nights & blokes with bad shirts tucked into their jeans! Fiddlers is the worst of the lot though... a real boggers disco-bar.

Fiddlers is the worst of the lot though... a real boggers disco-bar.

Some of the ppl who frequent it make me think of this pic:
    star-trek-inspirational-poster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Personally I wouldn't go near Fiddlers, McHughs OR the Belfry.. there's too many hen nights & blokes with bad shirts tucked into their jeans! Fiddlers is the worst of the lot though... a real boggers disco-bar.

I dont mind McHughs , I dont really go there for the men though so what they wear doesn't bother me :p

gustavo wrote: »
    I dont mind McHughs , I dont really go there for the men though so what they wear doesn't bother me :p

And that's a good point!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Easy up there guys! Ye might not like it, but perhaps others do..

sueme wrote: »
    Easy up there guys! Ye might not like it, but perhaps others do..

Where were you to defend Ballyremote for me earlier in another thread!:eek:
    ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Gillie wrote: »
    Where were you to defend Ballyremote for me earlier in another thread!:eek:
    ;):D

Ballywhere?

;)

sueme wrote: »
    Ballywhere?

;)

:(

when ever you ask me out on that date!!

;) Hows about this weekend then darling? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Whenever you decide where you're going for your hen night, be sure to post about it here

...So I can avoid it. Hen Parties = one of my least favourite aspects of this country

;) Hows about this weekend then darling? ;)

Xiney is right! This is so much better then talking. saturday good for you? Its footie on friday;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I was in Coach Lane a while ago and like darealtulip we were a bit disappointed. We were waiting forty minutes for our table! OK, there was hen night taking too long, still complimentary drinks weren't being offered.

There was a lot "off the menu", A lot of the fish wasn't available. Two bottles of wine we ordered weren't in stock.

The food was fine, the meat a little well done for my liking, I like rare meat to be rare. We were with some locals who reckon the menu hadn't changed in years, same as Bianconi's.

The atmosphere was nice, the decor and surroundings very pleasant, deserts were good, expresso's perfect.

Certainly not fine dining, then again its not overly expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 desireland

Would agree that Montemarte is about the best food in Sligo, Altough the French waitstaff can be a little bit unfriendly, Great coffee and sandwiches in Cafe Fleur in o connell street, although I think they only open during the day-time, there always seems to be a big lot in there every lunchtime so they must be doing something right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iosfra

Not sure if Mardees has been mentioned, it's above the new centra in town. Lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Can't say I agree with Cafe Fleur.

Maybe it has improved (I went when it was still only a few weeks old) but I found the prices exhorbitant as well as unclear (they didn't have any sort of menu/board up, just fancy TVs with scrolling nonsense), the bread stale, the portion of meat & cheese woeful and the salad wilted.

Suppose I could try it again in case they were having an "off" day, but to be quite honest I have not been inclined in the least. Give me cafe society any day - great selection of great food at great prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Tobergal Lane Cafe can be good- pan fried mackerel, with salad and crusty bread washed down with a pint of pale ale, menu can be a bit samey though, they have repainted it and it has a nice mellow feel now.

Advertisement