Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

Arghus wrote: »
    New Tame Impala.

I'm still on the fence about these guys.

I have a hard time with your man's singing voice.

Its absolutely stellar. "one more year" is a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Its a very good song more electronic that I might have thought ..haven't heard them much before

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think it has it's moments. The singles are quite good, but a lot of the other tracks are a bit forgettable. Maybe it's a grower, I certainly will give it more time, but I don't think I'd file it under essential listening just yet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Loved Innerspeaker and Lonerism especially. So much so I went to see them 3 times over an 18 month period.

I found currents to be a step down. After the first single 'Let it Happen' was released I had high hopes as the sound was similar to Lonerism, but diverged somewhat after that.

I've given the new one a bit of time, it's decent but not even close to the first too for me.

Tomorrows are an Irish band and this is their album Night Chorus pt2 . Very trippy sounding.
    https://tomorrows.bandcamp.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Been listening to the new Orielles album Disco Volador a lot this weekend. Quite different to their debut which I loved but definitely a grower. New Soccer Mommy and Caribou very good on first listen too.

sweetie wrote: »
    Been listening to the new Orielles album Disco Volador a lot this weekend. Quite different to their debut which I loved but definitely a grower. New Soccer Mommy and Caribou very good on first listen too.

I listened to soccer mommy and Carbou as well this week! I didn't care for either very much. I only skimmed thru both albums listening to a song here and there before deciding no further listens required.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

sweetie wrote: »
    Been listening to the new Orielles album Disco Volador a lot this weekend..

its a beaut , great groove to it
    the new sink ya teeth album is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

the new King Krule album is very good I think. I absolutely loved his last album so time will tell to how this one compares.

I've been listening to HMLTD, a band I'd literally never heard of before today. They have an album called West of Eden and while I think they definitely won't be to everyone's taste, I am very, very impressed with them. Everything is turned all the way up all of the time, which will probably fatigue a lot of people, but fook me there's some great wild stuff on the record.

This tune is a bit of an encapsulation of their sound. Starts off like a Morricone film score, becomes crazed post punk, does a complete 180 into a trap section, jumbles it all up together again and throws in some extra industrial noise for the craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

peteeeed wrote: »
    its a beaut , great groove to it
    the new sink ya teeth album is the same

Didn't know Sink Ya Teeth had a new one out, it's excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭divide_by_zero

Some excellent albums out the last week Wasted Shirt's Fungus II, Gladie -Safe Sins and the new Nova Twins album Who are the girls. All worth a listen, the new Sink Ya Teeth one is brilliant as already mentioned here.

New U.S. Girls, Heavy Light. Listening to it now. Her last one was a classic, so high hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

new Stephen Malkmus "Traditional Techniques". His 3rd album in under 3 years; after last year's excursion into bedroom electronica, this time he's rocking a 60s/70s folk vibe (something he dabbled in previously on the final Pavement album).

Just listening to it now, but I like Malkmus and I like a bit of 60s folk rock, so it's right up my alley.

loyatemu wrote: »
    new Stephen Malkmus "Traditional Techniques". His 3rd album in under 3 years; after last year's excursion into bedroom electronica, this time he's rocking a 60s/70s folk vibe (something he dabbled in previously on the final Pavement album).

Just listening to it now, but I like Malkmus and I like a bit of 60s folk rock, so it's right up my alley.

Out on tour with the Smashing Pumpkins
    Nature kids, I, they don't have no function
    I don't understand what they mean and I could really give a ****

That what I think about pavement dumbass songs all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

New U.S. Girls, Heavy Light. Listening to it now. Her last one was a classic, so high hopes.
    The singles from this album are good, the rest of the album not so much. It's a bit of a disappointment and a step down from her last album.

The singles from this album are good, the rest of the album not so much. It's a bit of a disappointment and a step down from her last album.

Completely agree with you here. I've given it a good listen over the past few days, and yes the singles are the only highlights of the album. Really disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,811 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

New Caribou album is amazing

I think on its own terms it's a pretty good release. There's at least five songs on it that I think are great - the first three (especially 4 American Dollars), And yet It Moves and The Quiver to The Bomb - and I think most of the others are generally fine, without being outstanding.

It seems to rubbing people up all underwhelmed, but I think some of that is a bit harsh. It's nowhere near as consistent or as focused as the last album, but if it was the first U.S. Girls album you'd ever heard you might be a bit more forgiving

I think the departure in style has thrown people a bit too. There's a bit more of a classic pop/rock, even a big-band, feel and the arrangements are big, sometimes to the point of too much. When it works, it works, but at times it can feel like a whole lot in search of a good tune. I also am not sure about Meg Remy's voice and whether it wholly works with the songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭mosstin

I think on its own terms it's a pretty good release. There's at least five songs on it that I think are great - the first three (especially 4 American Dollars), And yet It Moves and The Quiver to The Bomb - and I think most of the others are generally fine, without being outstanding.

It seems to rubbing people up all underwhelmed, but I think some of that is a bit harsh. It's nowhere near as consistent or as focused as the last album, but if it was the first U.S. Girls album you'd ever heard you might be a bit more forgiving

I think the departure in style has thrown people a bit too. There's a bit more of a classic pop/rock, even a big-band, feel and the arrangements are big, sometimes to the point of too much. When it works, it works, but at times it can feel like a whole lot in search of a good tune. I also am not sure about Meg Remy's voice and whether it wholly works with the songs.

This was my exact issue with the last Angel Olsen album.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    This was my exact issue with the last Angel Olsen album.

I would tend to agree with you. I really liked that Angel Olsen at first and still think it has some great moments, but, yeah, I don't return to it much these days. There's nothing on it that makes me feel like I simply have to listen to that one song again.

Angel Olsen's best album is still Burn Your Fire... All killer, no filler.

I would tend to agree with you. I really liked that Angel Olsen at first and still think it has some great moments, but, yeah, I don't return to it much these days. There's nothing on it that makes me feel like I simply have to listen to that one song again.

Angel Olsen's best album is still Burn Your Fire... All killer, no filler.

Is right. Love it.

The Four Tet album sounds very promising. I wasn't all that sold on New Energy even if it did feature this beauty. Plenty of days ahead to self-isolate with this.

From the new album but been out a while.....

Human Impact released a record last Friday called Human Impact. The band consists of ex Cop Shoot Cop and Swans members. If you like Cop Shoot Cop you'll like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Bit late but I just heard about it today. The new Phantogram album is fantastic. A bit rockier than their previous stuff and on a first listen it could be their best yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

on my 2nd listen of the new baxter dury album , its great

Human Impact released a record last Friday called Human Impact. The band consists of ex Cop Shoot Cop and Swans members. If you like Cop Shoot Cop you'll like these.

I like one song by them prob cos of mtv anything great on the album?

I like one song by them prob cos of mtv anything great on the album?

Yeah the album in its entirity is great. It's only March and it will be in my top 5 albums of the year. I actually got to see cop shoot cop live, I think it was in 1994 in the SFX supporting Therapy? I still say it's one of the best gigs I've ever been at. They were a great band.

Yeah the album in its entirity is great. It's only March and it will be in my top 5 albums of the year. I actually got to see cop shoot cop live, I think it was in 1994 in the SFX supporting Therapy? I still say it's one of the best gigs I've ever been at. They were a great band.

I'll give it a go!

• Advertisement

Sorry's debut, 925 out today is a super album and also Deeper's Auto-Pain is excellent.

Advertisement