Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Birthday present for boyfriend

• 20-08-2012 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right place or not so mods please feel free to move it.
    I'm trying to decide what to get my oh for his birthday in two and a half weeks. He loves boxing, but there is just so many options of what to get him and i don't just want to hand him a dvd/book etc of boxing moments. Boxing isn't something i'm really into but i do watch matches etc with him when they are on. I suppose i am just looking for the male perspective on what would mean more to a man, instead of just assuming that what i think is right, particularly seeing as it's a sport i'm not into but it is his favourite. My budget is a max of 100 quid as it's back to school week as well lol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Does he play any consoles?

What about a boxing game?

Does he actually box? What about some new training gear i.e. shorts training hoody etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks a mil :-)

Thanks listermint, but nope, he doesn't box anymore or play consoles (i'm the gamer in the relationship lol). He doesn't have time for either, which is why i'm so stumped as to what to get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

What about aftershave?
    EDIT: Or cologne? However you spell it.

That's my go to gift alright aaronjumper, and i have a bottle of his favourite for him, but i wanted to get him something a bit more personal as well. I've been through the mill the last few months and he's been there with me holding my hand through everything and i want to get him something that shows him how much i appreciate him. He doesn't like me spending my money on him (as far as he's concerned it should be the other way around) so his birthday is the perfect excuse to get him something without him being able to say boo about it lol.

• Advertisement

Hmmmm. . . what about a nice shirt?
    A t-shirt with a funny slogan?
    A nice pair of shoes?

A fancy bottle of wine/whiskey etc. if he drinks.

He's one of those men that is "difficult" to buy for, i love him to bits but xmas/birthday etc i'd happily kill him lol. Clothes are def out unfortunately. I want to get him something that is just him if ya get me? Something that he has an intrest in, something related to his personal tastes. If he was any other man (as in my dad/brother) aaronjumper you're suggestions would be on the laser already :-D

Ah, my family says I'm one of those. Sorry :D
    Well aside from boxing what else is he into?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Does he travel? Why i ask is every man appreciates a good pair of headphones for travel (or at home) noise cancelling ones.

Lol. I'm the same :-)
    He's a big liverpool supporter (i draw the line at watching those matches with him though lol) and i know even less about footy than i do boxing, although i not only understand but can explain the offside rule :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Take him to a boxing match? Look into when his favorite boxers are next fighting. I went with my gf last year to see Klitschko vs Haye. Good evening out, plus you could make a weekend of it wherever it might be on.

A new Liverpool jersey!

His son got him a pair for his birthday listermint :-( lol. I was thinking maybe a new phone but his not really a "gadget man"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

My bf's birthday was last week and I bought him a signed jersey and had it framed. He loved it. In fact I am ' the best girlfriend in the world'!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Cardex

As a boxing fan, he'll love this. It's kind of a classic. Obviously check that he doesn't have it already.

Ooo jester i'm liking that idea but i'd have no idea where to check the fixtures. But as a guy would you not prefer to go to the match with a friend who is into boxing though? I have no problem going with him so long as he is enjoying himself i know i would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Buy a boxing cape, the ones boxers go into the ring with & then meet him at the door wearing that and that alone..... he'll remember that birthday present like no other :D

Oh i have that here myselfcardex brillant film, he does love that movie alright.
    Dovies do you mind me asking how much the framed and signed jersey cost you, roughly?

Think i'll save that idea for next year endabob, when the baby bump is no longer a bump and can be given away for the night lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Thumby wrote: »
    Ooo jester i'm liking that idea but i'd have no idea where to check the fixtures. But as a guy would you not prefer to go to the match with a friend who is into boxing though? I have no problem going with him so long as he is enjoying himself i know i would too.

We went as 2 couples and was good. Ring side seats were a mad price, so we were a little back. Hard to make some of the action but you will have big screens around that you can also look at. Lots of undercard fights and there were some crackers in there.

As for the tickets, you would have to find out when the fights are on and then look into who is promoting the 2 boxers. Both fighters will have a fan allocation and someone like Ticketmaster selling them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

You could get him some old boxing memorabilia - do you know his favourite boxer or anything? MY bf is a footie fan but also hard to buy for - so I got him the Liverpool jersey from the year he was born (87). Didn't mean much to me but it was a big deal to him. Have a wee look at this http://www.pugilistica.com/vibomeforsa.html
    Loads of vintage boxing bits, you could get him the poster for a significant fight, a signed glove, some original boxing artwork....?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Oh i have that here myselfcardex brillant film, he does love that movie alright.
    Dovies do you mind me asking how much the framed and signed jersey cost you, roughly?

Cost me 200 euro in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Think i'll save that idea for next year endabob, when the baby bump is no longer a bump and can be given away for the night lol

Ding Ding, Round 2

Thanks a million everyone, i'll def be able to find him something now :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Might be more suited here, moved from TGC.

Thanks panthro :-)

Advertisement