Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Healthy baby aborted at 15 weeks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

bruschi wrote: »
    My own fault for clicking into the thread.

But the lack of empathy to the parents who actively wanted a child and have lost it due to medical negligence, the "told you so" comments about how this was to be expected to happen. That the parents have no right to complain about this.

Its actually disgusting some of the comments on here. They show a real sense of being glad to see this happened so they can get on their moral high horse again, regardless of facts that the 8th would have made little or no difference here. Point scoring over a couple having an abortion on what was actually a healthy baby.

Meanwhile a couple are grieving over a lost pregnancy they clearly wanted.

The master of the Rotunda was on th raido this morning its unlikely to be medical negligence no test is perfect there is alway a small marging of error that is why they do more than one test they can do up to 3 tests yet it still will not be a certainty Yeah some of the comment here are really odd.

It is a bit worring that people do not seem to understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

mariaalice wrote: »
    The master of the Rotunda was on th raido this morning its unlikely to be medical negligence no test is perfect there is alway a small marging of error that is why they do more than one test they can do up to 3 tests yet it still will not be a certititanty. Yeah some of the comment here are really odd.

Very "worring"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Why do you say the eighth would have made no difference here.

They would have got the same diagnosis, they would have still decided on abortion, they would have had to travel to the UK for it. The end result would have still been the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Wow pro life people seem really happy about the death of a foetus. That's not very Christian.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The master of the Rotunda was on th raido this morning its unlikely to be medical negligence no test is perfect there is alway a small marging of error that is why they do more than one test they can do up to 3 tests yet it still will not be a certititanty. Yeah some of the comment here are really odd.

Not often ive agreed with you in the past on range of issues , but this is 100% accurate.

There is no such thing as a foolproof test.

The courts are making an absolute balls of the Cancer Issues presently. And this case here may be similar.

People can only act on the information at hand. And it has to be accepted by everyone that medical tests give best known results, but in the world of genetics and medicines there is no 100%.

If we cant accept those facts then the whole system just collapses.

• Advertisement

In fairness, what's more "worrying" is a doctor being asked for legal advice on national radio.

The same thing happened recently with TV and radio doctors completely misunderstanding that the "absolute confidence" test for screening is not referring to scientific absolute confidence. As you'd expect, it's a legal measurement.

I don't think anybody thinks this isn't going to end up before the courts, nor should anyone be surprised by the comments of the Master of the Rotunda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

RIP to the little baby and my thoughts are with the parents. Hopefully they can recover from this tragedy.

In fairness, what's more "worrying" is a doctor being asked for legal advice on national radio.

The same thing happened recently with TV and radio doctors completely misunderstanding that the "absolute confidence" test for screening is not referring to scientific absolute confidence. As you'd expect, it's a legal measurement.

I don't think anybody doubts this isn't going to end up before the courts, nor should anyone be surprised by the comments of the Master of the Rotunda.

He was not asked for a legal opnion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Considering that there is no time restriction for time on a termination for FFA they (whoever 'they' are... the doctors, the parents) they really jumped the gun by not waiting on diagnostic test results to come back rather than relying on screening tests.

I get the quicker is better mentality, but only, like you say, if the certainty isn't compromised.

It would be nice if people didn't jump on the **** the parents bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if we expect 100% successful medical diagnoses on pain of legal action we are quickly going to have no health service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sad case, of course they'll now be multi millionaires and hopefully use that wealth to bring attention to this case and in doing so save others from the same faith of losing a perfectly healthy child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Wow pro life people seem really happy about the death of a foetus. That's not very Christian.

This has been said a few times now and I strongly object to it. It's the very same as saying pro repeal people were absolutely delighted by Savita 's death as a means of giving weight to their cause. Both of these cases, on opposite ends of the spectrum, are dreadful and no one, but no one takes delight in either case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I support abortion.

But i'm curious, in this instance if the 8th hadn't been changed would the baby have been aborted (in Ireland)?

What are the facts? without getting emotive over what has happened here please.

You mean would it have been covered by POLDPA? I’m not sure, anyone know?

Sad case, of course they'll now be multi millionaires and hopefully use that wealth to bring attention to this case and in doing so save others from the same faith of losing a perfectly healthy child.

multi millionaires? How is that going to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

The 8th amendment would have given a legal right to life to this poor defenceless innocent human life, and prevented his or her killing. Sad but true. All the right on lefty liberal 'woke' brigade : are you proud now?

theres rules against putting into a reply about what I really think about people like you, I'd hate to be banned because of what I should say but wont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Its not a baby, it's a foetus, what does it matter?

Very warey of the legal profession in Ireland not saying they all have issues far from.

However.

I looked up something about the cervical smear test, all of sudden I started gettin 'adverst' on my facebook from solicitors practices with helpfull 'information' on uderstanding bowel screaing and cervical screaming.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    This has been said a few times now and I strongly object to it. It's the very same as saying pro repeal people were absolutely delighted by Savita 's death as a means of giving weight to their cause. Both of these cases, on opposite ends of the spectrum, are dreadful and no one, but no one takes delight in either case.

One of the first comments was this is the case we have been waiting for. So sounds like delight to me.

I agree with you on Savita though, I thought some of it was in very bad taste.

No medical test is definitive, its the quest for and the belief in certainty that is the heart of the problem.

Every risk in life can not be eliminated but somehow we are evolving a society when we think we can take the risk out of everything.

True but we should endeavour to minimise risk as much as we can. That’s a never-ending and noble goal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The 8th amendment would have given a legal right to life to this poor defenceless innocent human life, and prevented his or her killing. Sad but true. All the right on lefty liberal 'woke' brigade : are you proud now?

Very proud. Thanks.

The decision made by this family is none of my or your business. That’s what over 60% of people in Ireland voted for.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

You mean would it have been covered by POLDPA? I’m not sure, anyone know?

No, it wouldn't have. POLDPA was only if the threat was to the life of the mother while the foetus still had a heartbeat.

People are making out here that a little collateral damage is grand. This is an innocent defenceless human being we're talking about. 1 mistake is too many.

I’ve got terminal cancer because a careless doctor hand-waved me away. That doctor is still practicing. There will always be human casualties of human error in medicine. Happens all the time unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

We should match on the dail and demand another referendum before it's too late

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

:rolleyes:

Off you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

As is your right, but I very much doubt politicians would be willing to touch this issue considering the landslide result.

There was more than 35 years between the referenda installing and removing the 8th, so I think you're in for a long battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭fits

This is awfully sad. I’m a carrier with 50% risk of passing on a serious chromosomal abnormality to a foetus so I have looked into this a bit. No one would go for a cvs test without good reason so I would guess that the abnormality showed up in a harmony test and was confirmed in the cvs. This was due to the mosaicism so it is really unfortunate but not really anyone’s fault. The probability of that happening must be absolutely tiny. Heartbreaking for the couple concerned though. My thoughts go out to them.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

2/10 must try harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

multi millionaires? How is that going to happen?

If the couple in question decide to take legal action.

Off you go so? Or maybe you won't bother?

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    If the couple in question decide to take legal action.

They are they had their solicitors on the one o clock news.

Advertisement