Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I have a growing resentment for Fine Gael similar to the one I had with Fianna Fail when Bertie was there...
    Who to vote for in the next GE...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Still waiting on a reply to this.
    What does it even mean?

He means that you were unemployed once and therefore a waster in his eyes.

This is a fella who believes that we don't have a housing crisis so I wouldn't pay much attention. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

nuac wrote: »
    Looking at those swings - they seem to be only 15 inches at most from the floor.

Unless one were standing up on the boards, hard to see how any serious injury, or indeed any injury could be sustained.

I dont know- those swings look like they could cause a serious amount of credibility damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

mikemac2 wrote: »
    New pub named the Dutch Billy? Oooh controversial. Drinks promotions on July 12th? Will be a gay bar for sure like King Billy himself ;)

A Dutch Billy is a type of building that was common in certain parts of Dublin and more widespread on the Continent. It has its gable on the front of the building rather than the side. Thats the way I might describe it.

http://irisharchaeology.ie/2012/03/dublins-forgotten-buildings-the-dutch-billy/

McKillen is from West Belfast but not from a poor family. They relocated to Dublin in the early seventies and opened DC exhausts. i think that made him money when no one else had any.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So the bould Maria actually shows up for work today after a three week absence, nice of her to grace us with her presence. Anyone else thinking that Leo is going to bottle this decision to throw her out of the party? Id say he is hoping to sweep the entire matter under the carpet and then just pray like mad that the tape doesnt get leaked, which is exactly what the FGers on here want to happen too.

If he does not act on an insurance fraudster in his own party then voters are going to take note. But at the moment it looks like the most likely outcome of this sorry mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I stand corrected and educated, interesting article , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So the bould Maria actually shows up for work today after a three week absence, nice of her to grace us with her presence. Anyone else thinking that Leo is going to bottle this decision to throw her out of the party? Id say he is hoping to sweep the entire matter under the carpet and then just pray like mad that the tape doesnt get leaked, which is exactly what the FGers on here want to happen too.

If he does not act on an insurance fraudster in his own party then voters are going to take note. But at the moment it looks like the most likely outcome of this sorry mess.

Screenshot-2019-06-12-21-31-38-983-com-android-chrome.jpg

I wondered how she needed plasters from polished wood tbh?

Can you put a plaster on a bruised ego?

The seeking of plasters was the initiation of her declaration of injury. Where I used to work the First Aid cabinet required a logging of dispensing items within, which included name of recipient and date. You were not (except in life threatening emergency) allowed to apply plasters to the public. Madigan or her ilk would be well versed in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

So she lodges a dodgy claim, uproar, withdraws it, gets 3 weeks holidays and then back to her job.

Instead of her claim her base gross TD salary for 3 weeks off (outside Dail holiday which is soon) is €5,453, plus her chairpersons allowance, its almost like the taxpayers are paying the claim for her

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

I wondered how she needed plasters from polished wood tbh?

Can you put a plaster on a bruised ego?

If your humanity has been crossed you will try anything - Knock, Croagh Patrick, Lough Derg - the works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,783 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

This story has reached a critical peak that if it is now ignored a few articles like this when an election comes will do significant damage. Manna from heaven for opposition parties.

https://www.northernsound.ie/local-businesses-close-due-fraudulent-insurance-claims/?fbclid=IwAR1VxA_8o5jxYUOCkaaD5qyWLbo5tees-r6xjGyQhcErpeF2ReleCfmTBH0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

This story has reached a critical peak that if it is now ignored a few articles like this when an election comes will do significant damage. Manna from heaven for opposition parties.

https://www.northernsound.ie/local-businesses-close-due-fraudulent-insurance-claims/?fbclid=IwAR1VxA_8o5jxYUOCkaaD5qyWLbo5tees-r6xjGyQhcErpeF2ReleCfmTBH0
    As bad as she is, she doesn't condone murderers and child abusers...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I'm thinking this is a sign of forgiveness from the party..

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/maria-bailey-returns-to-work-amid-controversial-swing-fall-compensation-case-38212002.html

The 2 week enquiry must be up, have the Party just let it go?

JeffKenna wrote: »

What? JESUS, No one does!

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said he cannot commit to publishing the awaited report into the Maria Bailey 'swing-gate' controversy.

"Speaking in Dublin today, Mr Varadkar said he has yet to receive the report and will have to consider privacy issues in determining whether its appropriate to release it.

Senior Counsel David Kennedy was asked by the party to “establish the facts” around Ms Bailey's personal injuries case against the Dean Hotel, which caused significant controversy in the run up to the local and European elections.

The Taoiseach said: “I have to see it first, and bear in mind there is an issue of due process here. This is an internal party inquiry, not a public inquiry, but I would have to see it first really, and I haven't yet.”

“I haven't yet, but once I do will let you know."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/this-is-an-internal-party-matter--taoiseach-may-not-publish-maria-bailey-swing-gate-report-930317.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I'm thinking this is a sign of forgiveness from the party..

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/maria-bailey-returns-to-work-amid-controversial-swing-fall-compensation-case-38212002.html

The 2 week enquiry must be up, have the Party just let it go?

No read the article FFS.

No read the article FFS.

Well read it then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Nothing will happen here, FG as is their true arrogant nature, will brazen it out, the report like many others will be delayed until the public are perceived to have lost interest and they will carry on as before we will probably never hear much from the report...and like Leinster rugby..everything has been sorted to the satisfaction of both parties type spin will be put on the story.

Leo and co can't afford to lose tds, the numbers are not good for them and there are 4 by elections coming up.....that will top any public interest...the spin is already starting with internal party matter nonsense.

This is how FG does things

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The carpet is lifted, Leo has the brush out he’s just waiting until everyone is looking elsewhere.
    They don’t have the numbers to have principles.

tototoe wrote: »
    Nothing will happen here, FG as is their true arrogant nature, will brazen it out, the report like many others will be delayed until the public are perceived to have lost interest and they will carry on as before we will probably never hear much from the report...and like Leinster rugby..everything has been sorted to the satisfaction of both parties type spin will be put on the story.

Leo and co can't afford to lose tds, the numbers are not good for them and there are 4 by elections coming up.....that will top any public interest...the spin is already starting with internal party matter nonsense.

This is how FG does things

I don't think they'll be allowed to sweep it under the rug.

The Indo won't let them, voters will be reminded about it every farts end

From this morning's Indo.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/maria-bailey-back-at-work-as-fine-gael-awaits-review-of-swing-claim-38215345.html
    Fine Gael TD Maria Bailey has returned as chairperson of the Oireachtas Housing Committee, while the party awaits the outcome of an internal review into a personal injuries claim she took against a hotel.

The Dún Laoghaire representative chaired the committee yesterday, as Focus Ireland and the Ombudsman for Children outlined the impact that homelessness is having.

Ms Bailey's colleague Alan Farrell, who has also been at the centre of a compensation controversy, took up a similarly prominent role in Leinster House yesterday as acting chair of the D.

Fine Gael has faced a backlash as a result of legal cases pursued by the two TDs.

This bit is gold.

Asked whether he would publish it, the Taoiseach said: "I'll have to see it first. There is an issue of due process here. This is an internal party inquiry, not a public inquiry. I'd have to see it first and I haven't yet."

Roughly translated, if it's as bad as we all think it is, and if Madigans paws are all over it, we'll do our best to STFU about it, and remind the plebs that insurance fraud is only bad when you great unwashed do it.

CCTV footage is still in existence Leo. ��

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/the-great-motor-insurance-ripoff-profits-jump-1300pc-for-insurance-firms-38215319.html

“Insurance companies have enjoyed a profits surge from covering homes, drivers and businesses.

Profits have jumped by a staggering 1,300pc, despite the country being gripped by an insurance crisis.

New figures from the industry show 17 general insurers in this market made combined operating profits of €227m in 2017, the latest date for overall data on the sector.

These profits were up from €16m in 2016, according to Insurance Ireland - equal to a rise of 1,318pc.

Motor cover proved hugely profitable in 2017.

The 17 domestic non-life insurers made combined profits of €125m from private and commercial motorists”

As I said yesterday, claims are not the sole reason for hikes in insurance but people will believe everything they read and of course have to blame Maria Bailey for everything.

But there is no appetite for sensible discussion here, only snide smart sniggering insults.

I expect the usual responses.

And I stick to what I said, won’t be voting FG until she is gone.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Insurance, the only business you cannot make losses in.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

sydthebeat wrote: »

Tell that to Sean Quinn.

Wheeliebin wrote:
    As I said yesterday, claims are not the sole reason for hikes in insurance but people will believe everything they read and of course have to blame Maria Bailey for everything.

No one is saying that Maria Bailey is solely to blame for insurance hikes, they're saying that it's partly due to the likes of her, Farrell, and other Gougers/compo culture cretins that are helping to drive the hikes up, she and her ilk are responsible for legislation surrounding insurance etc, yet they're gaming the system. They're public representatives, and Bailey said her self in her interview that that meant she should be held to a higher standard than the other Gougers on the street.

let me know what part of that is confusing you?
    But there is no appetite for sensible discussion here, only snide smart sniggering insults.

Who's insulting you?

Sorry for the cliche, but just repeating something over and over again doesn't mean it's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/the-great-motor-insurance-ripoff-profits-jump-1300pc-for-insurance-firms-38215319.html

“Insurance companies have enjoyed a profits surge from covering homes, drivers and businesses.

Profits have jumped by a staggering 1,300pc, despite the country being gripped by an insurance crisis.

New figures from the industry show 17 general insurers in this market made combined operating profits of €227m in 2017, the latest date for overall data on the sector.

These profits were up from €16m in 2016, according to Insurance Ireland - equal to a rise of 1,318pc.

Motor cover proved hugely profitable in 2017.

The 17 domestic non-life insurers made combined profits of €125m from private and commercial motorists”

How do you think Allan Farrell should be dealt with?

sydthebeat wrote: »

Bookies would have been the one I would have went for, but then Ivan Yates sprung to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

They should do what FF do - they leave the party but then continue as de facto FG'ers and in the future sure they slip back in when nobody is paying attention. It's called 'The Marty Whelan Strategy'.

Be still me beatin' heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,783 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

JeffKenna wrote: »

Has Leo done an Enda yet and deflected to SF? Seems it's on the cards. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Ten Pin wrote: »

Politicians Vs Barristers where are the INLA when you want them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Very selective quoting with a FG slant:
    article wrote:
    However, insurers made losses on liability insurance, which is what covers businesses when they are sued. Few insurers in this market are prepared to cover public liability and employer liability, forcing firms and charities to seek cover from the UK.

The cost of liability cover and the reluctance of the industry here to cover this market is forcing the closure of businesses, job losses and the cancellation of festivals.

This is pretty much what I said a few days ago.

You also left out the bit where insurers made operating losses in the 5 years to 2017.

This has more to do with a good year investing on the markets which is rare.

Also this is garbage from a guy from "The Alliance" , clearly a rabbler with little knowledge of the industry:
    article wrote:
    Peter Boland of the Alliance said: "This figure has distorted performance in the past."

He said the Central Bank forced insurers to bump up their reserves in 2015. Insurers will now find they have over-reserved and will be able to boost their profits by writing these back.

The losses made on liability insurance were questioned. "How can losses on employers' liability be so high when workplace fatalities are at the lowest since records began?"

Payouts for fatalities are way way way lower than for people who suffered serious life changing injuries.

Also if the Central Bank say your reserves are too low and have to be increased its not a piggy bank like in Quinn, they must be kept at this level to pay claims.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement