Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you say mum, mom, mam or ma

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sparkydub2012

amdublin wrote: »
    What's wrong with mother/mam/mammy/ma like we used to always say??

Why are people starting this american sh1t and saying Mom??

I was in a thread in Legal Discussions yesterday: Mom
    Personal Issues today: Mom

Very irritating.

Edit.
    Mum is also okay. If you are posh.

Ma is real dublin regardless of money etc. I speak english quite well. guess it's the southside catholic emancipation ppl on revenge

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

I call her "mam", "ma" and "mum". My dad's gf is English so when I'm in England I'll refer to my mam as mum. At home though it's "ma" or "mam"! She hates "Ma" though but I call her it anyway just to piss her off! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

How does your subjective experience translate back to the entire u.21 population of South County Dublin and beyond in relation to using the word mom?

Hate to break this to you but I couldn't give a shite about teenagers in South County Dublin, I don't live in Dublin (shocking isn't it! People live outside Dublin too!!) and have never had any dealings with them, they can call their Moms Dad for all I care, I was just giving my personal experience of the word.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    But isn't "a Mhamaí" pronounced "Wommy" ?

That's nothing like English unless you're David Norris or Jonathan Ross.....

Yeah but if you put Mam or the M for it with the Irish Wommy sound, Wom, Mom, all I know is that that's what at least 2 generations of my family have said, and always said it's because of the English/Irish speaking area combining things.

I actually asked my friend who grew up in the Gaeltacht today and she said her mother called her grandmother Mom as long as she could remember, in Dún Chaoin, west of Dingle. That's a 55 year old woman saying Mom for at least 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ev84

Ive nothing against language progression either. But it's annoying to see our own linguistic characteristics being replaced with American English all the same. And thats not embracing pure Irish tradition. I just find it bizarre to hear people talking like that and frankly its irritating.

yeah, like all of us Irish people speaking English is pure Irish tradition :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Ev84 wrote: »
    yeah, like all of us Irish people speaking English is pure Irish tradition :rolleyes:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

amdublin wrote: »
    Why are people saying Mom??

Probably short for "mother". You've never heard it before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ilovejames

I call her me oul wan...ma...or mother if she pisses me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I fail to see how it's necessarily snobbery to use Mum - I started calling my mother Mum instead of Mammy when I was very small. A small child is hardly capable of snobbery and I didn't get it from my parents, who both call(ed) their mothers Mam. Don't know where I and my siblings picked it up - maybe other kids or British TV... /shrug

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

I started college back in september and I was so surprised to hear people referring to their mothers as "mum" and occassionally "mom". At home people say "mam", "ma" or "the mother". I went over 18 years without hearing an Irish person refer to their mother as "mum" or "mom"

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I call her Mam, but if i want something its Mammy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Dudess wrote: »
    A small child is hardly capable of snobbery

... or deliberately using Americanisms for that matter. It's funny how long it took anybody to raise this very sensible point.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 WhoSaidWhut

I'm from the North where we all say Ma/Mum (But with our accents very hard to say mum in a posh way :/)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

I have always said Mum/Mom (I would use both pretty equally).

I would never say Mam but I was never brought up saying that so why would I?
    I honesly don't care what people call their mothers. It is almost always a regional thing.

Why do people in this country have such a preoccupation with how other people speak/talk? Also people's annoyance/insecurity/anger/superiority complex (take your pick) regarding other people's accents. Who cares? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wonder what Elton John's kid would call his mother, if he didn't have two dads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

seosebh wrote: »
    The word mum was virtually unheard of ten years ago in ireland, so anyone over the age of say twenty or thereabouts is using it not because it's natural, but because they feel obliged to. It's what little sheep do.

I am in my 40s, my brother & cousins too, all from the East coast, and we all say Mum', always have done, always will do.

Mam is probably the most common word for Mother In Ireland, and 'Mom' is an Americanism that is slowly creeping into Irish society. I am suspicious of the very american 'Mom', for it (like the grey squirrel) has appeared on these shores from the far side of the Atlantic (some 3000 miles away), and if given the chance will begin to dominate, with the result that the indigenous Mum & Mam will become extinct, just like the red squirrel :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

My lovely Mayo mammy
    So gentle and so wise
    Rocking on your rocking chair
    Baking cakes and pies
    My lovely Mayo mammy
    My lovely lovely Mayo mam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I always called them by their names, but refer to them as my Mum and Dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Ma.

Mom is for people who watch the Hills or the kardashians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

What's with all the zombie threads today?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

mconigol wrote: »
    What's with all the zombie threads today?

It's nearly Halloween.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ma or Mam! Nice and simple and common sounding!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Yakult wrote: »

Stewie sounds very Irish when he says "Ma!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

People who say mom are cünts. No ifs ands or buts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Ma and Da here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,236 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ma from me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

People who say mom are cünts. No ifs ands or buts.

I'm a cúnt so. Papa will not be happy when he hears this, you will be in for a right leathering :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

partyndbs wrote: »
    i say mum and think calling them mam or ma is disgusting well country folk can get away with saying mam but dublin people it is horrible

Mum?

Mum??

Mum???

What are you? English??

It's ma or mam on this side of the Irish Sea.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

LordSutch wrote: »
    'Mom' is an Americanism that is slowly creeping into Irish society.

Maim (Irish for mother) is pronounced Mom.

Most native Irish speakers I know pronounce it Mom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

Mother when we're :mad: mum usually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Mam or Ma, Mother if I am messing with her and her first name if we aren't getting along.

If I ever heard any Irish people calling their mother Mum or Mom I would laugh my arse of, if any of my friends did it they would probably have the piss taken out of them for as long as they lived and vice versa.

Mam/Mammy is not a culchie thing it's an Irish thing and if any of ye have a problem with that then go and tell your Mummy/Mommy:p

Advertisement