Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kia e-Soul

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

gally74 wrote:
    Now 33700 quoted 64k battery ?

Can you elaborate please, who is quoting that, where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/23686308

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

gally74 wrote: »

Get your order in before they realise their mistake :)

Pricelist from their website:
    https://www.hinchys.ie/site/uploads/new-kia/downloads/kiapricelist.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

So after getting rid of my 191 ionic after putting 25k km on it I've spent a few months deliberation which long range model to get.
    Basically came down to Kona, Niro and model 3. However visiting the Kia garage I was super impressed with the soul.
    Finally decided it's the most practical, has the most space and is the best designed machine of them all, specifically it's not trying to fit in with the way most cars are designed and marketed and I really dig that!

Deposit paid. I'll keep my 2015 outlander phev also and trade that in against the cybertruck whenever it comes out. Happy now with and outlander and soul :)

If u ain't seen the advert.... Check it out here, what an awesome car! https://youtu.be/-8-rbaXo3Qc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

deegs wrote: »
    So after getting rid of my 191 ionic after putting 25k km on it I've spent a few months deliberation which long range model to get.
    Basically came down to Kona, Niro and model 3. However visiting the Kia garage I was super impressed with the soul.
    Finally decided it's the most practical, has the most space and is the best designed machine of them all, specifically it's not trying to fit in with the way most cars are designed and marketed and I really dig that!

Deposit paid. I'll keep my 2015 outlander phev also and trade that in against the cybertruck whenever it comes out. Happy now with and outlander and soul :)

If u ain't seen the advert.... Check it out here, what an awesome car! https://youtu.be/-8-rbaXo3Qc

What colour did you go for? I was dissapointed that there is not more colour choice and options for it when I checked the brochure out.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

gally74 wrote: »

It's the K2 mid range with Metallic

AMKC wrote: »
    What colour did you go for? I was dissapointed that there is not more colour choice and options for it when I checked the brochure out.
    Red with black roof. Reckon it's the best with the interior also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Bit the bullet on a lovely red/black K3 eSoul for delivery in Jan. Was on the id.3 pre-order list but wasn't impressed with prices and specs. The eSoul ticks all my techie boxes and I like the funky looks (which I know is a bit of a Marmite issue!)

I wasn't expecting to be getting it so quickly so I hadn't really thought about chargers. Can anyone recommend a charger? I have the prep done as I had the house done up recently. Didn't get a priority fuse in though so might look at a current sensing charger? It will be on full show at the front of the house so small and neat ideally - the VW one would have been ideal, but anyways!

I love my zappi great bit of kit!

Congrats on the soul... Savage vehicle :)

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Bit the bullet on a lovely red/black K3 eSoul for delivery in Jan. Was on the id.3 pre-order list but wasn't impressed with prices and specs. The eSoul ticks all my techie boxes and I like the funky looks (which I know is a bit of a Marmite issue!)

I wasn't expecting to be getting it so quickly so I hadn't really thought about chargers. Can anyone recommend a charger? I have the prep done as I had the house done up recently. Didn't get a priority fuse in though so might look at a current sensing charger? It will be on full show at the front of the house so small and neat ideally - the VW one would have been ideal, but anyways!

Has your grant been approved yet? My garage are a bit slow!

• Advertisement

deegs wrote: »
    Has your grant been approved yet? My garage are a bit slow!

Not yet, though in fairness I wasn't anticipating any movement until the new year, Christmas slows everything down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

How does an e-Soul with 0.35 drag coefficient outperform in range a 0.29 dc Leaf?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

peposhi wrote: »
    How does an e-Soul with 0.35 drag coefficient outperform in range a 0.29 dc Leaf?

Leaf has an ancient drive train that is the least efficient of all EVs, whereas the drive train that Kia / Hyundai uses is one of the most efficient of all EVs

Also the WLTP test only drives for a few seconds at 120km/h, where a bad coefficient of drag really hurts. If you did a test for driving at a constant GPS speed of 120km/h (or a real life long distance test), the e-Soul would perform poorly against a more aerodynamic car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Joseph SEE

It doesn't really. There's not that much difference in range on a per kWh basis.

Leaf has a WLTP of 385km. The Soul EV is 452km. If you gave the LEAF the larger Soul battery the difference in range is only 12km (385km divided by 56 X 64 is 440km) ignoring Soul's hidden buffer. Leaf has apparently 56kWh usable. Soul is 64kWh.

The new eSoul is thought to have a CdA of 0.22/0.23 and is lighter than the Leaf.

There's very little difference in efficiency. They are probably about the same.

Joseph SEE wrote: »
    It doesn't really. There's not that much difference in range on a per kWh basis.

Leaf has a WLTP of 385km. The Soul EV is 452km. If you gave the LEAF the larger Soul battery the difference in range is only 12km (385km divided by 56 X 64 is 440km) ignoring Soul's hidden buffer. Leaf has apparently 56kWh usable. Soul is 64kWh.

The new eSoul is thought to have a CdA of 0.22/0.23 and is lighter than the Leaf.

There's very little difference in efficiency. They are probably about the same.

When I sat in one this morning it had 82% left and 330km in Eco mode... I drove roughly 30+ odd km and brought it back with 287km. Some accuracy there. The HUD is fab, loved the AC, much better than the Leaf.

The only thing I kinda disliked - it’s quite noisy compared to a Leaf...

When I sat in one this morning it had 82% left and 330km in Eco mode... I drove roughly 30+ odd km and brought it back with 287km. Some accuracy there. The HUD is fab, loved the AC, much better than the Leaf.

The only thing I kinda disliked - it’s quite noisy compared to a Leaf...

Yes, I believe the Soul is a much better car than the Leaf. It has a much larger battery and it's liquid cooled. The degradation should be minimal and that hidden buffer on the top end is a good strategy.

However, there's a misconception it is more efficient. It's on par with the Leaf, maybe a tad worse in some conditions and it's only 0.1m longer than the Zoe.

https://ev-database.org/car/1154/Kia-e-Soul-64-kWh
    https://ev-database.org/car/1144/Nissan-Leaf-eplus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

However, there's a misconception it is more efficient. It's on par with the Leaf, maybe a tad worse in some conditions

I very much doubt the any of the three sisters are less efficient than a Leaf.
    Isn't the Leaf still running practically the same drivetrain from 2011?

Yes, I believe the Soul is a much better car than the Leaf. It has a much larger battery and it's liquid cooled. The degradation should be minimal and that hidden buffer on the top end is a good strategy.

However, there's a misconception it is more efficient. It's on par with the Leaf, maybe a tad worse in some conditions and it's only 0.1m longer than the Zoe.

https://ev-database.org/car/1154/Kia-e-Soul-64-kWh
    https://ev-database.org/car/1144/Nissan-Leaf-eplus

Drove another one this morning and have to say - it’s a really nice car to be in. Love the HUD!

Kramer wrote: »
    I very much doubt the any of the three sisters are less efficient than a Leaf.
    Isn't the Leaf still running practically the same drivetrain from 2011?

It's listed at 17.3kWh per 100km on the EV Database compared to 17kWh for the Leaf. That's a pretty comprehensive site. There is a large disparity in the size of the batteries. The E-Plus battery really isn't much larger than the 52kWh Zoe.

I believe that the Soul is a superior car to the Leaf and the battery should have much less degradation. It's the option I would choose.

EV motor efficiency should be high for most EVs. I think the highest peak efficiency is approaching 97 per cent. Of course overall efficiency isn't going to hit those figures. All brushless DC motors should have good efficiency that's much higher than an AC motor like the Model S and X.

I'd be very curious to see the efficiency of the Model 3 motor at various rpm bands. Coincidentally, there's a research paper published on such a motor that was produced long before the Model 3 ever existed. The year was 2011.

• Advertisement

Lads, can anyone tell me what font is used to write the Soul badge on the car?!?

Lads, can anyone tell me what font is used to write the Soul badge on the car?!?
    Yip it's a custom don't but really hard to find unless, I guess, you speak Korean. Lots of info on the design and brand language here but can't find the actual book and I expect it will be Korean.

http://sampartners.co.kr/en/portfolio-item/all-about-soulkia-soul-book-project/?ckattempt=1

Picking my baby up tomorrow, haven't even ordered a charger yet and I have a sneaking suspicion it doesn't come with a granny cable - this is going to be an interesting few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

Picking my baby up tomorrow, haven't even ordered a charger yet and I have a sneaking suspicion it doesn't come with a granny cable - this is going to be an interesting few weeks!

It will come with a granny charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

icom wrote: »
    It will come with a granny charger.

I thought Kia stopped doing that a few months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

JohnC. wrote: »
    I thought Kia stopped doing that a few months ago?

They didn't give one with the Niro. Only in Ireland though. Maybe they were shamed enough by that exercise though, and are now supplying them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Brilliant and hope you have many hours of happy motoring. Maybe you will put some pictures up when you get a chance. Enjot its a great cool car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Picked it yesterday, Murphy's Law the sales guy missed getting it on to the (only!) charger they have that morning so it was at about 200 km. Not the end of the world, I do very little mileage. In better news, it did come with a granny! Ordered a multi-mode Wall Pod from the UK (as I also wanted a 3-pin socket out the front for maintenance/Xmas lights etc) - https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/home-charging-range/products/wallpod-ev-multi-mode-type-2-tethered-cable-5m?variant=40494204932

Also ordered the two safety options, not really sure I needed those tbh (the DC monitoring thing and the earth module).

Had a bit of a run around today, I love it! Such a lovely drive, so smooth. The smart cruise control is gas, you can basically drive in stop/start traffic by just clicking the button to restart, no need to accelerate or brake. The screen is amazing, Android Auto set up no problem. One thing that is bugging me is that the built in nav doesn't seem to have the Irish address database - it doesn't have any detailed addresses at all (though it knew, say, Marino). It also doesn't seem to take a start nav address via voice. Nor does it seem to have live traffic for Ireland (though I'm not sure it can even access the internet via a connected phone, it seems to only offer a wifi connection). All of that wouldn't normally bother me as I've never seen a built in nav that can better Android Auto but the one thing you miss out on using AA (or CarPlay) is getting the next directions in the HUD, which is pretty cool :)

Have it on the granny at the moment, I was down to about 160 when I plugged it in earlier and it was saying approx 24hrs to full, which is fair enough.

Excellent news!!!
    Many happy miles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Picked it yesterday, Murphy's Law the sales guy missed getting it on to the (only!) charger they have that morning so it was at about 200 km. Not the end of the world, I do very little mileage. In better news, it did come with a granny! Ordered a multi-mode Wall Pod from the UK (as I also wanted a 3-pin socket out the front for maintenance/Xmas lights etc) - https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/home-charging-range/products/wallpod-ev-multi-mode-type-2-tethered-cable-5m?variant=40494204932

Also ordered the two safety options, not really sure I needed those tbh (the DC monitoring thing and the earth module).

Had a bit of a run around today, I love it! Such a lovely drive, so smooth. The smart cruise control is gas, you can basically drive in stop/start traffic by just clicking the button to restart, no need to accelerate or brake. The screen is amazing, Android Auto set up no problem. One thing that is bugging me is that the built in nav doesn't seem to have the Irish address database - it doesn't have any detailed addresses at all (though it knew, say, Marino). It also doesn't seem to take a start nav address via voice. Nor does it seem to have live traffic for Ireland (though I'm not sure it can even access the internet via a connected phone, it seems to only offer a wifi connection). All of that wouldn't normally bother me as I've never seen a built in nav that can better Android Auto but the one thing you miss out on using AA (or CarPlay) is getting the next directions in the HUD, which is pretty cool :)

Have it on the granny at the moment, I was down to about 160 when I plugged it in earlier and it was saying approx 24hrs to full, which is fair enough.

Congrats on getting the car!

The screen should show live traffic once it's connected to WiFi. I set up a hot spot on my phone for the car to connect to, and I automate it with MacroDroid. It works perfectly and live traffic is very useful.

Advertisement