Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worth getting 5g phone

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Isn't there confusion in a lot of places in the US where what they are calling 5G is actually 4G+

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Clareman wrote: »
    Isn't there confusion in a lot of places in the US where what they are calling 5G is actually 4G+

Yeah, AT&T started calling their 4G network 5Ge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Samson1 wrote: »
    Testing a Note 10+ 5G on the Verizon 5G network in Providence, Rhode Island:- https://www.pcworld.com/article/3434608/samsung-galaxy-note-10-5g-verizon-speed-tests.html

Sounds like it is going to take time to get their 5G network expanded. Are we going to see similar issues here on the initial roll-out of 5G?? :

.... "So for now, getting 5G on your phone requires an awareness of where you are in relation to the nodes. Turn a corner—or even turn around—and you might drop the signal. " .......

..... "The battery definitely took a hit when compared to the regular Note 10+, going from 95 percent to 52 percent after a solid 2.5 hours of testing and downloads. Granted, that’s more than most people will do with it during such a short time period, but even when keeping it in my pocket, it drained noticeably faster than the non-5G Note 10+."....

......"Trying to connect to 5G inside a building was nearly impossible"........

Just some thoughts.. Not exact science!
    4g consumes more battery than 3g.
    And as far as I'm aware 5g will be similar, hence 5g phones appear to have somewhat larger battery capacities.

However if they were experiencing connectivity issues during their testing, and the 5g signal was only in a very small specific area, then possibly the battery was depleted more than normal trying to cope with poor signal and changing back and forth between 4g/5g.

It could also be like this in real life at the beginning until 5g becomes more established.

Perhaps might need to change phone radio to 4g/3g if not in 5g area. And then manually switch back when you are... That might help with battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

biebiebie wrote: »
    Perhaps might need to change phone radio to 4g/3g if not in 5g area. And then manually switch back when you are... That might help with battery life.

Shouldnt really be required. Your phone currently can operate in 2G, 3G and 4G modes but that isnt a huge battery burn. The baseband talks and listens in the active channel but only listens for other potentials. This is done in hardware so isnt power intensive.

The problem can be all new radio chipsets won't be as refined as later generations on the same RAT so early 5G will be inefficient just like early 4G and 3G.

When people are testing the system they're actually transferring large amounts of data, all that data is handed off to the CPU which may in fact be the source of lots of energy expenditure. Your speedtest app is high level software that doesn't get the benefits of ASICs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

What if you're in a fringe area, dropping in and out of 5g?
    That's the type of scenario that might be more common in the early days of 5g as the service is being rolled out

• Advertisement

If driving say, perhaps.

The phone has rules like:
    If 3G 70%+ and 4G 50%+ use 4G
    If 4G below 40% and 3G at least 4G-10% then use 3G

Its not as simple as that but you get the idea. So if you're sat on a bench at the edge of a 5G cell you will just delatch and stay that way. Itll mostly be busy listening for other 4G neighbour cells which are likely to become rapidly available.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

gmisk wrote: »
    I am with 3 at the minute the only way I think I would get 4g (never mind 5g) was if I was sitting on one of their masts!

Ironically posted twice - because of crappy 3 signal....

I live in the sticks and get 3, 4G and live over a mile away from the mast as the crow flies. Mind you it is not great 4G speeds but can be at times. Last night at around 3am I downloaded over 20GB's at 3MB/s so roughly a 24Mb connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

I live in the sticks and get 3, 4G and live over a mile away from the mast as the crow flies. Mind you it is not great 4G speeds but can be at times. Last night at around 3am I downloaded over 20GB's at 3MB/s so roughly a 24Mb connection.

Which is great if you're a regular 3am user. The rest of us on the Three network share the daily frustration of the data network violently shítting the bed come evening time and folks being home from work and trying to use the network. Seriously, you can nearly set your watch to when the network will fall off a cliff.

So yeah if you're a Three customer then no it's not worth getting a 5G phone because 3 and 4G is already incredibly volatile with them so why would the next step up be any better? Hell they can't even get calls to connect half the time nevermind internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

5g use,s different bandwidth to 4g.
    It will require at least twice as much cell towers to be installed ,
    to provide a faster signal ,download speed to 4g.
    i See offers now of 30gig per month on 4 g networks .
    If the networks have to spell billions setting up 5g networks
    they will have to charge the customer more than they are charging now .
    I Do not see we will see unlimited downloads on 5g services, .
    I see no big deal about 5g if you are only allowed to download 30 gig per month.even if its 2-3 times faster than 4 g download speeds .
    i don,t know the details about irish networks, In the usa the companys
    have to buy spectrum for 5g before they even start building the network.
    Some companys bought spectrum and did not use it in all area.s
    i cannot imagine a situation where i need more than 100 mbs on my
    phone as i can only download 30 gig per month anyway .
    i prefer to use my pc or my laptop if i am browsing the web.

https://www.lifewire.com/5g-vs-4g-4156322

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

You'll have to go for an uncapped package if you are going for 5G, stuff like Netflix or Youtube will go straight to ultimate HD when they see the bandwidth available and will be able to download huge amounts in a short period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

So has the 5g phone buying option changed?

Have the readies and not sure if to hold out for 2020 to see any new handsets 5g ready.

Was looking at the one plus 7t Pro but no model's are 5g ready except those sold by ee network in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Have the readies and not sure if to hold out for 2020 to see any new handsets 5g ready.

Was looking at the one plus 7t Pro but no model's are 5g ready except those sold by ee network in the UK

Nokia 8.2 will be launched at MWC... Will be a good balance between cost and quality...

I really wouldnt bother until Q2 2020.

Advertisement