Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No point in trying to better yourself is there ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Kivaro wrote: »
    Jesus, the irony of this post, and the complete lack of insight by the poster.

Why did you bold the words "old people" and claim irony? I don't get your point

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There is always a reason to better yourself, pride in yourself for starters.

I sympathise with anyone in the OP's position but it's just bad luck that these are the times we live in. Most people are struggling and housing is affecting all working or not.

It won't always be like this and it will get better. Stay positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

We have to start seeing housing as part of our infrastructure. It can't just be treated as a commodity to be traded without regulation or we end up where we are today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

my neighbour has a bumper sticker on his car which says something like "my road tax already pays for my water"

i sh1t you not.

I've seen those a few times, a few times I checked the tax disk and it was out of date.

Some folk have no sense of irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭victor8600

Kivaro wrote: »
    But the government is exactly doing that, with social housing.
    They spent 46% over 2017's budget at a cost of €1.14 billion to build primarily social housing. They also plan to spend billions more in the the next few years; again primarily for social housing. ....

Sorry, but I call this a complete and utter BS. Here is a quote from the article which mentions your 46% increase too among other things:
    Rebuilding Ireland - the government’s housing action plan launched in the summer of last year – committed to delivering 47,000 new social housing units by 2021.

These units were to be delivered through a combination of new builds, refurbishments, acquisitions, leasing and rent assistance measures such as the Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) and Housing Assistance Payment (HAP).

No actual new social housing builds were announced for 2018 in this year’s Budget.

Note the last sentence: NO ACTUAL NEW BUILDS FOR 2018. What the government is doing is committing my tax money to give to private landlords and to buy properties, instead of actually building anything. So they are driving house prices up by competing with people who want to buy a home for themselves, and propping up rents by schemes such as HAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Would I be right in saying teachers get paid the same all over the country? In which case, unless you really love Dublin you should probably consider moving to somewhere with cheaper rent and the same salary. Or up-skill to a better paid job. The choice is yours.

Living with strangers isn't for everybody either. Pay your rent first, pay for food and bills and if nothing is left over well that's the cost of living alone. Your relationship status is none of my business but on a teacher salary and Dublin rents, an obvious solution is to get yourself into a relationship with a financially stable individual who can pay half the rent and bills without you feeling forced to scrimp to pay rent or share with strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Why isn't there?

There's billions for broadband, there's billions for the childrens hospital, why is it beyond the range of possibility to borrow another billion to house the population ffs?

Interest rates have never been lower - now is the ideal time to do so. There's no end of land already in state ownership, there's tons of demand, it is clearly in the national interest, far more so than bringing Netflix to west Cork I'd argue.

What's stopping it?

If housing were abundant and HAP was gone and there were enough social homes, investors wouldn't have much income, the housing charity bosses would be unemployed. These people are well connected so it's not in the interest of politicians to upset them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

and if people paid for their water by usage like the rest of the developed world, that 66% of motor tax could go into transport infrastructure.

No, paying double for the same thing is wrong. Scrap motor tax and put the tax on fuel and have water charges separate, then it's fair.

The OP has stated he's nearly 40, with this FFG govt he'll have to find a partner to afford a house and then commute to work in a car paying extortionate car insurance. Want to start a family? Pay extortionate childcare costs and don't ever get sick as having paid extortionate health insurance won't make you jump the A&E queue!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

could you try changing jobs to a school near your fathers house and live with him?

or look at an area where you want to live (and can afford to live) and look for teaching jobs in a commutable distance from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

antix80 wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying teachers get paid the same all over the country? In which case, unless you really love Dublin you should probably consider moving to somewhere with cheaper rent and the same salary. Or up-skill to a better paid job. The choice is yours.

Living with strangers isn't for everybody either. Pay your rent first, pay for food and bills and if nothing is left over well that's the cost of living alone. Your relationship status is none of my business but on a teacher salary and Dublin rents, an obvious solution is to get yourself into a relationship with a financially stable individual who can pay half the rent and bills without you feeling forced to scrimp to pay rent or share with strangers.

A very cold veiw of a relationship or else you are advocating a kind of prostitution in order to have financial security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

klaaaz wrote: »

The OP has stated he's nearly 40, with this FFG govt he'll have to find a partner to afford a house and then commute to work in a car paying extortionate car insurance. Want to start a family? Pay extortionate childcare costs and don't ever get sick as having paid extortionate health insurance won't make you jump the A&E queue!

I'm no fan of FG/FF but who from the available crop would you like to see in government instead?

So 1 billion will house everyone?

1 billion will get you roughly 3,500 houses at a cost of 300k for example.

It's actually even better than that. Apartments can be built in Dublin for under €200k, when you exclude the tax that would come back to the state from the building.

Let's say we spent €2bn, that's 10,000 apartments. The social housing list is currently about 30,000 households in Dublin. Take off what it costs to accommodate those people elsewhere, using HAP or paying for a hotel etc., say €20k per year. Over 10 years it's cost neutral and you save on the 11th year, the housing list drops to 20,000. Do the same again and the housing crisis is gone, HAP is gone, rents drop.

This won't happen because the housing crisis is about ideology, not money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Is the 2.5 hour commute each way or both ways?

Is there not a bus service you can use?

I have a commute of just under 2 hours (each way) and I've been doing it for close to ten years, It's perfectly manageable (although not ideal) if you have a decent bus service (which thankfully I do).

Commuting wouldn't be anywhere near as bad if the bus services in this country were better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

cgcsb wrote: »
    It's actually even better than that. Apartments can be built in Dublin for under €200k, when you exclude the tax that would come back to the state from the building.

Let's say we spent €2bn, that's 10,000 apartments. The social housing list is currently about 30,000 households in Dublin. Take off what it costs to accommodate those people elsewhere, using HAP or paying for a hotel etc., say €20k per year. Over 10 years it's cost neutral and you save on the 11th year, the housing list drops to 20,000. Do the same again and the housing crisis is gone, HAP is gone, rents drop.

Yeah because once you gigt 30,000 in a house at 50 euro a week you won’t have another 30,000 with their hand out.

Once people see a mortgage is for suckers everyone will want the same.

Yeah because once you gigt 30,000 in a house at 50 euro a week you won’t have another 30,000 with their hand out.

Is that really a problem? most of the populaiton of the other European capitals live in social housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Is that really a problem? most of the populaiton of the other European capitals live in social housing.

Do they???

60% of Germans rent.

So should we all stop paying mortgages and expect a social house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

johnmck wrote: »
    What the hell do I do come September? Rent another room in a house with complete strangers. I can't afford a place of my own.

Yes...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

mariaalice wrote: »
    A very cold veiw of a relationship or else you are advocating a kind of prostitution in order to have financial security.

Prostitution would imply the op receives a payment from a person, which isn't the case at all.

What I'm saying that people are usually better off in relationships. Being financially better off is just one reason, but there are other advantages too. Certainly better than sleeping in your childhood bedroom in your parent's home moaning that life isn't fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

neutral and you save on the 11th year, the housing list drops to 20,000. Do the same again and the housing crisis is gone, HAP is gone, rents drop.

The whole HAP scheme is crazy - there's no money to build council houses, but there seems to be no end of it to pay private landlords. You have the state handing tax payers money to (often) non tax payers so that they can pay the mortgage on someone elses house. By the end of it the state has basically just paid over the odds for a house it doesn't own. It's absolutely bonkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Have to laugh at those who suggest the middle east as an option. People spend all their time complaining the lack of social housing and funding for the poor. What do they do it the middle east with regard to social protection? Workers rights? Basic human rights? Etc...
    Those who go and work in the middle east and get tax free salaries are part of the regime there. The property they live in was basically built by slave labour. You are a second class citizen there.
    The hypocrisy of people who complain about social services here and then work in these places is amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Have to laugh at those who suggest the middle east as an option. People spend all their time complaining the lack of social housing and funding for the poor. What do they do it the middle east with regard to social protection? Workers rights? Basic human rights? Etc...
    Those who go and work in the middle east and get tax free salaries are part of the regime there. The property they live in was basically built by slave labour. You are a second class citizen there.
    The hypocrisy of people who complain about social services here and then work in these places is amazing

That is true and one of he reason my husband would not take a job he was offered in the UAE during the down turn, but at the same time its a simpliisitic answer someone not taking a teaching job in the middle east is not goign to change the system there.

Ray Palmer wrote: »

People suit themselves at the end of the day, it makes sense for people in some professions to go there and earn a nice tax free salary and have a nice life. FGFFLab suit themselves and their friends with their housing policy, so why not. Only chumps care about what happens to society at this stage. Humanity is in it's final stages anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I genuinely have empathy for the OP, but why o why did you have to go and blame the poor?

I understand that you're feeling angry and dejected, and for good reasons; but poor people didn't create this absurd, dysfunctional economy. They are little more than a paper-cut on the body of a leper.

You are completely ignoring the real problem, and by blaming the poorest people in society, are absolving of blame the real architects of deprivation and falling living-standards: Irish and European governments, large industry, and globalisation.

Don't know though. Check Albania. Don't seem to do any of that large industry or global markets stuff. I don't think their economy ought to be our model. They could write the book on absurd and dysfunctional.

Taxpayers money is misspent for sure. And yes granted most of that shamefully was on bank bailouts (paying for rich guys' mistakes and keeping them rich when they bet wrong) rather than buying things for the less well off and giving them dole. I don't think it is either/or though. Waste should be tackled at all turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Why isn't there?

There's billions for broadband, there's billions for the childrens hospital, why is it beyond the range of possibility to borrow another billion to house the population ffs?

Interest rates have never been lower - now is the ideal time to do so. There's no end of land already in state ownership, there's tons of demand, it is clearly in the national interest, far more so than bringing Netflix to west Cork I'd argue.

What's stopping it?

What is stopping it is banks telling govt that they want the highest value possible on all their mortgage loan collateral. Limit supply. This arrangement was struck in 2008/9 and will not be changed. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

You do deserve sympathy OP, its really sad that people who work the majority of every week of their lives cant even afford a decent room with a kitchen to rent out, its not asking a whole lot, for the effort most people put into their daily job

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

It's better then paying 2 k a month rent.....

The percentage of income someone in future social housing but on a higher income could be considered.

At 30 percent of income - someone on 600 euro a week would pay 180 a week.

720 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So OP has a good job, that they like, have had their education subsidised throughout but because they haven't achieved everything they want they want to simply give up? You now have a permanent job, which unlike most people you can almost never lose it, and will only ever have pay increases. Pension is sorted.

How about looking at a different profession, one that earns more money? Or starting your own business? Doing grinds, or something?

What about starting up a summer school with the huge holidays you get every year. Or using that time to take classes in investments etc.

You say your a teacher, and I would say I feel sorry for the children you teach. A bit of a struggle and you, despite having so many advantages that many people would kill for, instead want to feel sorry for yourself.

Hours of commuting? Really, you finish at 4 every day. And off for most of the summer. Whatever 'hardships' you feel you will face is as nothing compared to what many others deal with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

topper75 wrote: »
    You are not seeing your opportunities OP and only see crisis - each and every one of those kids you are teaching buys drugs.
    Why can't the dealer be you?
    Most dealers would kill (probably even literally) for market access like yours.
    In 18 months you'll be turning the key in the door of your Killiney mansion.
    You won't have just bettered yourself; you'll have bested yourself. *exhales doobie smoke*

😂

antix80 wrote: »

Hmmm easier said than done! I was in a long-term relationship, very cautious these days because of how I ended up being treated!

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So OP has a good job, that they like, have had their education subsidised throughout but because they haven't achieved everything they want they want to simply give up? You now have a permanent job, which unlike most people you can almost never lose it, and will only ever have pay increases. Pension is sorted.

How about looking at a different profession, one that earns more money? Or starting your own business? Doing grinds, or something?

What about starting up a summer school with the huge holidays you get every year. Or using that time to take classes in investments etc.

You say your a teacher, and I would say I feel sorry for the children you teach. A bit of a struggle and you, despite having so many advantages that many people would kill for, instead want to feel sorry for yourself.

Hours of commuting? Really, you finish at 4 every day. And off for most of the summer. Whatever 'hardships' you feel you will face is as nothing compared to what many others deal with.

You are right Leroy, I should be more grateful.

Advertisement