Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your scene?

Options
  • 17-11-2019 3:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

Probably unbeknownst to me, I was part of the indie music scene.

I know a few Ska heads but I'd have loved to be part of the Glam Rock scene or Motown!!!

What's your scene? :cool: :p:D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭2pacshakur

Nor making stupid threads is my scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

2pacshakur wrote: »

Awh you should! Or perhaps you could make some really smart threads...just scan some news outlets, there's plenty of garbage you'd could revel in

And if all else fails there's always ...Dole thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Techno icon14.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Music festivals and gigs.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Music festivals and gigs.

We all like that bodhran..but what genre/scene do you tend to attract yourself to most though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Rastabilly skank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I just stay on it, like a sex machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Indie kid through my teens and early 20’s.. then I started to enjoy expanding my horizons to Reggae, soul, punk and a lot more besides...

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I just stay on it, like a sex machine.

Stay on the scene!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Mutha

Blues.

We made ye all.

• Advertisement

Who will dance on the floor in the round

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Tammy! wrote: »
    We all like that bodhran..but what genre/scene do you tend to attract yourself to most though?

Quite a lot things, psychedelic rock, bit of prog, trad (pure drop and groups), electronica (mainly left of the field stuff, Leftfield (hahaha), Aphex Twin, Four Tet, Jon Hopkins, some punk and metal, reggae and ska too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Classic rock, blues

Quite a lot things, psychedelic rock, bit of prog, trad (pure drop and groups), electronica (mainly left of the field stuff, Leftfield (hahaha), Aphex Twin, Four Tet, Jon Hopkins, some punk and metal, reggae and ska too.

Then I like you :D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Metal, classic rock, classical, opera, trad, jazz, blues, cheesy 80s.

Was a very strange upbringing. But quite interesting......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

This weekend I’ve listened to System of a Down, Irish rappers Versatile/Outburst, UK grime & Garth Brooks...what scene is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The only music I remember liking as a kid was the original Power Rangers theme (GO GO POWER RANGERS!!), but then into my late teens I was into dance, particularly the late 90's/early 00's when I was transitioning into my 20's, Tidy boys, hard dance, trance, hard house then eventually. Slowly moved away from that in the last 10 years and into 'happy' metal, ie: Gloryhammer, Alestorm, recently Wind Rose, etc. Like most things I like, my music needs to take me away from the monotony of real life, so the music I listen to know is all fantasy based, or made up. Great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

There’s one that’s pretty happening right now but I’m going to keep church on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

This weekend I’ve listened to System of a Down, Irish rappers Versatile/Outburst, UK grime & Garth Brooks...what scene is that?

Self Conscious Eclectic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The aspie scene, tis fairly quiet, thank God

• Advertisement

The crap I come out with sometimes lol :pac:

I like a bit of Northern Soul.

I think there use to be or it appeared that if there was a shared interest in a type of music that people would group together and it was not just listening to the music but a lifestyle. You don't really see that so much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Anything from Adam Lambert to Taylor Swift... no wait, they’re in the same genre :o

Amadeus to ZZ Top! :D

Basically I just have YouTube Music do it’s thing with creating auto-playlists. It does a much better job than Spotify. I’ve no real particular genre, could listen to anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Indie/ grunge for me. I would have loved the punk scene too I think.

Podcasts.

Tammy you’ll blow out your back dancing to that stuff. Pop a knee or something I used to dance to the hi energy rock n’ roll I didn’t care as long as it was uptempo and had a good hook but now I prefer the slow sets. Power ballads, n what not but I understand we don’t all read from the same hymn sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭LeBash

Couch mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Grunge, Classic Rock and Metal.

In recent years; various film composers, and other distinctly non metal acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

80s Hardcore, got into it at about 11 years old, there was just me and two other lads from a small fishing village next to were I lived into it in school, probably the only ones in Ireland really, even the metal heads looked down their noses at us, it was too loud, too aggressive too fast for their tastes, to the uninitiated it sounded like a wall of noise or a chainsaw but to us it was music on a higher level.

I'm touching 40 now and it's still the only music I know of that has that insane energy level

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

2pacshakur wrote: »
    How is it a stupid thread? It's actually a really interesting topic. That comment just seems like snark for the sake of it, ditto the thanks it got.

Anyway, unquestionably goth (British 80s one). Not that I was around for it but had I been, it was made for me.

Love the atmospheric music of Siouxsie, Sisters of Mercy, Killing Joke, Bauhaus, The Cure etc. And the more stylish aspect of the look - medieval meets a hint of S&M. Patricia Morrison of Sisters of Mercy looked unreal imo. Plus it would have been a handy "scene" for me too as I've straight black hair and I'm pale as fook. I'm also one of those dreadful people who's not mad about the sun.

I love the look in 60s/70s movies too - like the Hammer Horror films. Those women were stunning. And even Morticia Addams and the woman who played the mother in The Munsters.

Of course it was silly and OTT at times, and very self absorbed (Sisters of Mercy were taking the piss but dunno about the others) - however a bit of theatre is fine by me!

Advertisement