Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philomena Lynott RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Personally I think they were a middling rock band with a few hits, some good some awful, and because they were Irish they're overhyped to bejesus like we do with everything. They're probably about as significant as 10cc outside of Ireland, a band I really like but I t won't be remembered for too long.

First Rock band to make it internationally, plus a black man from Ireland doing anything was novel

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Wake up

I am

Finally she is with Phil again. RIP.

I don’t think that really happens
    Please tell me, have you ever read the published flatulence of Messrs. Dawkins or Hitchens?

I'd love to read more about your original views on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

RIP. Her boy had an amazing grasp of that bass guitar. Back when hands on musical ability was almost a prerequisite? Before you even opened your goddamned mouth

Which of course he did too in becoming this iconic rock frontman. Adapted well to white culture, of course now it’s the opposite but yeah RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Was Phil Lynott that good? Or was it just that he died early?

He was that good, and died early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Thin Lizzy were brilliant at their peak, but Phil's career had stalled by the 80s. It didn't help that rock went out of fashion for a while and the charts were totally dominated by pop.

Thin lizzy were a lot better than the boomtown rats, I wasn't even born during their heyday but I'd listen to several of their hits, plus old town is a great tune

Strazdas wrote: »
    Thin Lizzy were brilliant at their peak, but Phil's career had stalled by the 80s. It didn't help that rock went out of fashion for a while and the charts were totally dominated by pop.

He was an old fashioned rocker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I'm not one for lying about a person to make them sound good because they died, but it's nice to note their passing without being a c**t about it.

I disagree . It's better to know the full truth.
    I didn't really know of this woman so this thread is fascinating to me to see the different stories good and the no so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I couldn’t care less about who she is or if she’s dead or not - I just found it odd that the woman was all over the place going on about her son. No other dead pop stars mother did the same to me it seemed like she craved attention. Why do any of us even know who she is?

Well, she may have had conflicting feelings. I recently read an interview with John Bowman where he talked about how much he missed his son but that he still sometimes feels cross at him for leaving himself so vulnerable that he died needlessly. Emotions are messy.

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    She had a strong dislike of Gary Moore too for some reason which I found unnecessary.

Maybe it was because he was a far superior musician to Phil.
    Jealousy can be a cruel bedfellow.

May she rest in peace.

Charges of envy tend to be inane at the best of times. And the above isn’t the best of times...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I don’t think rock went out so much as older acts in trying to adapt truly embarrassing themselves. My recommendation to most of the rock ‘dinosaurs’ would have been take it easy, don’t try to remain relevant just enjoy your 40s and come back in the 90s when the new wave craze has died down and you have more value as vintage act. But they just couldn’t do it and so much cheese ensued

• Registered Users Posts: 71,500 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

RIP Philomena

Apologies for going slightly off-topic, but...is it pronounced Lie-nott or Lin-nott (Lin rhyming with gin)?

Heard both variations across the radio today.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Has Metallica gone home yet? Sure the removal will probably be tomorrow evening, they might hang around for it!

They've already played another gig in Holland

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

wait a minute, was her son named after her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

As always, all the weirdos come out to play in AH.

Weird? No.

Miserable, sad people who feel the need to jump into an RIP thread in order to speak ill of a woman and proud mother whom by all accounts was well liked and clearly adored her son? Yes.

RIP Philomena.

I hope they’re somewhere together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

RIP Philomena

Apologies for going slightly off-topic, but...is it pronounced Lie-nott or Lin-nott (Lin rhyming with gin)?

On RTE news today they said that she herself pronounced it Lie nott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Badmouthing an old lady is nearly as cool and edgy as hating U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,678 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

FFred wrote: »

I can't stand U2, it's Bono's voice and their rehashed sound. How is that edgy or cool pray tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

RIP Philomena

It was always pronounced Lin-nott here before the Lie-nott thing arose.

Lie-nott maybe correct but he will always be known as Lin-nott to people from that era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I've had a listen to some of his solo stuff and think that if he hadn't died so young, he could've gone on to do some interesting things. Yellow Pearl isn't the greatest thing he ever did but it's quite a departure from Whiskey in the Jar. Thin Lizzy I can take or leave.

adox wrote: »
    It was always pronounced Lin-nott here before the Lie-nott thing arose.

Lie-nott maybe correct but he will always be known as Lin-nott to people from that era.

Surnames can have different pronunciations in different parts of the country. If she pronounced it Lie-nott, that must have been the pronunciation she was raised with. Lin-nott may have taken hold in the public consciousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Surnames can have different pronunciations in different parts of the country. If she pronounced it Lie-nott, that must have been the pronunciation she was raised with. Lin-nott may have taken hold in the public consciousness.

Like how a certain German supermarket chain will always be Liddle no matter how often they advertise it as "Leedle" :D

She was a brave woman to keep her baby in those days, especially a coloured one. May she Rest In Peace.

I gotta be honest (and I hope folks'll be honest too when I go into the earth too) but I thought she was a horrible person.

She always promoted Phil, and for many, many years she spoke of being a single mother to Phil, and how difficult it was...

Never mentioned she had 2 other children who are still alive, a boy and a girl. Nor did she mention Phil was only told of one sibling, and not the other. (Phil's Sister shares a father with him, but the son is from a different relationship). Nor did she mention she never visited her grandkids, and didn't have a relationship with them.

And there was no mention of her other children in many obituaries... all about Phil. Probably the way she wanted it.

Cruel woman.

Weren’t those children put up for adoption? I’m not sure I’d say much about them either.

wait a minute, was her son named after her?

Oh ffs

They've already played another gig in Holland

Dont think they'll come for it? Unless they get their private jet over?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,243 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

She was a brave woman to keep her baby in those days, especially a coloured one. May she Rest In Peace.

Seemed strange that she put the other 2 kids she had up for adoption and kept Phil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Please tell me, have you ever read the published flatulence of Messrs. Dawkins or Hitchens?

I'd love to read more about your original views on the matter.
    They just said they don't "think" that happens. What's wrong with that?
    Circuital wrote: »
    Weird? No.

Miserable, sad people who feel the need to jump into an RIP thread in order to speak ill of a woman and proud mother whom by all accounts was well liked and clearly adored her son? Yes.

RIP Philomena.

I hope they’re somewhere together.
    FFred wrote: »
    Well having nothing to do with her children/grandchildren isn't great form.

Advertisement