Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

WattsUp wrote: »
    If you need to monitor main supply zappi has a wireless option. If you do that you cannot then load balance off the sub board to limit it to total of 32.. No win

Why couldn't you do that? If you have a harvi at the main CT clamp to wireless send the readings for whole house current to the Zappi, then directly wire a second CT clamp to one of the CT inputs on the Zappi and configure that as a monitor load with a limit of 30A.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Nuphor

I thought to comply with regs, a car charger needs to be run off the primary fuse board?

Now if an Electrician could make that one in your shed the primary, and the one in the house the secondary, then yes, they could probably run the charger from the shed, but that would involve running a new feed from your meter to the shed fuse board.

A Sparks could confirm if what I say is true, or tosh

Don't think that's the case. Not a spark, but mine was installed by a big reputable installer and it's from a sub-main board in a garage far away from the house via 10mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

unkel wrote: »
    Standard advice to only use it occasionally (in an emergency or when at a holiday home or with family). That's what it's for.

But some people have used it successfully every day for months on end. Which can be the only reasonable option for some people (like if you are renting and the landlord doesn't want an EVSE, or if you are moving house in the near future, etc.). It's far from ideal though. For numerous reasons already outlined. And just to state the main safety reason: household sockets are just not designed to take a big load for hours on end. There is a risk of overheating in general. And in particular, you are at risk of burning your socket out. Even with just 1kW, let alone well over 2kW.

This is very true and I would caution charging daily any battery from the house sockets more than occasionally. I used it for 6 months while a sorted myself out to get a charger installed and when they were here I asked to check the socket as it had cracked. Parts of it had melted, they said it wasn't dangerous yet, but would have been soon. I tended to use on maximum rate to shorten the charge time as having the window open in winter wasn't pleasing my wife!

Just an FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Nuphor wrote: »
    Don't think that's the case. Not a spark, but mine was installed by a big reputable installer and it's from a sub-main board in a garage far away from the house via 10mm.

Yeah there is no issue with doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,659 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I had someone out to look at installing an eo which looks good but didn't realise you need an isolation switch

Man that's ugly !

• Advertisement

You could definitionity install a zappi on a sub board.
    The CT would go at the sub board.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cyrus wrote: »
    I had someone out to look at installing an eo which looks good but didn't realise you need an isolation switch

Man that's ugly !

Can you put the isolation switch out of sight?
    All Our work place chargers have isolation switched beside them but that’s an underground car park, not the front wall of your house :)

Gumbo wrote: »
    Can you put the isolation switch out of sight?
    All Our work place chargers have isolation switched beside them but that’s an underground car park, not the front wall of your house :)

They are ugly alright.
    But there is no point hiding it because they are they for emergency use.
    I was recommended to put a 63a isolator as apparently the 32a ones can go crispy.

How true that is I don't know but the guy that told me has installed 100s of them.
    I have installed one,a zappi in my own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Cyrus wrote: »

Man that's ugly !

Yeah a lot of the 63a isolators are bigger than the EO mini but it is a must according to RECI (I think otherwise for certain models but don't make the rules)

Out of interest did they show you the large and small isolators or just the large?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,659 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Felexicon wrote: »
    Yeah a lot of the 63a isolators are bigger than the EO mini but it is a must according to RECI (I think otherwise for certain models but don't make the rules)

Out of interest did they show you the large and small isolators or just the large?

the one i saw was nearly the size of the eo

luckily enough there is a rain gutter that it can go behind so you wont really see it when looking at the house

are there any charge points that dont need this? or have it built in (again probably a stupid qn :o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The Rolec's have an RCBO built in that is externally accessible that doesnt require you to get out a screwdriver etc to access it. You can just flip the switch.

I dont know if that will be enough for an electrician to not put in an isolator or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭User1998

Would it be possible to have an electrician remove the isolator? I have one and its ugly but its also stiff and hard to turn on and off. The charge point itself has an emergency stop button built in

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Kn not installing my home charge point for ei until all these restrictions are lifted so stuck with the 3 pin plug. Got caught out yesterday and had.to be towed from m1. Need to plug it in every night as still at work and could be sent anywhere as a health care worker.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Kn not installing my home charge point for ei until all these restrictions are lifted so stuck with the 3 pin plug. Got caught out yesterday and had.to be towed from m1. Need to plug it in every night as still at work and could be sent anywhere as a health care worker.

Is it feasible for you to take advantage of local public charging? specifically eCars AC which is still free (and a hell of a lot faster than a Granny cable), even to just get a boost for an hour or so to put some juice in the battery should you need that little bit extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paulmee

Hi,
    I will give my experience of a recent install.
    I bought a zappi v2, with a hub and got an electrician to install it, all in about 1350 euro (1000 for zappi, hub and extra ct clamp, 350 for installation)
    It utilities my pv panels(no storage), and on a sunny day generates about 1.5 kwh. My car is a 530e

The electrician did a very tidy job, he ran a pipe from the middle of the house(utility room in a semi d) along the wall.

I find the zappi and hub great(few teething problems with the hub and app initially, but their customer support in the UK were very helpful and prompt. The app is also very interesting in terms of the graphs it shows)

Hope this helps

Potato Man wrote: »
    It utilities my pv panel(no storage), that on a sunny day generates about 1.5 kwh.

I'd say you'll be getting the full 1.5kWh today then...

Glorious sunshine here today so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭WattsUp

Potato Man wrote: »
    Hi,
    I will give my experience of a recent install.
    I bought a zappi v2, with a hub and got an electrician to install it, all in about 1350 euro (1000 for zappi, hub and extra ct clamp, 350 for installation)
    It utilities my pv panels(no storage), and on a sunny day generates about 1.5 kwh. My car is a 530e

The electrician did a very tidy job, he ran a pipe from the middle of the house(utility room in a semi d) along the wall.

I find the zappi and hub great(few teething problems with the hub and app initially, but their customer support in the UK were very helpful and prompt. The app is also very interesting in terms of the graphs it shows)

Hope this helps

I went same route but had my electrician source the charger from a place call midsummer.ie in Dublin. He got a SUBSTANTIAL trade discount there. Cost was similar for the install work including cable and MCB in the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I was approved for the charger grant 5 months ago. I'm supposed to get the paperwork in within 6 months but with the whole virus situation I'd rather wait! Will I still get the grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I was approved for the charger grant 5 months ago. I'm supposed to get the paperwork in within 6 months but with the whole virus situation I'd rather wait! Will I still get the grant?

Email them. I had a friend who was late getting his paperwork together and they were ok with extending it for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

I contacted them about this and they told me to cancel and reapply when ready, will get 6 months from date of issue of new letter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

dec2000 wrote: »
    I contacted them about this and they told me to cancel and reapply when ready, will get 6 months from date of issue of new letter

^ This

I did same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

Thanks,
    I think i worded my question wrong.
    Are both these the same point (one tethered one untethered ).
    The type 2 is throwing me off.

I like the idea of tethered,any real reason not too?
    What "type/style" will my new leaf have?
    Sorry I'm very new to this :D

Ignore the type 2. Your 40kw leaf is type 2. Go tethered its best option, but some downsides,

It will be a fixed length, if you need one slightly longer (to stretch past another parked car) its hard to change it for a slightly longer model.

It can be a little unsightly if mounted on front if house with 15ft of cable not connected when not in use.

When not in use you need to plug the unused end into a holder, otherwise it can fill up with rain, and if mounted at side of house it can make it difficult to squeeze past.

Main upsides
    No need to take cable in and out of boot when wet.
    You end up with 2 cables, home permanent cable and different cable for use when out and about.

Same price (seems to be)

Quicker to connect car if charging regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Zappi vs EI charger? I was hoping to upgrade to Solar PV in the coming years/ months as only recently purchased a EV and loving it! No charging point in as yet with the lock down etc. Had signed up for a EI one as the cheapest one out there as its only 150e after the grant. I have been trying to clarify with EI over the phone recently if their charger is compatible with Solar PV and charging the car- though they advise it is. However I thought the second generation Zappi charger is the only charging point that you can use with Solar PV going forward. So am I better off cancelling my order with EI and waiting for lock down to lift and get a Zappi charger installed with a view to Solar PV at at later date? thanks for your help folks ye have been brill!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

However I thought the second generation Zappi charger is the only charging point that you can use with Solar PV going forward.

I don't know which charger Electric Ireland are using, but I don't think this is true about solar. There's plenty of other chargers that can handle solar PV, eg: https://www.eocharging.com/eo-mini-smart-home

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

Zappi vs EI charger? I was hoping to upgrade to Solar PV in the coming years/ months as only recently purchased a EV and loving it! No charging point in as yet with the lock down etc. Had signed up for a EI one as the cheapest one out there as its only 150e after the grant. I have been trying to clarify with EI over the phone recently if their charger is compatible with Solar PV and charging the car- though they advise it is. However I thought the second generation Zappi charger is the only charging point that you can use with Solar PV going forward. So am I better off cancelling my order with EI and waiting for lock down to lift and get a Zappi charger installed with a view to Solar PV at at later date? thanks for your help folks ye have been brill!

First or second generation Zappi can do solar. You need to be home daytime to charge on solar so not much good if you are away office hours. Do a payback period before deciding on solar. Solar may only charge 1 or 2 kWh per hour of daylight, so it can take 1+ days to fill up.

A few non zappi can do solar.

Apparently electric Ireland are switching to a different brand of chargers. I would confirm 100% if solar is your thing. Solar can be fiddly to set up and you may have to manually switch to fast charging to ensure car is full. Most installers install minimum solar panels to get grant.

Personally I found night rate makes more sense for high mileage daily commute.

PS Zappi is most expensive charger and hub is an extra 120 euro. For solar an Eddi may be needed too.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Nice looking simple charger:
    https://evonestop.co.uk/products/qubev-ev-charging-unit-type-2-socket-32-amp-7-2-kw-ip65

Very tidy from what I seen on IEVOA facebook. RCBO has to be installed outside the unit, but tis tidy all regardless.

95395651_3512134758813473_1192855461984993280_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=jZjC4uPBkdAAX_oBDwO&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=9bef0bf2ac68c20b0494fea33013ca88&oe=5ED59051

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭eagerv

Still waiting for the €600 charge point grant from SEAI, 7 weeks now; was on to them last week, told shouldn't be much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

eagerv wrote: »
    Still waiting for the €600 charge point grant from SEAI, 7 weeks now; was on to them last week, told shouldn't be much longer.

Can you get the charger installed at least and claim the grant later or you're blocked while you're waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭eagerv

xboxdad wrote: »
    Can you get the charger installed at least and claim the grant later or you're blocked while you're waiting?

The grant approval is very quick, took us 3 days if I remember correctly. Then we ordered chargepoint to be supplied and installed by Nigel Daly Tramore, which was done about 2 weeks later.
    Up to that we used Granny charger into waterproof outdoor sockets on house which was easy and fast enough for our 28kWh Ioniq.
    Not sure how to answer your question though..

• Advertisement

xboxdad wrote: »

Grant approval only takes a few days (you apply online), then SEAI send you an 'offer letter'. Once you have the offer letter in hand, you then have 6 months to get a charger installed and submit the paperwork in order to get (up to) €600 of costs back.

In addition to the paperwork you need to send them, you also need to send a photo of the electric car (clearly showing car reg)& a photo of the charger installed.

Advertisement