Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon 4K Fire Stick back down to £34.99

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

You're f*cking kidding me! Literally ordered one last night at full price!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

antodeco wrote: »
    You're f*cking kidding me! Literally ordered one last night at full price!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Cancel and re-order? Or, to be fair, Amazon are usually sound if you ask them to refund difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭td1

Got one of these at Christmas. Amazon say can't use it in Ireland - geoblocking?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

dulpit wrote: »
    Cancel and re-order? Or, to be fair, Amazon are usually sound if you ask them to refund difference...
    And if its already shipped just get on to chat with your sob story and they'll give yo a voucher for the difference, they always sort you out.

Just emailed there. Will see what they say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Is the 4k one much of a step up, i have the normal one and it's pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Have you a generation one model? Cos yeah they're pretty cat alright, but the next models up are nothing to complain about, would certainly give your average Chinese android box a run for its money.

The 4k one, for its price is pretty much the best value for money streaming device available.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I bought a 4k for the auld lad and took his first gen one home with me last time, the difference is night and day, the first gen is a stuttering mess even after factory reset, it cant even scroll through menus smoothly or maintain any kind of stream without getting hung up, the 4k does everything you tell it to instantly, instantly like you were changing the channels on a tv. I wish someone would release a rom or hack to take them back to pure Android though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,899 ✭✭✭dodzy

Yes, world of difference. One android box redundant since it arrived. Not the shield though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dj_louth

Which is better this or a Chromecast which is about 2 years old?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Not comparable at all.

A Chromecast isn't an android box, so it's a stupid question.

This will do much more than a Chromecast would.

RossieMan wrote: »
    A Chromecast isn't an android box, so it's a stupid question.

Bit harsh.

To answer the question, they are 2 different devices, but based on your question can do similar things. Chromecast requires another device to stream to the Chromecast, versus the firestick is all contained on one device, making it handier. After that, the firestick does alot more as it's effectively a self contained "android device", so you can install more apps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Is bargain alerts the place to ask what a product is for?

If you don't know, it's not for you.
    Might be harsh alright, but every single BA thread related to anything technology related turns into a "can you set this up for me" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Same story here!
    Got onto customer service last night though and managed to cancel order, get refund in form of amazon gift card and have reordered now at cheaper price.

Fair play amazon.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Is bargain alerts the place to ask what a product is for?

If you don't know, it's not for you.
    Might be harsh alright, but every single BA thread related to anything technology related turns into a "can you set this up for me" thread.

There's a difference between "can you set this up for me" versus "which of these products is better". An answer to the question would be one post versus multiple posts discussing why it isint one post, detailing the thread more. Anyway, the question was answered and we're not helping the thread by discussing this. I accept we differ on our opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Anyone looking for a streaming device should get this. I've an Apple TV3, and the most recent Roku & Chromecast's, got this in the Black Friday sale and it's far and away the best of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tyres

Is it possible to stream any sort of live TV with this device?? Recently added a half decent TV to the kitchen and was wondering instead of getting additional Sky Box could this stream any channels such as Saorview channels or UTV......

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have the 4K and non 4K and the benefit of the 4K, other than being 4K as well, is the volume buttons. It's annoying using the other one when often streams start in varying volumes so you have to keep another remote nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jhammer

Have a first generation fire stick but might upgrade as its a nice offer. I don't have a 4k TV so wont get the full benefit but from what I've read its still a step up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Invincible

long_b wrote: »

Great value, bought that version with remote without volume control last December for £16 odd from Amazon. Have android box's but this is great with apks installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭AhhHere

Going to pull the trigger on this. Is it recommended to get the Ethernet adaptor to link directly to router? or is workable on WiFi only? I live in Dublin CC with good broadband so no issues of it dropping

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

God sake ye convinced me, another purchase i dont need along with a logitech remote and record player. ;)

AhhHere wrote: »
    Going to pull the trigger on this. Is it recommended to get the Ethernet adaptor to link directly to router? or is workable on WiFi only? I live in Dublin CC with good broadband so no issues of it dropping

I purchased the ethernet adapter as my modem is 1 foot to the side of my TV. Plus, I'll be using Netflix on another 2 devices via WiFi, potentially at the same time (iPad and Chromecast) so want to reduce the amount of WiFi bandwidth being used (I already have an IPtv setup over Ethernet and 3 x IP Cameras over WiFi).

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

AhhHere wrote: »

I got this on AliExpress. Does the job and took 3 weeks to come:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32946837985.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Berty wrote: »
    I have the 4K and non 4K and the benefit of the 4K, other than being 4K as well, is the volume buttons. It's annoying using the other one when often streams start in varying volumes so you have to keep another remote nearby.

Standard on all firesticks now (not just 4k) since Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

AS1890 wrote: »
    I got this on AliExpress. Does the job and took 3 weeks to come:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32946837985.html

Does it deffo work with the 4K stick as one review on the product list said it didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

Does it deffo work with the 4K stick as one review on the product list said it didn't work.

Sorry not 100% about about 4K but I wouldn't see it being an issue. One TV in the house is on an opposite corner to the router so I had to use an Ethernet adapter. Works perfect on Firestick 2 & Chromecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

tyres wrote: »
    Is it possible to stream any sort of live TV with this device?? Recently added a half decent TV to the kitchen and was wondering instead of getting additional Sky Box could this stream any channels such as Saorview channels or UTV......

Definitely, yes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement