Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sligo/Leitrim General Election! 2015/2016?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Focus_sligo

Agree to all of that post above. He has never been silent throughout his term in the dail!
    Just because the mainstream media don't report his contributions doesn't mean he doesn't contribute!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mano79

What does everyone make of the news that Finbar Finan is going running for Renua. Maybe he is oblivious to the anger out there against greedy developers who were so busy buying land they couldn't see what was ahead of them. Probably better if he doesnt canvas around the Dromahair area :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

mano79 wrote: »
    What does everyone make of the news that Finbar Finan is going running for Renua. Maybe he is oblivious to the anger out there against greedy developers who were so busy buying land they couldn't see what was ahead of them. Probably better if he doesnt canvas around the Dromahair area :p:p

I have respect for anybody who puts their name forward for election, so if he calls to my door I'll politely tell him that I will not, under any circumstances be giving him any vote, not even a low preference.

Can't see him getting more than 1,000 votes, if he even gets that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Finbar Finan ??
    Who is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

What percentage did SF get in the last election? I'd say if FF had only put one candidate forward SF may not have got that seat. I don't think it is wise for SF to put two candidates forward. Is it a ego think like in Cork or do they really think they can get two seats? I think FF will get a seat, they did alright in the locals. FG should get a seat too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I have respect for anybody who puts their name forward for election, so if he calls to my door I'll politely tell him that I will not, under any circumstances be giving him any vote, not even a low preference.

Can't see him getting more than 1,000 votes, if he even gets that.

Can't see him getting his deposit back tbh.

6781 wrote: »
    What percentage did SF get in the last election? I'd say if FF had only put one candidate forward SF may not have got that seat. I don't think it is wise for SF to put two candidates forward. Is it a ego think like in Cork or do they really think they can get two seats? I think FF will get a seat, they did alright in the locals. FG should get a seat too.

13.5% in the old Sligo/North Leitrim in the last election while the party was on 10% nationally.

SF in this part of the country generally get about 3% more than what the part gets nationally. Given the new constituency it'll probably be about 4% more this time.

There'll be a seat each for SF, FF and FG with one of those also taking the last seat.

FG would be the favourites to take two in my opinion.

The constituency is too big for an Independent to win unless they had a profile like Marian Harkin, which none of them do.

It'll take a party machine to get anybody elected here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

mano79 wrote: »

In my opinion anyone having declared bankruptcy should still be kicked out of the Dáil, or not allowed run in the first place (law was overturned last year), whether or not you agree, there's a strong opinion in Sligo/Leitrim that he shafted a hell of a lot of people in the area, and now he's relying on the same peoples votes. Good luck, another nail in the Renua coffin if you ask me.

Latest declared candidate is Nigel Gallagher of People Before Profit

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

It'd be dangerous to over estimate the strength of the SF vote in Leitrim...Micheal Colreavy got elected on a personal vote last time, and Martin Kenny has performed poorly in his election runs in Roscommon-South Leitrim in the last couple of years, granted without much of a support base in Roscommon.

For this reason, I think SF are covering their ass by running the 2nd candidate, and this will torpedo Kenny's chance of getting a seat, instead using his vote to get numbers 2's for the Sligo or Donegal SF candidate. On a bad day however, the strategy could backfire on them and they could lose what would've been a safe Colreavy seat. Personally, I think the first two seats will go McSharry and the Sligo FG candidate, and the last two seats will be a close battle between one each for SF, FG, FF, and a possible Independent candidate yet to declare, possibly from Michael Fitzmaurice's grouping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Latest declared candidate is Nigel Gallagher of People Before Profit

Who or what is this guy never herd of him where is he from?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

NIgel Gallagher?

He has his work cut out. Had to go on Shannonside FM to make himself known!

http://www.shannonside.ie/news/sligo-leitrim-people-before-profit-candidate-points-to-huge-shift-towards-left/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Former councillor Chris MacManus selected tonight as second Sinn Fein candidate. .

So far we have:

Cllr Martin Kenny (SF)
    Chris MacManus (SF)
    Cllr Marie Casserly (Ind)
    Finbarr Filan (Renua)
    Nigel Gallagher (PBP)
    Sen. Marc MacSharry (FF)
    Cllr Eamonn Scanlon (FF)

Labour and Fine Gael yet to select.

Former councillor Chris MacManus selected tonight as second Sinn Fein candidate. .

So far we have:

Cllr Martin Kenny (SF)
    Chris MacManus (SF)
    Cllr Marie Casserly (Ind)
    Finbarr Filan (Renua)
    Nigel Gallagher (PBP)
    Sen. Marc MacSharry (FF)
    Cllr Eamonn Scanlon (FF)

Labour and Fine Gael yet to select.

Think Des Guckian might have declare himself as welll. Ind councilllor in Leitrim and ran in the by-election in Roscommon South Leitrim last year

Think Des Guckian might have declare himself as welll. Ind councilllor in Leitrim and ran in the by-election in Roscommon South Leitrim last year
    He's already been around Nth Sligo delivering his literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Davy P

red sean wrote: »
    He's already been around Nth Sligo delivering his literature.

Des Guckian , although been asked on a weekly basis, still hasn't declared if he going to run . Keeping everyone guessing I guess. Also chance of third FF candidate to run, from Leitrim .

Davy P wrote: »
    Des Guckian , although been asked on a weekly basis, still hasn't declared if he going to run . Keeping everyone guessing I guess. Also chance of third FF candidate to run, from Leitrim .

I'd say that it's likely they will run three.
    FG will probably run three as well

Susan O'Keefe officially selected last night.

Cannon fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Susan O'Keefe officially selected last night.

Cannon fodder.

I heard on Ocean FM something along the lines of Labour pointing out that they had a huge involvement in the marriage referendum. Fair play to them.

I sure as hell wont be putting any preference near a FG, FF or Lab candidate no matter my opinion of the work they do locally. I'm also ltting everyone I know to do the same unless of course you want the same unless of course they happy with the crowd in charge!

I heard on Ocean FM something along the lines of Labour pointing out that they had a huge involvement in the marriage referendum. Fair play to them.

Labour did? That'll be news to a lot of Sligo and North Leitrim volunteers who done incredible work for months. Labour head office paid for posters to be erected. I didn't see or hear from any local labour doing anything passed that.

Only one Sligo based candidate, who has announced, was involved with supporting the yes equality campaign locally. Can't speak for Martin Kenny, I don't know if he canvassed or pushed for a yes. Chris MacManus did a lot of work though and it's frustrating to watch others now latch on and make spurious claims.
    Should he be selected to re-run, John Perry canvassed more than once and did help out a lot more than others. Michael Colreavy did also but he's not running again so not entirely relevant here.

Susan O'Keefe or others claiming to have been involved, or playing an integral role, would do well to remember their effort rather than words in the run up to May 22nd.

Ocean FM also mentioned it was a 'small' gathering of Labour. I'm genuinely curious how many members they have in Sligo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Davy P

McCartin will not run for election , who will FG fun now ???
    FF still cant find leitrim candidate !!!!

Curious to hear what people think will be the biggest election issues locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

As it's a national general election, Sligo issues won't be directly relevant.

For me:

unemployment still too high

price level - too high, comm rents and energy prices - not enough done here to reduce costs

welfare spending too high - not enough done to move LT unemployed back to participation

housing - FG/Lab too slow to remove barriers to more construction

Public transport - too much car use, especially in cities, not enough done to encourage modal shift

Health - why is a GP 50 euro in Irl and 25 in France? The waiting times target was increased from 12 months to 18 months, it's 18 weeks in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭iamnotme

Sums up the Irish Electorate. "Oh theres an overhanging tree up the road, what if the acorn falls off". Or "Oh there was a pothole on the lane nobody uses so i got the local yokel TD to fix it". Take a look at the people running your country.

iamnotme wrote: »
    Sums up the Irish Electorate

Does it? Both you and the poster above misunderstood what I actually posted.

Some national issues may not feature in our constituency as prominently as others. For example, water charges are guaranteed to be a major issue.
    It seems the repeal the 8th campaign is becoming more prominent. Recent stories have pushed the issue back into people's minds.

I was asking what other issues people anticipate will arise in Sligo/Leitrim. Not about the local roads/hedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

So would it be fair to say that it is one seat each for FF (McSharry), SF (McManus), and FG, with the last seat a straight shootout between a second FG candidate and Scanlon, or a strong independent who hasn't yet declared?

So would it be fair to say that it is one seat each for FF (McSharry), SF (McManus), and FG, with the last seat a straight shootout between a second FG candidate and Scanlon, or a strong independent who hasn't yet declared?

Yes, I presume

1 FG
    1 FF
    1 SF

and then a fight for the fourth seat.

Now, I'm no expert, so I could easily be wrong.

Does it? Both you and the poster above misunderstood what I actually posted.

Some national issues may not feature in our constituency as prominently as others. For example, water charges are guaranteed to be a major issue.
    It seems the repeal the 8th campaign is becoming more prominent. Recent stories have pushed the issue back into people's minds.

I was asking what other issues people anticipate will arise in Sligo/Leitrim. Not about the local roads/hedges.

Okay, fair enough.

High rents/housing- not really an issue in SL????

Water charges - yes I suppose so.

Retail / comm rents too high / empty shops - ????

Lack of FDI into Sligo????????

The election hasn't even been called and they have begun littering the main roads into town with their unnecessary posters. Disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Geuze wrote: »
    Retail / comm rents too high / empty shops - ????

Local Authority not a national issue. Should have been the sort of thing taken up with local election candidates last year

Advertisement