Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais offer - One Big Switch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭torrevieja

What should people be looking for here % off , or the rate anyone care to explain plz

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Gerard93

torrevieja wrote: »
    What should people be looking for here % off , or the rate anyone care to explain plz

Regardless of the discount offered, in the end it boils down to Unit Rate and Standing Charge what is this costing you after the discounts..

Just got offer 28%/29% renewal discount on Energia. Looks like there's better value out their for switching based of their standard rates, so I have a month to shop around before contract expires - let's see if they back to me with something better in the meantime.

Just got same offer I’ll switch prob panda see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Just got same offer I’ll switch prob panda see what happens

Panda by far the worst when I looked.
    Go on bonkers and see the comparison

Panda by far the worst when I looked.
    Go on bonkers and see the comparison

Panda Power’s dual fuel discount bundle has 28% off their standard gas and electricity rates and it works out at €1463 in year one when their €125 cashback is included. You can switch to them on the Switcher website

On Bonkers :

You can save the most money on your home energy bills by taking your gas and electricity from separate suppliers.
    Save €122.16 on your electricity bills with the Panda Electricity 28% Discount tariff from Panda Power.
    Save an additional €80.37 on your gas bills with the Spring Saver tariff from Flogas Natural Gas.
    Combined savings of €202.53.
    If you prefer to have a single supplier for both gas and electricity, the best dual fuel savings are €199.28 with Panda Power. To select this tariff, click on the 'Dual fuel' option.
    Prices correct as of 7 March, 2020. Prices last changed on 27 February, 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭the goon

I was having a look last night through bonkers and it seemrd Pandapower were cheapest but looking at switcher.ie it Flogas were coming in cheapest. This was just for electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

the goon wrote: »
    I was having a look last night through bonkers and it seemrd Pandapower were cheapest but looking at switcher.ie it Flogas were coming in cheapest. This was just for electricity.

Bonkers/Switcher get paid for each new customer they sign up to a provider that they are working with. Bonkers dont seem to be working with Energia or Flogas. It is best to use these websites as a guide only. He who pays the piper.....

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Bonkers/Switcher get paid for each new customer they sign up to a provider that they are working with. Bonkers dont seem to be working with Energia or Flogas. It is best to use these websites as a guide only. He who pays the piper.....
    Cheers. Was having another look and it seems that Pandapower still have the cheapest rates against the national average (although this is factoring in the cash back of €100). This is followed very closely by Energia and Flogas.
    I m no expert though and open to correction as all I want is the cheap electricity.

the goon wrote: »
    Cheers. Was having another look and it seems that Pandapower still have the cheapest rates against the national average (although this is factoring in the cash back of €100). This is followed very closely by Energia and Flogas.
    I m no expert though and open to correction as all I want is the cheap electricity.

Just wondering are the calculations taking into account the price cuts announced by Bord Gais and esb?

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Just wondering are the calculations taking into account the price cuts announced by Bord Gais and esb?

Just off bonkers/switcher and Energia) Flogas websites.

• Advertisement

from what i can see its not about % thats the red herring

its what there charging you,

Its what Gerad93 said : it boils down to Unit Rate and Standing Charge what is this costing you after the discounts..

Based on my workings it looks like Panda Power are still coming in ahead of everybody when you factor in standing charge, unit rate, discounts and cashback. I need to change supplier and don't know anything about them but a quick google isn't promising. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with them? it looks like Iberdrola are a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Make sure bonkers etc are taking your existing discount into account. I'm with Bord Gais and have their 28% discount. But because I'm in my second year if I put my details into those sites and select the 28% discount it doesn't factor in that discount (it thinks you no longer get it) and shows an artificially high saving.

I'm going into my 3rd year with BG, I think they are great. Every 11 months they call and offer to roll over my discount for another 12 months and without having to sign a new contract. No need to switch every 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Money Guide Ireland usually has an up to date comparison against national averages - and include deals that are not often available through Bonkers, etc.

Might be worth a look for some people.

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-and-gas-cheapest-combined-prices.html

Always good to get a snapshot of your usage over the past year or so which will allow for accurate saving estimates.

Make sure bonkers etc are taking your existing discount into account. I'm with Bord Gais and have their 28% discount. But because I'm in my second year if I put my details into those sites and select the 28% discount it doesn't factor in that discount (it thinks you no longer get it) and shows an artificially high saving.

I'm going into my 3rd year with BG, I think they are great. Every 11 months they call and offer to roll over my discount for another 12 months and without having to sign a new contract. No need to switch every 12 months.

Seen that on Bonkers before that the saving seems to be calculated against the rate of you current provider without the discount. Some times it's best to go back to basics and do the calculations yourself. Currently with Energia and I find they will not match or better my discount unless I move to a new supplier at the end of 12 months. Last week they offered me 20% discount despite been on 35% currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭bergipau

thats not my experience.
    I have to threaten to leave before I get anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

bergipau wrote: »
    thats not my experience.

Weird, they have called me about 4-6 weeks before the contract was up and rolled it over. I'm not even on a 12 month contract but the discount period was due to expire in 6 weeks and they called again.

I had just been on the phone with Vodafone's retention team who were offering me a one time only deal of €10 off my €70 bill to prevent me going to Eir for €39.99!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

thats not my experience.

They have never once rang me offering anything.im with them years.not any longer.i went to flogas last night from bonkers.
    Up yours bg.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ygaurav

Sure Thing wrote: »
    They won't increase the offer until they get notification through from another supplier that you are changing.
    Once they receive that they will then come back to you to improve your terms. Within 4 days of the 14 day cool off ending they sent offer of a free Google Home plus 35% off. So switch now to someone else, takes just a minute or two online. And then hold off til the last few days before contacting Energia

Is this best offer out there?
    35% off electrivity
    34% off gas
    Free google home worth 99 euros.

I am comparing this Panda Power
    28% off electricity
    28% off gas
    125 euros cashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

Weird, they have called me about 4-6 weeks before the contract was up and rolled it over. I'm not even on a 12 month contract but the discount period was due to expire in 6 weeks and they called again.

I had just been on the phone with Vodafone's retention team who were offering me a one time only deal of €10 off my €70 bill to prevent me going to Eir for €39.99!

VF are great for that,I won't leave them, ( plamas them every time contract is up but always convinced to stay)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

ygaurav wrote: »
    35% off electrivity
    34% off gas

28% off electricity
    28% off gas
    125 euros cashback.

Don't look at the discount - look at the unit price after the discount. FloGas is coming up as cheapest unit price for me.

Interesting thread on people's experience here.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058002189&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

A bit off topic but it looks like there’s a new company weswitchyou.ie that will move you automatically to the best company every year. Haven’t tried it so don’t know anything about it.

A bit off topic but it looks like there’s a new company weswitchyou.ie that will move you automatically to the best company every year. Haven’t tried it so don’t know anything about it.

Great idea - anyone have any experience of this crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

thats not my experience.

They offered me a reduced discount. I told them I’m leaving. They said fine and didn’t offer me anything better...so I’ll change to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭suave.4u

ygaurav wrote: »
    35% off electrivity
    34% off gas

28% off electricity
    28% off gas
    125 euros cashback.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    Is there a link for this offer? thx

My contract with Energia is up at the end of the month. Can I set up a switch on switcher.ie to take place on that date now or do I have to wait until the contract is actually up? Obviously want to avoid a termination fee.

So folks my energia dual offer is up on the 10th April. anyone seen any good deals out there ?

anybody this threads gone quite last few days ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

So folks my energia dual offer is up on the 10th April. anyone seen any good deals out there ?

Depends on your usage, but as someone who only has electricity they came up best for me a couple of weeks ago. Lowest unit rate around and that's what's most relevant for me.

Advertisement