Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you thought you'd miss during Lockdown but haven't.

• 07-04-2020 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by the other thread.

Football. I thought I'd miss football more. I love it and all and I do miss it a bit, but I'm surprised by the extent of how much I don't give a shyte about it during this period of time.

It's a frivolous thing, I've always known that, but in everyday life it's possible to devote so much attention to it and there's endless, endless coverage of it so it's easy to get sucked into thinking that it's kinda important in some way.

But this period of time, has really shown to me how much time I previously devoted to stupid stuff that doesn't really matter in the least - and top of that list for me is football. To the extent now when I hear the football machine - starved of attention - occasionally still making noises about future games and transfer rumours and all that crap it actually kind of annoys me. How can anyone give a shyte anymore about any of that? It's just an entertaining triviality that distracts people from the buisness of really living.

What about yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

Eating out. Not yet anyway.

I remember when inevitable closures dawned, hit the town proper for one last sup and then some. Seems a ridiculous charade in retrospect, considering there's a can nestled in the fridge as I type. Nah, I'm not marooned on a desert island and the local will still be standing after the Covid-19 threat recedes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭jj880

People calling to the house.

Not in the fvcking slightest.

Think I'll stop answering the door when this is all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I remember when inevitable closures dawned, hit the town proper for one last sup and then some. Seems a ridiculous charade in retrospect, considering there's a can nestled in the fridge as I type. Nah, I'm not marooned on a desert island and the local will still be standing after the Covid-19 threat recedes.

I definitely still miss going for a drink. I actually don't miss drink itself all that much. I would almost never drink in the house. Sitting down with a beer in the sitting room doesn't feel right to me, I'd rather have a cup of tea.

But out and about with people, enjoying the craic and enjoying the drinks. Yes, that whole experience I do miss a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

The bookies, im actually saving money ( I think)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 backofthepack

Plans.
    we always have several things planned each weekend, for weeks.
    And I normally plan most of them.
    Some I wouldn't cancel, like the kids pal's parties etc.
    But i think i'll be planning more empty weekends when all goes back to normal, so nice not to be watching the clock at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Career, I work in marketing and always thought it was something I liked. For months I've been irritable trying to find a new job and realised recently I don't care for it, and in fact never really have since college.

I got caught up in the job I currently have and the pace of life stopped me from really examining my thoughts in regards to it, but being on your own for 3 weeks thinking and reassessing I don't think I care for it at all and want to work towards something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Similarly regarding sport..all that analysis on the media.I am actually a huge sports fan, never miss going to Gaa matches, love watching soccer and a fan of most sports but in recent years the deification of sports people is really beginning to grate. It's nice to turn on the radio without hearing sports news every hour

• Registered Users Posts: 9 whatsthecraic?

In-laws. Oh wait, I'll never miss them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I thought I'd hate working from home and miss the structure of going into the office every day. To be honest I love it, would happily work from home forever if I was allowed!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pow_pow

The pub

Advertisement