Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Funk Metal

• 04-02-2005 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Is this the right place to discuss funk metal, or should it be in the Rock/Metal forum?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Both should be appropriate.

Personally, I thought a lot of it was gick apart from some Faith No More stuff and Act III by Death Angel. A lot of that genre just annoyed the bejesus out of me and I still shiver when I recall every white funkless honky popping and slapping on a Stingray bass in Dublin in the early 90's. Everybody seemed to have one and be playing the same shyte. Dark days, let's hope we never see their likes again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

you should be in the rock/metal forum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well Funk is the first word, so it should be here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

Blisterman wrote:
    Well Funk is the first word, so it should be here.
    I agree, keep it in here. This place needs a bit of activity!
    Whats this Funk metal deal? Is it a band called "Funk Metal" or is it mixed genre Funk/Metal bands in general?

It's a style of music, most prevalent in the early 90s, mixing funk and Metal to varying degress of success. The good bands included Mordred and the aforementioned Death Angel and Faith No More efforts, countered by the questioable efforts of Atom Seed, Bootsauce, Skatenigs and some other bands who added a token funk song to their albums.

• Advertisement

• Suicidal tendencies? Didn't they attempt it too?
    Early Chili's stuff.
    It wasn't all bad..
    As a bass player, I found it helped me a lot in developing a style of play. And the fact it was metal that you could actually hear the bass in!!!:)

Ahhh yes, ST, the Lights, Camera...Revolution album. Yeah, it seemed almost everyone lashed a bit of funk into their sound which kind of killed it. Once everyone was doing it, it stopped being different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Mohanned

Funk Metal is ok. Who do you classify as Funk Metal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Faith no More, Primus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Fishbone, lots of bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭derrylahan

Slipknot's very first album Mate Kill Feed Repeat album is very along the lines of funk metal especially do nothing/ b*tchslap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement