Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are the new hoovers all sh!te?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    We live in a dacia duster world of consumer spending

I had a Dacia duster for 5 years, drove the ****e out of it. Was a great little motor, and tough as nails.

Anyway, back on topic. Won a Dyson in a work comp years ago, still going strong, hit little vacuum. Bought a v6 couple of years ago, useless piece of ****. Wouldn't buy a battery one again.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

When i was younger, I used to have to do the dusting and the brother hoovered. When he grew up, it was all up to me. Can't remember what hoover we had, but it was only ok. Mother upgraded to a Henry and it was definitely better.

When I eventually had my own place, I bought a cheap Dyson, ie: Vax cyclone type thingy. It was meh. It came to a stage that I wasn't hoovering because it took so long and had to go over and over the same dirt to pick it all up. I needed a new laptop, so got the laptop and a Dyson Big Ball Animal 2. As the name suggests, it's a beast of a yoke. Hoovering time was cut by 75% because it picked up everything first time.

7 or so years later, i'm back with parents and brought it with me. They're very impressed, and poor Henry has been relegated to back up. The only complaint the mother had was that it's heavy, and it's heavy enough I suppose. Once complaint I had is that the bowl for collecting the dust is quite small. And I got a free hard/carpet floor head attachment, no need to change and can go from hard floor to carpet and back in 1 go, collecting everything on the way.

So, 7 years later, and it still leaves me mickey raw. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Bought a new set of real Miele bags and a new filter and the little Miele is back to new. It sc1800 watts so powerful enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Vacuum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I spotted a Henry in a builders skip about 9 years ago. Dragged it out of the broken cement blocks and rubbish and brought it home.
    Our fancy and expensive(ish) German made Karcher vacuum had died at 2 year old, so its pipe and attachments got grafted onto the Henry.
    Its still going strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Hmmm. Everybody here with a Henry seems to love them. I had one for a few years. Thought it was a bit crap. Always felt like it was a bit blocked but it wasnt, bag wasnt full. I took it apart a few times to really check. Got a voucher for Arnotts for our wedding, got a Dyson V10. Suction may be average enough compared to mains wired vacuums, but the thing is so damn handy. Never going back to a wired vacuum. Although their marketing and Mr Dyson himself are irritating enough to make me look at other wireless brands next time I need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I work in other peoples houses a lot and sometimes I need a hoover for 5 0r 10 mins. Normally it's handiest to ask the owner if they have a hoover handy rather than getting mine from the van. I've come across some mediocre yokes in my time but I've always found Henrys and Mieles to be consistent.

If I need something with a bit more clout I've a 20+ yr old Festo. My brother bought it second hand and used it with panel beating sanders for a few years. As someone above said, it can still suck a golf ball through 6ft of garden hose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

We had a Henry for years and it wasn't much good. Proper old school one with the metal case but the suction wasnt great. I still havnt seen anything that compares to the Miele 2000w ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

caff wrote: »
    What kind of bulbs are you buying? Replaced all the bulbs in my house with leds from city electrical factors if anything the ones I got for bedside lamps were too bright had to swap them out for cooler ones.

I have been through the entire development range, from early CFL designs to bundles of ultrabrite discrete LEDs to SMD LEDs and now COB LED and LED strips. In my humble opinion and experience none last as long as a traditional candescent bulb, there are also issues with emission angles and lux levels, not to mention the price being paid for them. I have some E14 mini spot ceiling mount fittings that used to happily take a 60w traditional bulb, but anything I have tried over the low wattage development years have given very poor results in comparison. How is anyone non tech minded even supposed to decide upon which lux and colour temp levels they require?

They are getting better, but my main point is that the pressure for development is forced onto the consumer instead of the manufacturers - same with vacum cleaners, pass legislation to reduce the current consumption (and suction) and get the market to complain in order to force further development.... oh, and tax the consumer too if you can get away with it - its for their own good. Get the tax payer to pay for the energy companies to develop the new energy alternatives (through industry subsidies) that they will then ultimately charge the same consumers for using. It's kind of like the bank bailout - Joe and Jane citizen paid dearly to stop them going bust so that they could continue to fleece us.

Anyway, while somewhat related to the thread in terms of the reasons why modern cleaners are worse than old, the bulb discussion is probably off topic, so in the words of Duncan Banatyne off de Dragon's Den ..... Ayem Ooot, at this point.

Advertisement