Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC 11 Thread

• 29-03-2017 5:55am

This thread is for dicussion on the upcoming HTC 11/Ocean.

HTC have been on a downward slide for years now, and with the recent release of the U Play and U Ultra (which were generally panned by reviewers), a lot of people were questioning whether that is the beginning of the end for HTC.

Latest reports are that the HTC 11 (or HTC Ocean) will be announced in April and released in May. The device features a 5.5" QHD screen, Snapdragon 835, and 3000mAh battery. The only unique selling point is the addition of a touch-sensitive frame which allows you to control the device from the side. I know a couple of people currently testing this device in the US, and they say that this new UI doesn't offer much more than a press to select at the moment.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/03/28/htc-u-codenamed-ocean-will-feature-sense-9-and-touch-sensitive-frame/

I don't hold out much hope for HTC. I've had virtually all of their flagships dating back to the Tytn II on WinMo, but I really feel they've lost their way. I'm still going to wait until the 11 is announced properly before deciding on what my flagship is for 2017.

Comments

Nothing to get excited about if the only build up is a touch sensitive frame. At least Samsung are trying to generate a bit of excitement with their advertising campaign for the S8.
    I have difficulty moving to any phone without a headphone Jack and I assume HTC are following the rest of the pack and removing it.
    I am also assuming that the Snapdragon 835 is more power efficient so no need to increase the battery size.
    I do hope they don't go with the gimmicky glass back as they have on the Ultra.
    Will there be any significantly noticeable different from the 10 (apart from touch frame) to make me want to go out and buy this on release?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

While this certainly is innovative, one wonders whether it’s innovation for innovation’s sake?

I’m a loyal HTC customer and really want them to turn the corner but I can’t get behind this ‘gesture’ thing 100%.

A strong focus on a high quality camera, excellent battery, good processor, and water proofing, may serve them better.

Also, worth noting, this design will surely be a bit problematic for case designers; although, I’m sure they’ve thought of that.

One final thing, price tag on this will surely be nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

I’m a loyal HTC customer and really want them to turn the corner but I can’t get behind this ‘gesture’ thing 100%.

A strong focus on a high quality camera, excellent battery, good processor, and water proofing, may serve them better.

Exactly. A top notch camera, water and dust proofing would have made the M7 pretty much the perfect phone. In my opinion that phone was their pinnacle.

As it stands it doesn't appear to likely that HTC can tempt me back from Samsung at the moment which is a shame as the M7 is pretty the nicest phone I've owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I've been a HTC fan for years - Had the Desire S, Sensation, M7 and M9 but their newer models (and pricing) mean that yesterday I pulled the trigger on a Oneplus 3T.

The M9 is still running well and apart from a broken camera lens glass I haven't had any problems with it but I need a dual sim one now and nothing in the HTC range is calling to me.

I’m still (almost) happily rocking the M8 and I love it.

Their industrial design is second to none - just wish they’d focus on a checklist of Top 10 things people want in a phone, and do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've an HTC 10 and it works fine for me. Am I missing something?

I've an HTC 10 and it works fine for me. Am I missing something?

The 10 is a good phone, not a lot wrong with it

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I was a huge HTC fan. My first touch screen phone was a HTC legend, and I was loyal up until the HTC M8. Then I switched to a Galaxy S6 edge. What a disappointing experience. Poor battery. The UI became slower and slower over time. The screen apps would constantly refresh when the screen was activated. So I jumped to the Nexus 6P. Great phone overall. Currently rocking a OnePlus 3t 128gb version. Great phone so far. Camera could be better but great battery life and smooth and fast.
    I really want HTC to to well again and I'm willing to go back if the 11 is a decent phone. No headphone jack will be an instant no for me. I'd like to see Ip68 and a top 3 camera. Don't care for wireless charging personally. Expandable storage would also be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Same here.
    Went from Desire S (loved it) to Samsung Galaxy 7 (?) and experienced nothing but issues so then to the M7 and recently to the 10.

Have loved the stability of all of the HTCs I've owned, very little in the way of issues. But I'm not seeing anything above to tempt me from the 10. The swipe control on the frame, I think I'd find it annoying or buggy and would end up disabling it so then I'm back to a 10 again.

Do hope they turn it around though, my go to phone for anyone asking for recommendations is HTC, above apple or samsung. Yet to try the Sony or 1+ series though.

Taltos wrote: »
    Same here.
    Went from Desire S (loved it) to Samsung Galaxy 7 (?) and experienced nothing but issues so then to the M7 and recently to the 10.

Have loved the stability of all of the HTCs I've owned, very little in the way of issues. But I'm not seeing anything above to tempt me from the 10. The swipe control on the frame, I think I'd find it annoying or buggy and would end up disabling it so then I'm back to a 10 again.

Do hope they turn it around though, my go to phone for anyone asking for recommendations is HTC, above apple or samsung. Yet to try the Sony or 1+ series though.

I'll look at the Huawei P10+ and the Sony xz premium when released. Providing Vodafone stock them. Although I could be tempted by a OnePlus 5 if it appears before the end of June

• Advertisement

The thing that has killed HTC the most is stock Android improving. HTC Sense was far and away the best skin for Android. It actually improved Android. Over time, as Android has improved, HTC have gone more and more towards stock, which is the one of the main things that set them apart. On top of that Samsung have toned down Touchwiz, and made it a lot nicer to use.

I'm taking a complete break from HTC and Samsung at the moment. I'm interested to know what the pricing will be on the 11. If it's the same at the S8, I don't think they can expect to compete. If they can keep down around the €650-700 mark, they might have a chance.

More supposed renders of the 11. They don't match up with photos I've seen, so I'd take them with a grain of salt.

http://www.phonearena.com/image.php?m=Articles.Images&f=name&id=283233&kw=&popup=1

I've also been told that the UI using the frame doesn't scroll like in the promo video, it can only be pressed. Testers are turning off the functionality because it's too easy to accidentally set off. It will be a bit embarrassing if they can't pull off the feature in the video, even if it isn't that amazing or useful in the first place.

Basil3 wrote: »
    More supposed renders of the 11. They don't match up with photos I've seen, so I'd take them with a grain of salt.

http://www.phonearena.com/image.php?m=Articles.Images&f=name&id=283233&kw=&popup=1

I've also been told that the UI using the frame doesn't scroll like in the promo video, it can only be pressed. Testers are turning off the functionality because it's too easy to accidentally set off. It will be a bit embarrassing if they can't pull off the feature in the video, even if it isn't that amazing or useful in the first place.

Do you know if there will be a head phone jack?

P.S wouldn't be impressed with that render either

1jcdub wrote: »
    Do you know if there will be a head phone jack?

P.S wouldn't be impressed with that render either

Afaik, there's no headphone jack, no waterproofing, no wireless charging. Hope I'm wrong, though.

BTW, I'm currently using a device with no headphone jack, and it hasn't bothered me too much so far. Last night i had to run downstairs to get the adapter, though. Still strange they leave them out of big devices, they can't take that much room, or be overly expensive.

Afaik, there's no headphone jack, no waterproofing, no wireless charging. Hope I'm wrong, though.

BTW, I'm currently using a device with no headphone jack, and it hasn't bothered me too much so far. Last night i had to run downstairs to get the adapter, though. Still strange they leave them out of big devices, they can't take that much room, or be overly expensive.
    So no Ip68 , no jack and no wireless charging. Might as well go for the Huawei P10 Plus at that rate. Not a lover of Samsung phones. Would also be interested in the Sony XZ Premium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Had the M8 and M10.

Will debate getting this. Forward facing speakers were a big selling point for me.

As I said previously in this post, I’m not 100% convinced by the functionality of the swiping/squeezing.
    Right now it just looks like a novel way to launch Google Assistant, or HTC Sense Companion - no direct functionality - though, I may be wrong of course.

Looks like a pixel. Not that impressed by it if it is the real deal. That leaves me looking at the Nokia 9, Sony XZ Premium or the OnePlus 5.

• Advertisement

Looks like a pixel. Not that impressed by it if it is the real deal. That leaves me looking at the Nokia 9, Sony XZ Premium or the OnePlus 5.

It is the real thing. Pixel is also an HTC, so not surprising they look similar.

I'll check it out at launch, but not having a hole for a headphone jack will seal it's faith with me unless it comes with Bluetooth headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I'll check it out at launch, but not having a hole for a headphone jack will seal it's faith with me unless it comes with Bluetooth headphones.

What gets me about the lack of the headphone jack on the U Ultra was there was no apparent tradeoff. No bigger battery, or reduction in size, or waterproofing, or anything at all you could point to, to say "that's why the headphone jack had to go". It seems like they got rid of it in pure simulation of other manufacturers. Which is just daft.

Have been told the camera on the 11 is pretty amazing. They've apparently nailed HDR+, as seen on the Pixels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

I actually believe the HTC x10 looks better than this and that's a midrange. I'm not convinced by those specs especially the battery. 3000mah for a 5.5 inch battery ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Boredguy123

thomasj wrote: »
    I actually believe the HTC x10 looks better than this and that's a midrange. I'm not convinced by those specs especially the battery. 3000mah for a 5.5 inch battery ?

Same as the Galaxy s8 and that's 5.8 inches. It seems manufacturers are playing it very safe since note 7 recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

The idea of that Nokia 9 with 5.5 qhd with a 3800 may battery sounds so so good. And no bezels like the galaxy s8. Hope it's true!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

corwill wrote: »
    What gets me about the lack of the headphone jack on the U Ultra was there was no apparent tradeoff. No bigger battery, or reduction in size, or waterproofing, or anything at all you could point to, to say "that's why the headphone jack had to go". It seems like they got rid of it in pure simulation of other manufacturers. Which is just daft.

Headphone output is supposed to be phenomenal on the U ultra, while Apple for example actually regressed going from the iPhone 6s to 7.

Have been told the 11 is IP57, so enough protection to survive a dunk in water, but not enough to go swimming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement