08-02-2021, 10:09   #16
Reckless Abandonment

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictree View Post
Latest GFS has snow all day Thursday and into Friday for east. Total amounts seem to be fairly light though for a frontal event. Sunday/Monday seems to be the one to watch, not out yet though as I type...
It looks snowy on Saturday too.
Advertisement
08-02-2021, 10:20   #17
AuntySnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Abandonment View Post
It looks snowy on Saturday too.
Friday morning very snowy in SE Wicklow and north wexford

Saturday 6pm after a lull back at it with Gusto
If these two were to verify,that would be a fair pile of snow in South Leinster

08-02-2021, 10:23   #18
bazlers

The energy will more than likely get zapped (very techical term) out of that front as it moves across the country rubbing shoulders with that high.
08-02-2021, 10:42   #19
Davaeo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazlers View Post
The energy will more than likely get zapped (very techical term) out of that front as it moves across the country rubbing shoulders with that high.
and the counties that happens over are in for a treat
08-02-2021, 10:45   #20
piplip87

I see GFS precipitation type chart makes multiple attempts of fronts coming up from the south from Thursday. Northern half of the country looks like just snow until it the rain finally comes on Tuesday.

If that where to verify thay could mean rather disruptive snow from the Dublin to Galway line and above. Cavan,Monaghan North Meath look like the sweet spots here.

Whooohoooo my first post commenting on charts lol
Advertisement
08-02-2021, 10:48   #21
Kermit.de.frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazlers View Post
Under pressure alight but if it does it mean colder air has won out and probably another front with snow risk following behind.
Thanks from:
08-02-2021, 10:52   #22
Kermit.de.frog

08-02-2021, 11:30   #23
TheMilkyPirate

That would be a fair dumping for the south/East
(2) thanks from:
08-02-2021, 11:37   #24
Danno

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMilkyPirate View Post

Excellent setup for keeping the cold locked in for another front, with the snow fields keeping the air frigid as it comes up from the southeast.
Advertisement
08-02-2021, 11:48   #25
nacho libre

Yes, if the front on Thursday has too much oomph, it could mean a quicker transition to rain. The best case scenario as has been mentioned is for it slowly to run out of juice. From an imby perspective, I just wish it was all a bit further west. Still if the cold air does win out there maybe further opportunities over the weekend.
08-02-2021, 11:51   #26
Rebelbrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMilkyPirate View Post
If this trend this morning continues, by Thursday I'm not sure we will even see rain down here in Cork..... Up til two days ago this was an all rain affair in Cork on the models, then it was a few hours snow followed by lots of rain. Now that's flipped completely. In fairness, all tallies with Met E's attitude as far back as late last week. Its almost as if the professional meteorologists knew better than us keyboard warriors (with the obvious exceptions to that description!)
(4) thanks from:
08-02-2021, 11:51   #27
Villain

The Met Eireann meteorologist commentary has been updated:

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/meteorologists-commentary

Shower risk:

Thursday into Friday:

08-02-2021, 11:59   #28
nacho libre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelbrowser View Post
If this trend this morning continues, by Thursday I'm not sure we will even see rain down here in Cork..... Up til two days ago this was an all rain affair in Cork on the models, then it was a few hours snow followed by lots of rain. Now that's flipped completely. In fairness, all tallies with Met E's attitude as far back as late last week. Its almost as if the professional meteorologists knew better than us keyboard warriors (with the obvious exceptions to that description!)
As Auntysnow mentioned previously they have access to data we don't see. The Chief forecaster seemed confident something would happen on Thursday, but obviously would not commit to anything until she had to. I imagine Met Eireann also share data with the UKMO. Bear it mind it was mogreps (UKMO'S own model) ,afterall, that indicated that this cold period would be extended, and that the other models would start to back that scenario. It now looks like that will happen.

Last edited by nacho libre; 08-02-2021 at 12:03.
(3) thanks from:
08-02-2021, 12:09   #29
Rebelbrowser

Very interesting Met E update indeed. Their take on Thurs / Fri as of now is "...current projections indicate a spell of sleet and snow spreading north-eastwards over Ireland on Thursday and into Friday bringing accumulations of snow to many areas. However, the snow may transition to rain in some southern and western parts as milder air attempts to move in from the Atlantic...". The word "may" in the final sentence is a big change and has me very interested in the end of the week all of a sudden....
08-02-2021, 12:23   #30
Danno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelbrowser View Post
Very interesting Met E update indeed. Their take on Thurs / Fri as of now is "...current projections indicate a spell of sleet and snow spreading north-eastwards over Ireland on Thursday and into Friday bringing accumulations of snow to many areas. However, the snow may transition to rain in some southern and western parts as milder air attempts to move in from the Atlantic...". The word "may" in the final sentence is a big change and has me very interested in the end of the week all of a sudden....
Updated by Matthew Martin on 08/02/2021

Our old friend Weathercheck has clearly been browsing this forum recently!

Quite an upbeat read and very well written. I do wonder if the first front stalls/fizzles out before getting over to the east?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion