Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Everything you always wanted to know about electric vehicle (but were afraid to ask)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Or what about the Toyota ‘Self Charging’ Hybrid ad where they have wind turbines in the background....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

On Saturday 7th November 2020, the Irish EV Owners Association hosted their first virtual event of the winter season.

The theme was used electric vehicles. If you missed it, or want to watch it again, here it is in a lightly edited version with time codes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭BKtje

Hey folks, got a question on charging which I thought was fairly straight forward but I guess I was mistaken.

I wasn't sure where to put this so please let me know if I can find the answer elsewhere or if I should ask the question in another thread.

The car:
    Mercedes A 250 e (hybrid) with a 15.6KW battery (12.6 useable).

AC 22KW socket: Max rate 7.1KW
    DC 50KW socket: Max rate 22KW.

The DC was the expected charge speed but is it possible that the car is limited to 7.1 KW of power over AC while DC is 3 times that?

I haven't been able to test another plugs (quarantined) but this has been bugging me while im sitting at home. My confinement ends tomorrow so will try again but was hoping that someone knowledgeable can set be straight :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

7.1 is the limit of the AC on board charger, most phevs are only 3.6kw AC. if you plugged into a 100 kw AC power supply all you get is 7.1 kw

22 kw DC max seems right, the outlander has a max of 17 kw

The max rate on AC/DC will taper down as the battery fills up

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

BKtje wrote: »
    Hey folks, got a question on charging which I thought was fairly straight forward but I guess I was mistaken.

I wasn't sure where to put this so please let me know if I can find the answer elsewhere or if I should ask the question in another thread.

The car:
    Mercedes A 250 e (hybrid) with a 15.6KW battery (12.6 useable).

AC 22KW socket: Max rate 7.1KW
    DC 50KW socket: Max rate 22KW.

The DC was the expected charge speed but is it possible that the car is limited to 7.1 KW of power over AC while DC is 3 times that?

I haven't been able to test another plugs (quarantined) but this has been bugging me while im sitting at home. My confinement ends tomorrow so will try again but was hoping that someone knowledgeable can set be straight :)

Thanks

Yes. The battery is DC, so when you're charging via AC it goes through an AC to DC converter, which in your car is rated for 7.1kW. 7.1kW is pretty standard for AC. Some newer cars are coming with 11kW onboard AC chargers, sometimes as an optional extra.

The battery being DC, means it can charge in DC at the rate the BMS (battery management system) determines (limited to protect the battery life).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭BKtje

Thank you for the explanation.

• Advertisement

Sabre Man wrote: »

No, to the eye tracking "stabilising" software.

No, to the eye tracking "stabilising" software.

Yes, that was a mistake. It should have been off.

In this video, Guillaume goes for a long and scenic drive to test his 'winter' range. Mind you, this is winter in France, so it's not that cold, although we pretty much had the same temperatures here in Ireland recently.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That was a drive down memory lane on the road from Nantes to Saint Nazaire!!

I must have done it about 30 times in the space of about 9 months....

In this video, Peter The Scrum Doctor reviews the VW ID3 with particular focus on it's suitability for tall people and rugby equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭eagerv

From the little I know so far it appears that free parking for EVs vary from county to county. (Not sure about PHEVs)
    I know that in my two local towns Waterford offers free parking whether charging or not and Wexford free parking when charging.

Not sure about other counties, but can check on their websites or by calling them (if they answer atm:))

Edit. No registration required as far as I am aware..

• Advertisement

It varies from place to place but when it applies, it also applies to PHEVs. EasyGo charger points at many Lidl stores are also free.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I read here that city/county councils offer free parking for electric cars that are charging up

Is this still case in Galway in particular if topping up battery? (I know city is dead atm but eventually things return normal I hope)

^ this if true, also apply to plug-in hybrids?

Does one have to register with corporation and or council?

Apologies if this was discussed already...

Depends on the county. In Dublin City, you have to pay for parking and pay for the charging.

In this video, Guillaume goes back for another speed test at a V3 supercharger in France. Will he do better than in his previous attempt?

In this video, Inge tells you everything you need to know about running costs and maintenance of his Tesla Model S 75, as well as issues he has experienced during 3 years, 4 months and 26,875 km of Tesla ownership.

Alrighty, rang Galway corporation no free parking in Galway for electrics

Anyways now need to figure out which of the public charger apps to get, there seems to be a bit of fragmentation in market

Interesting. Contradicts what other posters have said previously, though that was perhaps over a year ago.

On Saturday 6th Februay 2021, the Irish EV Owners Association hosted their second virtual event. The theme for this webinar was charging infrastructure in Ireland.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hey all, didn't want to start a new thread but feel free to split out Mods if it's off topic.

Looking to but an EV, this year in a few months time, will have a 161 Fiesta 1L to trade and will have around 15k to go with it. Could maybe stretch a little more but don't really want to.

It's mainly for a commute which is 20km-60km a day, depends on the day.

Just wondering what the best options would be?

lordgoat wrote: »
    Hey all, didn't want to start a new thread but feel free to split out Mods if it's off topic.

Looking to but an EV, this year in a few months time, will have a 161 Fiesta 1L to trade and will have around 15k to go with it. Could maybe stretch a little more but don't really want to.

It's mainly for a commute which is 20km-60km a day, depends on the day.

Just wondering what the best options would be?
    Any other criteria?
    Is fiesta size still suitable for you? Any regular long drives? Have you access to home charging?

2016 fiesta? Around 8k? So 23k total.

New there's nothing, but the e208 and Corsa-e are mid 20s money as far as I know.

Second hand you've the Nissan leaf and Hyundai ioniq primarily. Both will do that range easy, and both will leave you money to spare. Both should still have a few years warranty too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Adding a home charge point will be the plan as soon as it's ordered. No real regular long drives, but would like the option to fast charge as best as possible when out. Basically minimise the amount of time charging when not at home, realistically this could be once a month if we had to pop somewhere at short notice.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    Adding a home charge point will be the plan as soon as it's ordered. No real regular long drives, but would like the option to fast charge as best as possible when out. Basically minimise the amount of time charging when not at home, realistically this could be once a month if we had to pop somewhere at short notice.

From my personal experience, the Hyundai ioniq is a great car. 160km range is pretty much guaranteed, up to 230km in summer on slower roads. It's got a pretty small battery (but it's efficient, hence the range) yet it charges pretty quickly (up to 70kW) meaning a 20 minute stop would give you about 3/4 a battery*.
    It holds plenty too, and it's pokey enough.
    Price wise there's a 2016 UK model from a reputable used EV cars seller going for 14k I think. Absolute bargain. 2017 models (no difference in spec or style) are ~17k.

If you're ready to drop money now, get that ioniq, you won't regret it.

*EVs have a charging curve. 0-70% in the ioniq will charge around 70kW, but it drops of to about 30kW at that point. So 20 minutes will charge the first 3/4 of the battery. The last 1/4 could take another 20 minutes.

By contrast (from what I know, I've no experience) the leaf charges at a max 50kW on the old CHAdeMO socket. There are plenty of these plugs around, but CCS is the new standard, so expect less CHAdeMO plugs installed Vs CCS going forward. The leaf is also known for not being great at motorway speeds, hitting it's range quite hard. They also appear to suffer much more with battery degradation Vs the ioniq (rare to see an ioniq with reported battery degradation).

Advertisement