Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ocean FM

Options
13»

Comments

Kettleson wrote: »
    Again, scanning radio in car and caught the Ocean FM ad, that Mike Moloney had an advertised slot...is he back permanent? Or just covering?

I just can't tune in to Ocean anymore.

Can't see any reference to him on the website either!

Just listening to him now,sounds like he is just filling in for Shane Smyth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

...I admit I consciously tuned in earlier this afternoon to see if Mike M was on....ended up having a fingernails on blackboard moment:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: horrible it was...never again.

Haven't heard Niall Delaney on Ocean FM for at least 4 weeks,is it a long holiday,illness or departure?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Haven't heard Niall Delaney on Ocean FM for at least 4 weeks,is it a long holiday,illness or departure?
    Heard them saying, back on Wednesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Hope he takes an extended holiday. The morning show is far more positive and up beat without him.

Any word on how Ocean FM got on with the recent quarterly listenership figures?

No significant change?

http://radiotoday.ie/2015/07/jnlr-results-analysis-quarter-2-2015/

I was going to ask if Ocean FM had any luck at the PPI awards last night.

But Ive just seen that they didn't get any nominations for 2015. Big change from last year.

http://www.ppiradioawards.com/shortlist2015.php

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

sorry to drag up old thread but I thought I better not start up another one...

I often listen to ocean in the daytime , but me personally when a live act or singer comes into the studio , or a beauty spot, or cooking spot comes on I very often turn over to another radio station or put on a bit of music of my own . I dont personally like these slots and prefer mainly music with a little bit of chat in between songs and dont care much for singers trying to push a new song or concert or business pushing its products (I suppose that help pays the bills for ocean FM)

When I lived in UK years ago in the late 80's in Luton, we used to have 2 Local radio stations (I suppose you could say more population, so it justified it) to choose from on the FM scale. They were Chiltern Radio and BBC Radio Bedfordshire. - Chiltern would play mainly up to date and older variety of songs throughout the day with DJ's in between records announcing records and then Local news for Luton & Dunstable and then Adverts ... but BBC Radio Bedfordshire (or it may have been BBC 4 counties radio then) would have less music and more talk and people coming in studio promoting songs or news articles and a phone-in show in the mornings and special slots in the evening (I think from 8-9pm they had Irish hour featuring all Irish songs)

So basically if you wanted music and local news you tuned into Chiltern Radio ... if you wanted more a chat and phone in kind of station and an expand of local issues and news of the day you tuned into BBC Radio bedfordshire.

As I say, you most probably wouldnt have the population or whatever but I wonder how a similar thing would work in the northwest? - so say OceanFM could play music and local news and very little talk ... and a hypothetical RTE Radio Sligo (or RTE RADIO Northwest) could do all the talking and bands coming in with their new songs and all that jazz

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

sorry to drag up old thread but I thought I better not start up another one...

I often listen to ocean in the daytime , but me personally when a live act or singer comes into the studio , or a beauty spot, or cooking spot comes on I very often turn over to another radio station or put on a bit of music of my own . I dont personally like these slots and prefer mainly music with a little bit of chat in between songs and dont care much for singers trying to push a new song or concert or business pushing its products (I suppose that help pays the bills for ocean FM)

When I lived in UK years ago in the late 80's in Luton, we used to have 2 Local radio stations (I suppose you could say more population, so it justified it) to choose from on the FM scale. They were Chiltern Radio and BBC Radio Bedfordshire. - Chiltern would play mainly up to date and older variety of songs throughout the day with DJ's in between records announcing records and then Local news for Luton & Dunstable and then Adverts ... but BBC Radio Bedfordshire (or it may have been BBC 4 counties radio then) would have less music and more talk and people coming in studio promoting songs or news articles and a phone-in show in the mornings and special slots in the evening (I think from 8-9pm they had Irish hour featuring all Irish songs)

So basically if you wanted music and local news you tuned into Chiltern Radio ... if you wanted more a chat and phone in kind of station and an expand of local issues and news of the day you tuned into BBC Radio bedfordshire.

As I say, you most probably wouldnt have the population or whatever but I wonder how a similar thing would work in the northwest? - so say OceanFM could play music and local news and very little talk ... and a hypothetical RTE Radio Sligo (or RTE RADIO Northwest) could do all the talking and bands coming in with their new songs and all that jazz

They really have a crappy timetable, they should really be more lively and go around the town to promote themselves better. If they do it that way, then more people will be listening to them more as well as young people. However Ocean don't push themselves to get to the top of the county!

• Advertisement

Just tuned into Ocean FM (after years not listening)to see if they had any news on all the traffic holdups around Collooney and Ballisodare this morning! Turned it off straight away as it was totally unlistenable,some lady on reading out texts and all she was doing was 'amming' and 'umming' after every second word she read! Would have thought you would need to be an articulate speaker to be on radio,at the very least! Maybe its a local radio thing,I don't know!

Hopefully Radio Nova get the national licence on FM, (as the rumours go) then at least there will be a station worth listening too,aimed at the 35+ age group who arent into country and fiddle music!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Hopefully Radio Nova get the national licence on FM, (as the rumours go) then at least there will be a station worth listening too,aimed at the 35+ age group who arent into country and fiddle music!

Fair enough, but there are plenty of people that are in to it and enjoy Ocean FM.
    I dont listen to it myself but they serve a purpose , and the older generation that do listen are just as important and entitled to in my opinion. There are more than enough Radio Nova, Q102, iRadio, FM104, Sunshine FM, Spin FM, Classic Hits too.

Yes but not available in Sligo in the car on FM! I dont like the bland pop on 2fm,iradio and today fm and hate country music local stations.I like Nova as they play a lot of 60s to 90s guitar based classic hits!

Fair enough, but there are plenty of people that are in to it and enjoy Ocean FM.
    I dont listen to it myself but they serve a purpose , and the older generation that do listen are just as important and entitled to in my opinion. There are more than enough Radio Nova, Q102, iRadio, FM104, Sunshine FM, Spin FM, Classic Hits too.

can i just ask you a question if you dont mind - way back when northwest Radio and Ocean FM were vying for bids for the licence (a long time ago) OceanFM cited that they would be a breath of fresh air compared to the existing NWR (MNWRFM) having that OceanFM have been going for years now do you honestly think they are any much different to the previous NWR radio station? - I personally dont think so.

The buzz word at the time and in interviews at the time Ocean FM stated that NWR broadcasted as a radio station to middle Aged to old age listeners and that the area had potential younger audience but that they tuned to RTE 2FM and TodayFM (cant be certain i102 was around at that time) and that this area that NWR were brodcasting to were not appealing to the younger audience (teenagers and under 30's mainly I should imaging they were talking about) .. I think they even went as far to say about all the country and western music that NWR were playing was mainly to cater for middle age to older age listeners and that OceanFM wanted to shake things up and appeal to a wider audience to the northwest .. and so they got the licence (well money/highest bid most probably played a part too)

I can honestly say and I have been saying, is what was that war over the licence for back then because I listen to OceanFM and most of the time am thinking it is an absolute replica of what NWR was like - where was this dynamic radio station they were talking about , appealing to all age groups ? - what was the whole point in the end ? - NWR could have carried on and there would be no difference ... who, knows might have even become better.

I have learned now to selectively listen to oceanfm at certain parts of the day now when I am listening to the FM band - I sometimes like the morning talk /phone in show and other times I am bored with it so tune into Today FM which has a bit of craic as well (good range of modern music , and not just country and western themed) - then I tune to Francie Boylan show he has a good show there - 2 O'clock I would have tuned in for afternoon delight with seamie mac, but now some God awful country and western boring show on now I turn over to Fergal darcy on Today FM .. then back to OceanFM at 4.30pm .. but if they have someone in studio talking about their next album or I get fed up with the repetiveness of the show its onto 2FM or i-Radio .. if I am listening to radio after 7PM (another country and western show!) I tend to go on Internet radio and put on HeartFM (UK) , the local radio station from where I used to live years ago .

This is just not right. I prefer to be able to stay on my local radio station so I can get all the local news, traffic , nice and light easy listening with a bright happy presenter, not some fossil presenter that sends me to sleep (that be good for night time listening) playing a good selection of some older (not too old) and some modern hits - but no, I often find myself constantly got to keep tuning the FM dial throughout the day - Its a weird line up they have throughout the day on the radio station , and I am no expert on radio show scheduling , and yes if they do pull the radio station to the 21st century and play a mix throughout the day that could loose country and western listeners and the mid age to old age market I realise that - but I dont think the radio station as it is is fair for all listeners in the area as they are leaning too much towards country and western music and programming and programming for the mid age to old age listener.

That is my particular view - maybe i am the odd one out , maybe their huge listernship love country and western slant to the radio station in this area , I wouldndnt be surprised - but they must think of all the other younger audience they loose to 2FM/TodayFM and i102 no?

EDIT: - haha , as i wrote this it struck 2pm and a jingle came on "the perfect music mix!" ... and now for the next 2 hours it will be country and western! .. how the feck is that the perfect music mix? :D

Yes but not available in Sligo in the car on FM! I dont like the bland pop on 2fm,iradio and today fm and hate country music local stations.I like Nova as they play a lot of 60s to 90s guitar based classic hits!

I dont believe personally that would be good to replace listening to a local radio station with listening to a rock station myself personally - is Nova on the DAB is it? - thats what we should all be pushing in Ireland is a better nationwide all-Ireland accessible DAB radio service so you can get to hear the radio stations you want , and nice an clear in digital sound. It should only take a few more relays and extra transmitter dotted around the country and we should be able to all get DAB radio. - in this day and age FM is so old hat, inferior sound especially if your in a weak area / have a weak signal .. in fact it should have been turned off ages ago like the analog TV signal has been ... and replaced with high quality digital DAB with more selection of stations. DAB radios are sold everywhere now these days from Tesco's to Currys and most new motor cars in the last 5 years come with an FM/DAB radio built in the dash.

But only certain areas of Ireland can get a DAB signal.

Not all middle aged people like country music,I'm 51 and I could never bear it.Classic rock from the 60s onwards is what I like and Radio Nova in Dublin caters for my needs there. I have to listen on an internet radio or bluetooth from my phone in the car to get it in Sligo.I think there is room in Ireland for a national rock station,its all about diversity but all the local stations up and down the country broadcast the same country/traditional type of output.This country produced,Thin Lizzy,U2 and Rory Gallagher(we are not worthy) so there is a thriving rock culture here to be catered for!
    Going to send this to the BAI too!

Not all middle aged people like country music,I'm 51 and I could never bear it.Classic rock from the 60s onwards is what I like and Radio Nova in Dublin caters for my needs there. I have to listen on an internet radio or bluetooth from my phone in the car to get it in Sligo.I think there is room in Ireland for a national rock station,its all about diversity but all the local stations up and down the country broadcast the same country/traditional type of output.This country produced,Thin Lizzy,U2 and Rory Gallagher(we are not worthy) so there is a thriving rock culture here to be catered for!
    Going to send this to the BAI too!

I'm 53 - i dont mind the odd C&W song (quite liked that holidays my arse one LOL) and a bit of nathan carter OK I suppose - most of the others are so depressing about people dying or their dogs dying or something , i would rather listen to upbeat songs thanks. .. wouldn't be a massive fan now, I wouldnt buy/download the songs, wouldn't go to a C&W concert - if it gets to 2pm on oceanfm and i cannot get up to turn over the station i will leave it on (as much as I can bare) andnd then turn it over to another station .. same at 7pm

I dont know if the audience is there , but if they reckon theres is such a big audience in the northwest for C&W then maybe Ocean should run 2 local radio stations for Sligo and the northwest - one that plays C&W 24 all day and another one on another fm frequency with modern up to date and some 60's 70's wide range of hits - with local news/sport/travel all throughout the day

If RTE can have a classical station on nationwide FM then surely there is room for a diverse range of music stations,Rock or Jazz,like in the UK!
    RTE should get presenters and advertisers on their Gold station and get that on FM too!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I am hoping they dont. I always thought it was a little treat to start tuning in around Mullingar to get some decent music on the way to Dublin, then got an Internet radio, and thought great, decent music all the time.

Unfortunetly, I think they have got a bit commerical of late, and too mainstream, Sundays re probably the best time to listen too now. A nationwide Licence, means they would have to appeal to the masses, and lose whats left of the niche they have.

In relation to Ocean and the reporting of todays accidents on the Duel Carriageway, and in Drumcliff, I thought they were quite informative, although wasn't paying attention after 9/9.30am, so could have gone down hill then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Black Bart

Ocean FM by far is a better radio station than NWR ever was, NWR played funeral music as far as I can remember, Ocean FM isn't too bad, although I only listen to it in the morning, Kevin Blessing (not sure if that's correct spelling) is ok early in the morning, but Margaret Carr Flynn doesn't really do much to make you listen in, Niall Delaney is excellent at 9am but again Margaret Carr Flynn again adds nothing to the programme, don't get me wrong, I am sure she is a fine upstanding person and fantastic producer but she's not great as a presenter.

The Francie Boylan Show @ 11am is a hit or miss, if Francie is presenting the programme himself I tend to tune into Today FM instead, Michelle is not too bad, however I think that David makes that programme and attracts a lot of listeners, the radio stays on when he is co-presenting the programme, sorry Francie, just saying it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Yeah I’d agree Andy I don’t think Ocean FM did much to rock the boat when they took over from NWR and Paul Claffey et al. One and the same really.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

In general I'm not a big fan of Ocean FM, I tuned out when they hit the "Country" button in the afternoon. Its "popular" Irish Country which to be honest I find nauseating.

However, credit where credit is due. Ocean FM is a valuable community service. (Incidentally they have 49% of the regional listenership, the rest is divided between Lyric, RTE 1 2 FM etc). So they know what they are at. And to give Paul Kelly his due, he's good at what he does. But not for me.

Niall Delaney is one of the best presenters in the business. Ocean are lucky to have him, he could give the national prime time presenters a run for their money.

David has brought back the fun into mid morning, and I do tune in when he's on. Francie Boylan again is a very natural presenter and with Michelle the balance is there, she adds a nice spice to the mix.

Francie and David, the Abbott and Costello of local radio. A stroke of luck with that pairing, no doubt brought a lot of listeners back in.

Ocean FM are streets ahead when compared to other regional radio stations.

For music, Seamie Mac is top quality. I always know when he's on by the music he plays. I'd stay tuned to his playlist any day of the week.

So credit where credit is due. The focus on country is not for me, but Ocean is a very good station, it is what it is. We'd miss it if it was off the air.

Do you know who else I like on OceanFM is Andrew Mooney - he normally does late night slots around 10pm (the wave I think its called) .. well he has been also sitting in on the afternoon show on some weekdays . He's good, a good presenter friendly enough, picks good music for the show he is presenting (if he actually personally picks the music) and as an added bonus he gives a little bit of trivia after he has played a song (so he might say things like "that was a song from Cher and number one on this day in 1986" ) or things like that , and it makes the show interesting. But as I say most time he seems to be shoved to the night time slot (whether thats of his own choice or not I dont know) but i will leave it tuned to OceanFM if he is on because he is a really good presenter.

Ex Ocean dj Mike Maloney who lives in Sligo is back on the airwaves with RTÈ Gold from today with a 70s show,8am to 9am

Ex Ocean dj Mike Maloney who lives in Sligo is back on the airwaves with RTÈ Gold from today with a 70s show,8am to 9am

ah right shall have to check that out.

They have a DJ on OceanFM at the moment called Andy (he sounds British) standing in for the afternoon slot I think, dont think he is a permenant fixture at the station which is a shame because he is quite good and has a good show going .

even when doing the roadworks he does be saying "Shannon Eighter" just like the Irish do :D "Shannon Eidther"

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

ah right shall have to check that out.

They have a DJ on OceanFM at the moment called Andy (he sounds British) standing in for the afternoon slot I think, dont think he is a permenant fixture at the station which is a shame because he is quite good and has a good show going .

even when doing the roadworks he does be saying "Shannon Eighter" just like the Irish do :D "Shannon Eidther"

Yes he's very good. Sounds very experienced and has a good relaxed way about him. I'd say he has a good career ahead of him. I'd hate to think he'd be made to play country ****e. I'll tune in to hear what he's playing. When is he next on Andy?

Yes he's very good. Sounds very experienced and has a good relaxed way about him. I'd say he has a good career ahead of him. I'd hate to think he'd be made to play country ****e. I'll tune in to hear what he's playing. When is he next on Andy?

Tomorrow at 4pm I think

Advertisement